SWTF Tie Pilot / Tie Bomber

Discussion in 'Transformers Feedback & Reviews' started by Gears, Oct 9, 2008.

1. Gears

Gears buh-buh-body ya Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    He is a pretty cool figure in my book. First of all the Bomber mode is almost perfect. Holds together tightly and just looks badass. Has storage for his weapon. The missile shoots but it's very finicky and doesn't lock in place very well. I remedied this by putting it in the launcher upside down so it would stop constantly firing. Transformation is fun and unique and almost surprises you that such a tall robot comes from a relatively small ship. His leg did pop off the first time I tried to extend it but if you're more careful it should hold together fine. The head sculpt is awesome. He can hold his weapon like a gun, or just hold the missile like a club. I prefer to fold his wings backwards like how it is in my pic, I think it looks better. Also you can remove the wings if you want to. His bot mode holds together pretty nicely, but the heels are kind of floppy. Still you can get some cool poses out of him. He's one of the better SWTF's IMO.

Pics I took:

Attached Files:

2. Vangelus

Vangelus Long Live the New Flesh Moderator Content Contributor

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I...really, really like that bot mode. O_O Gonna have to keep my eye out for this one.

I think it's the HUGE THROBBING WINGSHIELDS that do it for me.

3. goestron

goestron Well-Known Member

Now that you mention the giant windshields.

It looks a lot like Big-O's forearms. If that figure can pull them both up in front, with the elbows pointing down, using them like shields, I am sold.

4. Kupp

Kupp Ford Fanboy TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Hmm, that actually does look quite nice. I may grab one or two of him to go with Vader on my shelf.

5. SureShot90

SureShot90 Peace=superior firepower

Ebay:
    I'm definetely getting this one. I love TIE's and his robot mode looks really cool.

6. Darkravager

Darkravager Zombie Hunter

If it came with the little pilot, I would be all over that.

7. Sentinel

Sentinel TF Museum Curator Moderator News Staff

News Credits:
    Absolutely agreed. I grabbed him the other day and I really like this figure, but the addition of the mini-drivers again would be awesome. My only complaints about this guy are the floppy heels and that I can't get the canopy to lock down on his back either. I got one side to stay down, but the canopy that goes over that part just flops about. Otherwise, the scale, the transformation, the detail from both modes is excellent. If you collect this line I recommend grabbing him.

8. Depthcharge

Depthcharge Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Really nice figure this one. The TIE Bomber mode looks fantastic, is sturdy, and most of all its just got some an original profile to it. Transformation is fairly complex,a bit more involved I would say than your average deluxe mold. What I like most about the figure is the fact that his unusual vehicle mode shape produces an equally unusual/unique transformation. Robot mode looks really good though has a bit of floppiness due to his legs not really locking together all that well and of course the giant wings hanging off his arms. You can get the wings to be out of the way a little better by rotating them around as most people seem to be doing but his ability to pose is still limited by them which is a little frustrating given that his actual articulation is really good. All in all, a good figure. This guy is easily the best SWTF to date or at least he ranks up there with the Darth Star. It's the first SWTF that I've picked up that I really thought reminded me of a transformer in terms of its overall quality.

9. Chaos Muffin

Chaos Muffin Misadventure Veteran

Love the wing shields

[​IMG]

10. soundwaveCA

soundwaveCA Veteran

News Credits:
    I was actually commenting in Toys R Us the other day how he looked better then your average SWTF. Sure I'm not going to buy it but still looked cool.

11. Chaos Muffin

Yeah he still has alot of SWTF-sie flaws in robot mode

Ship mode gets point for being able to pull the wings out more if needed, or rotated for a different look, or just having fun with all the panels.
    Wish it had landing gears, I like landing gears. I know it's a TIE, but I still want landing gears

12. Chaos Muffin

check out the gerwalk

[​IMG]

13. Altercron

Altercron Well-Known Member

Looks like my DeathStarVader will be getting some company.

