SXS-R05 Naughty (Not Nautica)

Discussion in 'Transformers 3rd Party Discussion' started by Jhund, Jan 12, 2018.

1. Honesty

Honesty honestly, Honesty!

News Credits:
    Yep, can’t wait. All of my “chug”/IDW stuff is voyager and up*.

*with the exceptions of the MMC Arcee and her retools and figures who are deluxe in nature but scale correctly with voyagers like MT Tailgate and Swerve.

• Like Like x 3
  2. JoeScibelli

JoeScibelli That one Piranacon fanboy

It's also worth noting that larger toys are a bit easier on engineering, less cramped space for a designer to work in. I think she'll probably be on the larger side of the CHUG styled figures.

• Like Like x 3
  3. GR1ML0CK

GR1ML0CK Dinobot Commander

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    If she was voyager scale then would that make her scale with mp figures? Asking for a friend

• Like Like x 2
  4. Honesty

News Credits:
    SXS’ figures feels along the lines of GCrearitions plastic quality, don’t have that kind of “premium” feel most other MP stuff have, and are even less “premium”-feeling than MMC’s stuff (which in turn are sometimes ironically better feeling in-hand than actual MP figures).

She was never in G1 (IDW original), so I wouldn’t really know if she would fit in or not. That is ultimately your decision - but I suppose I would look at the Headmasters/masterforce/nonsense and see where Brainstorm falls - she should be about the same height if not a head smaller.

• Like Like x 3
  5. Robogeek28

Robogeek28 Proud grandpa

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    A friend huh? ;)  :lol 

• Like Like x 3
  6. Computron

Computron Well-Known Member

hoping it to be deluxe size so i can display with my fellow fembots

hasbro arcee chromia windblade
    mmc solus prime
    potp moonracer

• Like Like x 1
  7. GR1ML0CK

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    I was just wondering, cause if she’s not a deluxe then I can’t really put her with the other ladies. My only other option would be to shoehorn her into the mp shelf.

8. JoeScibelli

JoeScibelli That one Piranacon fanboy

MMC uses some alchemy level plastic, hard to beat them.

9. Jhund

Jhund Screws>Pins

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    they say V 级别. So for now until they say otherwise she would be taller , seems like they are doing their own idw series , can’t be certain , mandarin too rusty.

if that’s the case then .... she would prolly fit in better in your mp shelf unless they changed their mind of her current size.

10. GR1ML0CK

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    :buttrock Fembots!

• Like Like x 2
  11. TM2 Dinobot

TM2 Dinobot closet otaku

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Get the Hasbro one to display. She's deluxe size. Look at pictures of Hot Flame. He's a small voyager. That's ho bug Nautica will be.

12. kaijuguy19

kaijuguy19 Keyblade Wielder

News Credits:
    Looking at her again I think this would be a great base for their own take on Windblade with enough retooling and remolding.

• Like Like x 3
  13. Lodril

Lodril Poet of Destruction

Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Except if Rodimus is the same height as Cyclonus, and Cyclonus is the same height as Riptide... Riptide is about three heads taller than she is.
    [​IMG]

She's frequently been shown to be smaller than Skids, who is the same size as Chromedome, who is... drumroll please... shorter than Rodimus. But back to Brainstorm, here he is in the same image with her and a number of others (including Skids) where she is clearly in the foreground and yet still dramatically smaller. Unless they're standing on a tilted floor, she is at least a head shorter than Skids (which is consistent with the depiction of the two in their dancing scene) and since Brainstorm is leaning forward, he is likely two or even three heads taller. There are very few references that show both heads and feet, but clearly Brainstorm is farther from the viewer here than Velocity, and Velocity is farther than Nautica yet still much larger... that perspective doesn't make sense unless she's smaller.
    [​IMG]

Now, as you obliquely suggest, it's possible she's drawn smaller because 'sexism', but that would be an issue to raise with IDW... an attempt to reproduce her in 'scale' with Rodimus would necessarily place her as at least a head smaller (if we theorize that Rodimus is the size of Skids, which he sometimes is) or two heads smaller (judging by their relative scale to Megatron) or even THREE heads smaller (judging by their relative height to Brainstorm/Riptide).

Again, this is all inconsistent throughout, but as far as I'm aware, she's always been shown as smaller, and as changeable as they are both in canon and context that has remained constant.

