SWTF Starfighter Vader, Redeco Clone Trooper

Discussion in 'Transformers Feedback & Reviews' started by Pravus Prime, Dec 20, 2006.

1. Pravus Prime

Pravus Prime Sorcerer

News Credits:
    Figured I'd start a thread on the latest from the SWTF line. Quick review for the lazy, Redeco Clone Trooper, well worth it. Vader, somewhat questionable. I guess I'll start with the admission that I don't particularly like the brand, and that I've skipped out on most of the figures; in fact, these 2 double my SWTF collection to four, and only 3 molds total.

Sorry, no pics, but there are plenty online elsewhere. Since both are remolds of existing figures, I'm not going to be too deep here.

Vader: Vader is the third usage of the Obi-wan, Anakin Jedi Starfighter mold. Outside of colors and the head, it's pretty much the same figure. So, if you've got one of those, you know this figure. If you hate those molds, you'll probably hate this one too, and vice versa. This time the figure is mostly dark gray, with black and gloss black highlights. Transformation isn't too hard, and the resulting figure is a bit disproportioned with a smallish head (not the same as the first Darth Vader), and short arms in relation to his torso/hips. With a small nail and a hammer, you can easilly remove the wrist pins, which adds a point of articulation, and allows for fully flexible wrists, which vastly improves the figure IMHO. The head, as mentioned, isn't the same as the Vader TIE fighters, and has red eyes and for some reason has silver highlights. While from apearances it looks like it's a black cockpit, it's actually a very, very dark purple, and is slightly transparant. The Vader mini-figure looks like it's the same from the TIE fighter, but unlike Obi-wan, doesn't sit as well in the cockpit due to being a narrower mini-figure.

Another change was the silver of the cockpit, it's far lighter, "chromier" than the previous version. The decal of the fighter score on the side has been altered, to a Jedi Fighter outline, perhaps marking the Jedi he's slaughtered.

As I mentioned, if you liked the Obi-wan or Anakin figures, you'll probably really like this one. It's a good "villian" figure, and it's a solid and quick Transformation. If you hate the mold, you'll probably want to pass on this one, unless you really like Darth Vader. Personally, I really like the figure, but that's because I like the Vader look, I like the mech design, and I like the fighter design. Besides, I can think of many, many Transformers that are worse than this guy. Though, once again, personally, I'm going to be adding some Decepticon stickers to this one.

Clone Trooper. Really, the reason I'm doing this at all is because of this guy. I did a search and didn't find a single review of him, which seems to really be a shame. I'm pretty impressed by this guy; so much so I'm considering buying a regular version or two if they're ever on sale to build a little squadron of this guy.

His tigershark camo and painted face on the nose make this a much more visually interesting figure than his earlier version giving him some "personality", though outside of that, they're the same exact mold. For those that love to Gerwalk, you can with this figure; in fact, it's a pretty good gerwalk, with the arms still attached to the wings and the bent feet and backwards knees it actually looks surprisingly good and even "natural"

Transformation is a bit odd, but once you get used to it, pretty easy. The end result is a pretty well articulated figure, and he's pretty well armed. Two large guns that shoot missles, and two shoulder cannons. Like his bretheren, outside of the fists, his alt mode is completely hidden outside of some odd lines to the figure. My only grip(es) with the figure include the head. It's unarticulated, so he can only look forward, and the "mouth" is unpainted. (And it's a slightly dorky looking head) Outside of that, I'm honestly shocked at how nice of a figure he is. If you only get one SWTF, it should be this one. Though it doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out, both figures have flip up wings, though the instructions doesn't make mention of this. The mini-Clone Trooper is also different then the other mini-figures, in that he's got seperate arm articulation for each arm.

As an aside, I was also impressed by the box art. Both show a pretty cool figure on the box, it looks like some nice art for some modern comic. They also for some reason forewent the "tech specs", and instead included a little "bio" paragraph about the figure instead. Laughably both figures are mistransformed on the back of the box, Vaders wings aren't in place an his vent is still up. The Clone Trooper doesn't have his legs extended.

Pricewise, at about $15 they're a tad pricey, at $10 I would wholeheartedly suggest them. I don't feel ripped off at all though, at least not with these two. Your mileage may vary.

2. megatroptimus

megatroptimus Translatorminator

News Credits:
    Got both today... Vader's wings have a hard time staying in in fighter mode and the little figure doesn'T want to fit inside the cockpit in robot mode unless I place it out of its seat.

The ARC-170 looks awesome and the robot is more interesting looking than the previous version... except for the head. It looks like a DUCK! A mighty duck actually. I think I need to paint the "glasses" or whatever they are. Nice little figure though.

I wouldn't say they're must-have (the first Vader was better), but they'Re good.

3. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Dry built

News Credits:
    Actually, the ARC Fighter has a remolded head and new pilot. Also the "Dorky head" is designed after the Cone Commander helmets.

4. Phy

Phy I want... ROOM SERVICE!!

News Credits:
    By the way, don't know if this has been mentioned elsewhere, but it seems like every Vader Jedi Starfighter I've seen, the Imperial logos on the wings are partially scraped off. I don't know if it's supposed to be like that, or if they rubbed in the package too much or what, but it's kind of ghastly.

5. Feralstorm

Feralstorm I ship Nick & Judy TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I'm guessing they're supposed to look 'weathered'.