Sympathetic Decepticons

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by fleshling, Jun 29, 2009.

1. fleshling

fleshling Well-Known Member

After seeing Revenge of the Fallen a couple of times now, I have to say that I am really enjoying the fact that the Decepticons have a really good motivation and are presented in as sympathetic of a light as possible given their plans. While, I think the writing is god-awful for the most part, they've really done a good job fleshing out the Decepticons.

The Decepticons are trying to prevent the extinction of their race.

Now, in this scenario, I'm not talking about the Fallen. He seems like a pretty boilerplate bad guy. I don't really see anything compelling about him, TBH.

Megatron on the other hand seems to have a lot of depth in this one. There's the argument going around that the Autobots and the humans are a little overzealous in their Decepticon hunting as evidenced by the calculated hunt and deactivation of Demolishor and Sideways. I have to say that I somewhat agree with this.

Megatron's primary motivation it seems is to prevent the extinction of the Transformers. While it's true that he thinks nothing of humans and takes pleasure in their suffering, I can't say that I'd have a very good opinion of them either given the scenario that took place. That is, they imprisoned him for so long, and who knows what else they did to him during that time. Megatron had done nothing to them up until that point. Keeping that in mind, I would certainly side with Megatron over the vileness of the human race (if I were not human).

He doesn't just succumb to a blind bloodlust, either. He expresses remorse at losing the cube, loyalty to the Fallen, conviction for making things right (for the Decepticons at least), fear at the possibility of his own demise and outright sorrow when the Fallen is defeated. I thought that they really made an effort to present a more complex Megatron than what was necessary. Since the rest of the writing in the movie is so lackluster, it's a little surprising to me that they gave as much thought to Megatron's character as they did.

2. iamamachine

iamamachine colonyofcells

News Credits:
    Megatron and the Fallen were just trying to save the Transformers by using the sun harvester to get energy since the AllSpark exploded in TF1. Optimus stopped Megatron and Fallen, the 2 saviors of Cybertron, so Optimus is a traitor to the Transformers species and Optimus is just a tree hugger and a human species lover. The human species itself has killed countless species just to have farm land and to build houses.

3. mentat_emre

mentat_emre Well-Known Member

Moral or immoral, decepticons always had solid goals than Autobots. Like conquering the universe (heh yea it is little lame but solid). Autobots are just being anti-decepticon. If decepticons stay low for a while, autobots will be divided and lose their character. I agree that movie showed decepticon's goals and motivation clearly this time.

4. deltaprime

deltaprime The Christian Transfan

Here's what I think. Cybertron wouldn't be so grossly unpopulated if Megatron hadn't wanted power for himself in the first place. His lust for power overshadowed his care for Cybertron. Once he got the power he wanted, his eyes were opened to the destruction the war caused. But would he blame himself for it? Probably not. Megatron wouldn't have to try to save Cybertron if he hadn't destroyed its inhabitants in the first place!

5. iamamachine

iamamachine colonyofcells

News Credits:
    According to the movieverse, the civil war started when the Fallen wanted to sacrifice the human species in order to use the sun harvester to benefit all Cybertronians. The other 6 Primes were the environmentalists who wanted to save the human species and opposed the Fallen and his Decepticon followers like Megatron.

6. Nemesis_Dirge

Nemesis_Dirge Banned

News Credits:
    yeah, but in his view it would not be destroying the inhabitants of cybertron but liberating it from the ones that did not share his view/submit to his rule over cybertron.....

7. mentat_emre

mentat_emre Well-Known Member

Blame the autobots. If they obeyed the megatron, none of this would have happened. Innocents transformers lifes ruined during the civil war:) 

8. jonatron26

jonatron26 Well-Known Member

decepticons, the good guys? yesss....
    but if megatron did save his race and he was the ruler , no doubt his dilusions of grandier will cause him to seek more power and conquer more planets. so the autobots have to stop the cons to keep freedom alive throughout the cosmos. other cons would support megatron or imitate his actions, so all decepticons would have to be taken care of. and i bet that w/ every death prime feels the weight of war on his shoulders and can never forget.

9. Vexza

Vexza Nerdicon

Not to mention they were going to blow up the Sun to make energon to keep their hatchlings alive.

10. 03Mach1

03Mach1 Reason Has No Voice

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Yep. That was the agreement made by the original Primes. They would only harvest suns that had no planets with life orbiting it. Sounds fair enough to me.

11. jametron

jametron Release the Kraken!!!!!!!

News Credits:
    SHIT YEAH!

And Hitler, with all his heart, was only trying to save Germany and preserve his people too. :lol 

12. ILoveDinobot

ILoveDinobot Arise Rodimus Prime

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Decepticons aren't evil, their methods aren't always the best though.

13. JKahn913

JKahn913 Bunch of Mooncalves

Yeah. You go tell them that, with their razor teeth, as they harvest your brain!

14. Defenestrator

Defenestrator Definitive Opinion

Best tactical analysis EVAR

15. ILoveDinobot

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Do you understand what I said at all? They were trying to get information they thought would help. They went about it the wrong way.

16. blueandwhite

blueandwhite Well-Known Member

Given the Earth's proximity to the sun, is blowing it up really a good idea for the Decepticons? Perhaps they are simply misguided.

17. ILoveDinobot

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    They were going to harness the energy. I don't think they were randomly going to disperse it with an explosion.

Ok let's put it this way. You have a beloved pet cat. A dog comes by and kills it. Is that dog evil? Or was simply doing something he thought he needed to do to survive? You assume he's evil because he had no regards about how you felt upon killing this cat? Yes yes, I know Decepticons are much more smarter than acting out of instinct but I am trying to think of an analogy. ;) 

18. tac2m

tac2m Member

Prime says it best..."You wont stop at just one". Look at War history and you'll see that the Tyrants and Dictators were typically trying to "ensure" their way of life regaurless of the cost. Ever read the Declaration of independance there is a pretty important line in there regaurding peoples rights: But when a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same Object evinces a design to reduce them under absolute Despotism, it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such Government, and provide new Guards for their future security. That's what Prime and the Autobots are. Minutemen, fighting against the Red-coats. They see the evil in Megatrons Govnernship of Cybertron.

19. Decay_is_awesome

Decay_is_awesome Well-Known Member

i think megatrons goal of helping his race survive was somewhat noble, but he was going to exterminate another race to do it. not so noble. i dont think he really wanted to save his race because he was a nice guy either, he didnt really seem to care about them as individuals, just soldiers in his army. he didnt want to keep his race alive and happy, he wanted to keep his army strong and loyal.

i did feel a bit sorry for demolishor. his comment about earth not being the autobots to rule was somewhat justified, and he was pretty brutally killed. in the end though he was just waiting to help the fallen kill everyone, and his being on earth was in itself an arguably hostile act. he was only there to do damage. he wasnt doing it when they found him, but it was his major intent.

20. UltraMagnus2008

UltraMagnus2008 Autobot

News Credits:
    I think for the general audience people are still going to be thinking the decepticons are evil and deserve death based off of how they acted in the first film. After reading the prequel comics and books I realized something that the Constructicons aren't really warriors they have functioning jobs. Mostly involving harvesting energy and alloys. Demolisher was there for that purpose most likely and acted out of self defense sure he caused tons of damage but he was basically a bull in a China shop trying to get the fuck out of town! And oddly enough the Constructicons all used to work for Optimus before he discovered he was a Prime and was still chief of the science dep. Demolisher probably couldn't be reasoned with at all though all things considered but maybe if the Autobots didn't have to be so covert about transforming in public Prime could have dropped in and given the dude an option at least. Once the fight started the autobots really had no choice but to take his ass out.