14. Skylock

Skylock Rogue

News Credits:
    Not a big fan of the crossovers but this is sick

15. 0R10N P4X

0R10N P4X Banned

News Credits:
    The Tie Bomber is the 2nd worse SWTF mold. The worst being X-Wing Skywalker.

16. Astrotrain52

Astrotrain52 Former Green Kool-aider

Don't ask how, but I get vibes of a Cybertronian Thundercracker from this guy (look at the face from a distance...and the blue color used).

Maybe it's just me. It's damn cool, keeping my eyes open for the first crossover I'll probably buy.

17. Faxon

Faxon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Care to expand on that point Ori0n p4x?

18. Chaos Muffin

I agree it's one of the best SWTF's made, but posing his arms can be a pain in the ass with those 2 big wings on them. Turned mine back to TIE mode and I don't really want to go through all that again :lol 

19. Philister

Philister Teutonicons Rising!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    [​IMG]
    For more pics, click on the image above

Robot Mode: The entire concept of the Star Wars Crossover line of toys is for familiar Star Wars vehicles to transform into their signature pilots. For the evil Empire’s various TIE models this means, of course, those guys in the black variant of the standard Stormtrooper armour. We saw them briefly in all three original movies, I believe. And the robot mode of this toy nicely manages to depict these evil pilots.

Of course they aren’t entirely black, as the bluish-grey parts of the TIE bomber have to go somewhere and there are those two big wing panels. These go onto the arms of the robot, looking nicely like big shields, and as the robot is very nicely articulated, he can bring them to bear in a number of cool poses. The look and colours of the robot actually remind me of Movie Blackout, which certainly isn’t a bad thing.

What else? The TIE Bomber Pilot comes with a missile launcher for a hand weapon, a simple gun launching a black missile. His big lower legs give him a solid stance and articulation is, as I mentioned already, very nice. So bottom line: a very nice robot mode, no complaints worth mentioning.

Alternate Mode: The TIE bomber is, as the name says, the bomber sibling of the classic TIE fighter and was seen in “The Empire Strikes Back”, bombing asteroids as the Empire was hunting the Millennium Falcon. Between the familiar side panels (the Twin Ion Engines that give the TIE his name) you have a double hull, one being the cockpit (with the little pilot figure inside), the other housing the bombs.

The vehicle folds together very nicely (though the transformation is quite a bit harder than it looks), there are no visible robot parts, and the gun / missile launcher can be mounted underneath the fighter. The cockpit opens up to seat the figure. So to sum it up: a fully satisfying vehicle mode, no complaints at all.

Remarks: Looking back on the Star Wars Crossover Transformers, I’m kind of miffed that they didn’t make it a true crossover instead of just applying the concept of transforming vehicles to the Star Wars universe. I’d have loved a Grimlock who transforms into a robotic Rancor or the Aerialbots as the various Rebel starfighter types. Instead we a got a line of Star Wars vehicles that just happen to transform into robots modelled after Star Wars characters. Don’t get me wrong, there were some nice toys in that line, but overall I think a lot of potential was missed out on here.

Anyway, the TIE Bomber Pilot was the last SW Crossover toy I bought some years ago and I only now get around to reviewing him because there were always other toys in the pipeline I felt more inspired by. Still, he is a pretty nice toy in both modes and the TIE Bomber happens to be my favourite among the various TIE models. So bottom line: a nice toy. Certainly not a must have, but good.

Rating: B

20. RedAlert Rescue

RedAlert Rescue Banned

News Credits:
    Nice to see I'm not the only one on here still thinking about Star Wars Transformers from time to time.

Good toy I'd buy a mid grey repaint if they ever want to re-issue him. The ones with an armoured human alt mode work best usually as they already look like a robot - but I still maintain a soft spot for the Jedi (Delta) Starfighters despite their intrinsic sillyness.

I don't have Yoda but he remains very much "A Grail" for me.