SXS-R05 Naughty (Not Nautica)

Discussion in 'Transformers 3rd Party Discussion' started by Jhund, Jan 12, 2018.

1. TM2 Dinobot

TM2 Dinobot closeted otaku

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Dude, theres a ton of guys in the boards who can paint them. I can do those for you if you want.

• Like Like x 1
  2. kukuburd

kukuburd Eh?

I pain your feel bro, but u gotta wait for mmc to be done with the 476839th repaint of their calidus mold first.

• Like Like x 4
  3. Jhund

Jhund Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    DF80DD36-7E96-4601-BD42-CD726DD8769A.jpeg
    I’m not sure how much shorter or taller she will be , but she should be within the same height bracket as their own rodimus ,if they took that into consideration .

• Like Like x 4
  4. Bumblemus Prime

Bumblemus Prime Cracked in the head

Thanks bro. I have a guy, who is currently working on a Rung commission, so I don't want to overload him...

5. Naroki

Naroki Well-Known Member

100% buy from me.

6. Robogeek28

Robogeek28 Who're you calling a geek?

News Credits:
    That size would be perfect for me.

7. mx-01 archon

mx-01 archon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    This is only the case because Calidus was built from a design concept by Cassy Sark originally intended for a rendition of Tarn (the only real evidence left of this is the wheels embedded in the shoulders, but if you've seen those original renders before MMC redid Tarn from the ground up, then there's lots of recognizable elements). They had probably already paid him for design work at that point, and tried to get some use out if it rather than scrapping it entirely.

MMC does very IDW accurate work when their toys are designed to be so. The DJD are spot-on perfect (well, "The Pet" is a bit off, but I'm assuming it's for the sake of potentially pulling double-duty as Ravage, to get more mileage out of the mold), and Tyrant/Megatron was a near pitch-perfect recreation of his robot mode (alt-mode is obviously quite a bit off, since we've only just learned how it was supposed to look). We've also seen a concept render of what was obviously meant to be LSotW Guzzle (used for an April Fools day joke as "Omega Spreem") which was also super accurate, although no physical toy has surfaced of it yet.

As inaccurate as Calidus is, I still find his look to be a bit more "balanced" than SXS's version. SXS heavily favours Rodimus' robot mode, and thus his vehicle mode looks very cobbled-together and ill-proportioned. MMC gets the look of the vehicle mode far closer to the comic design, even if you can still nitpick fine detail inaccuracies. The "sharper" sculpting of MMC's robot mode more closely evokes Alex Milne's original design sketches for Rodimus, whereas SXS's seems to hearken more to Roche.

• Like Like x 1
  8. GR1ML0CK

GR1ML0CK Dinobot Commander

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    I have no idea who this even is and don’t care. Fembots bitch!! Bring em.

• Like Like x 4
  9. mx-01 archon

News Credits:
    IDW original character, so if you haven't been keeping up with the comics, then yeah, you'd have no exposure to her. She's a fairly prominent character there, though. Probably enough to be considered part of the main Lost Light cast for the post-Dark Cybertron stories.

10. GR1ML0CK

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Did some homework and have no interest in the new comics but I love some of the characters from it. Carnifex is My Overlord!! I love windblade to death and I love this Nautica. I’m at the point in my collection where I buy shit that I like and put it where I think it fits. Good times

• Like Like x 6
  11. mx-01 archon

News Credits:
    Ideally, SXS should probably also give us IDW Firestar with this mold, as the two at least have very similar torso designs.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Exousia

Exousia Lost Lighter

News Credits:
    Probably. I'm actually in a bit of a spot there, since I tend to avoid repaints aside from some of the classic sets (Seekers and Datsuns, mainly), but he looks so good in the LL deco, and I'm a huge Rodimus fan. So I'm very tempted to break my rule and get him.

Not really. I mean, MMC is certainly pretty well proven in the quality department, but their Remaster stuff has been very hit-or-miss in terms of actual likeness to IDW design. Their Rodiums was 'off-model' in a number of ways, their Megatron turned into a jet instead of a tank, their Whirl was close in style but way off in bulkiness, and Cyclonus was way, way off in every possible way. Their DJD has looked pretty close to perfect, but those are the only ones, in my opinion. A lot of their issues can be blamed on them trying to really push for getting at least two uses out of basically every mold in the line, which wouldn't be so bad, but they seem to keep choosing characters that really aren't close enough in design to be mold-mates.

I'm honestly not sure how tall she should be. I mean, the comics aren't exactly super consistent (as it always is with TFs). My general feeling is that Rodiums is (or should be) "tall carbot height," which would be around the same height as guys like Ratchet and Trailbreaker. But he seems to range from being around standard carbot height to nearly as tall as Optimus-- who himself pretty consistently matches with Megatron in height, though Megatron is definitely much taller than Rodimus.

As long as she's close in size to their Rodimus, I'm good.

• Like Like x 1
  13. rosewater

rosewater Well-Known Member

Jesus. Makes me glad I missed out on the Hasbro boxed set. If she's anything like Hot Flame, I'm in.

• Like Like x 3
  14. GR1ML0CK

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    I was ready to get that figure but ended up buying a lot of other stuff. Want Fembots but not redeco dudes lol with the exception of tfcc slipstream

15. Mormolyce

Mormolyce Well-Known Member

Top marks for the name ahaha!

16. AniCosmos

AniCosmos Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I assume that she'll be the exact same height as I think this is a retool/remold/rewhatever of Hot Flame. Her appearance in his comic shares so many design elements with Hot Flame that I'd bet all my Bitcoin (I have none) that they share engineering of some sort. And I'm down with that, and any other fembots we can get out of this mold.

I do have one issue with that though... now I'll need a new 3P Arcee. Azelia is just too damn short these days!

• Like Like x 1
  17. mx-01 archon

News Credits:
    ???

Aside from both sharing typical Milne details (as all his designs do), there's very little in common with Rodimus and Nautica's designs.

Again the reuse potential here is forward, as you can easily redo Nautica into Firestar. Velocity is also a possibility, if you allow a bit more leeway there.

18. zfarsh

zfarsh Big Penguin Chief

News Credits:
    Hmmm, I thought I was done with chug, but, maybe not. You have my attention.

19. Optronix1087

Optronix1087 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I'm up for this so long as its not a fragile and tab-centric figure like Hot Flame. I really liked the SXS Blurr which is a solid and well designed figure. Hot Flame is clever, but the alt mode is trash to me, and compared to MMC its just more like model kit than a well engineered figure.

20. bullettrain

bullettrain Master Investigator

News Credits:
    Why did this take SO LONG!?!?