• Like Like x 2
  14. Exousia

Exousia Lost Lighter

News Credits:
    No one has a reliable size/scale in the comics. Some have a pretty consistent relative scale (Ultra Magnus and Megatron are big guys, Swerve and Tailgate are small guys), but that's really the best you get. Rodimus is my go-to for explaining this. He's about a head shorter than Optimus Prime and a bit more than half the size of Megatron. But Optimus is only a head shorter than Megatron, so, that can't work. The issue is that, as a carbot, Rodimus is sometimes drawn at carbot height, but also as a leader, he's sometimes drawn taller, standing with other leaders like Optimus and Megatron. Artists draw the characters at different heights to one another all the time.

Take your own example. I've seen frames where Nautica is the same size height as Brainstorm, and others where she's the same height as Nightbeat, but in your image there, those two guys are clearly different heights. Or, take a look at these:

Roddy Height 1.jpg Roddy Height 2.jpg

• Like Like x 10
  15. Honesty

News Credits:
    @Exousia -

You said it better than I could.

Despite everything, even if she is “supposed to be” smaller than say, Rodimus and Brainstorm, there is no way she should be as small as a deluxe would make her. That’s way too small.

If they could make her a half a head/head smaller than Rodimus (won’t happen if they hear the same mold), then she would still be taller than a normal deluxe or even a taller deluxe such as RtS/BiS Cyclonus and MMC Arcee.

• Like Like x 4
  16. Lodril

Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    This is the problem with the 3P trend of inflation. Deluxe is the majority size in regular CHUG collection.
    If you buy totally into a 3P-only collection, then that's of no concern to you, but typically the 3P figures try to complement the main line, rather than entirely supplant it. Deluxe is not 'small' in a mixed collection, it's just the regular size.

If Nautica is a Voyager, she is not small, she's not even average, she's large, which is something she's never shown to be in the comics thus far. As a Voyager, she'd be much larger than Skids (at least until SXS gets around to releasing their companion version of Skids - in a decade or so at their present rate), she's either much larger than Deluxe Brainstorm or only slightly smaller than that giant other one.

And it's clear some people don't care about relative size among their figures and will prefer a gargantuan Nautica who can help defend Tokyo from Godzilla, and I'm happy if those guys can get that... but for my money, and lack of patience for 3P to provide an entire cast before the world has moved on, I'd much rather have a figure that looks appropriate with the main line, and the main line is mostly Deluxes. The people she's closest to in size in the comics are sold by Hasbro as Deluxes, and so if she's to fit into that broader world, then that's the size class that makes the most sense.

• Like Like x 2
  17. Exousia

Exousia Lost Lighter

News Credits:
    This would be more of an issue if HasTak had gone deeper into doing IDW-based figures. But they didn't, and even what they made doesn't scale all that well with each other. Trailbreaker and Skids both seem kind of small, IIRC, while Brainstorm is too large to scale with their mostly-deluxe range (which interestingly makes him scale well with recent 3rd Party offerings). Official Magnus is a little small, but I think he and H/TT Megatron are passable.

Actually... are Trailbreaker and Skids the only deluxe Lost Light bots they did? I mean, outside of the _ Wars trilogy, in which most of the designs have been more G1 than IDW.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Lodril

Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Chromedome was definitely IDW inspired, but also Getaway, Perceptor, Swerve, Tailgate, Crosscut. I think Chromia had a cameo when they showed up on Cybertron, didn't she? Obviously fellow Camien Windblade is mostly IDW, and Victorion features heavily and might cross over... And the line keeps moving forward, and Deluxe will continue to be the mainstay, which means more cast members will be filled in here and there, either because they do well in IDW and so Hasbro makes them, or Hasbro instructs IDW to throw them into the mix. Either way, most would be Deluxes and Deluxes remain the mainstay of the line until Wal-Mart or whoever changes their mind on stocking policies.

19. kukuburd

kukuburd Eh?

Isit just me, or are the chunky thighs in sxs's comic rendition of nautica oddly sexy?

• Like Like x 4
  20. Starganderfish

Starganderfish Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ah, there's the problem, right there. Neither MMC or SXS are doing IDW figures to "complement" HasTaks' widely divergent IDW scale. They are both focused on doing figures that comply with their own internal scale, which fortunately for us, happens to be pretty much the same for scale for both companies.
    Neither MMC nor SXS are aiming for their figures to be minor additions to a HasTak colection. They would prefer your collection to be exclusively their own products.
    MMC Whirl is designed to be from the Stormbringer era.
    upload_2018-1-15_16-55-58.jpeg
    MMC Cyclonus is designed to be...um ... a nasty cop-out and re-use of of an existing mould that doesn't even remotely work for the character.
    So yes, you are correct, neither are meant to be MTMTE...:D 

• Like Like x 13