Swords!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Genovevo, Mar 31, 2006.

1. Genovevo

Genovevo Genovevo

Ok so here are three of the N things I love the most:

Women!
    Transformers
    Swords

Just to knbow: Does anybody here collect swords? I'd like to know if there are cooler swords arround besides the ones that make Marto and Kit Rae (Kurgan's my favorite! :rock  )

2. TheIncredibleHulk

TheIncredibleHulk Bad Luck Incarnate

I used to collect knives, but I had a nasty habit of leaving them in people :confused2 

3. Predaking

Predaking Well-Known Member

Only sword I have is a katana (dull blade btw) I won at a Legend of the Five Rings CCG tournament. I got the shorter sword of the two they are giving out as prizes for coming up second. I am thinking about getting the Snake Eye replica sword BBTS has for preorder. In the future if I got a lot of space I may get a Katana set.

4. Genovevo

Genovevo Genovevo

I really dig the thundercats sword with the light up insignia... (btw the stainless steel one, not the plastic hehe)

5. Aaron

Aaron Master of Crystalocution Moderator Content Contributor

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    I've got a few swords, and various other pointy things...

I'd take pics, but my online storage has gone wonky.

6. Nephthys

Nephthys Banned

I have wooden bokken and I also have a jo(which is a staff).
    [​IMG]

7. flamepanther

flamepanther Interested, but not really

Woah! The Sword of Omens? Where can I get such a thing?

8. Hound_Dawg

Hound_Dawg Well-Known Member

I have the Paul Chen version of this sword, fully functional, very nice to scare off door to door salesmen

other then that. I have most of the lord of the rings swords, a few rapiers, and a kitana.

9. Eradicator

Eradicator I am Antithesis

I have several. I collect mostly movie/TV swords, but I have some tohers as well. I don't have any functional ones yet, but someday I will. I have the United Cutlery version of Gandalf's sword from lord of the Rings, Duncan Macleod's katana made by Marto, a Marto Excalibur that was used several time on Highlander, and the United Cutlery version of the sword from Mask of Zorro to name a few. My favorite is my Marto El Cid Tizona which is probably what would first come to mind if someone said display swords, but I still like it. Probably because I had the toy of it as a kid and would pretend it was the sword of Omens. They recently put out a sword from Buffy that I want mainly because it is only slightly modyfied from an El Cid. I also hope to get the sword from the headless horseman in Tim Burton's Sleepy Holow.

Hound_Dawg. I've seen pictures of that one. It looks like the spikes work much better than the Marto version. Probably less expensive as well. Cool to hear you have one.

10. godsenddeath

godsenddeath . TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    The vast majority of swords are nothing more than wall adornments.....

Criswell Katanas are very highly rated. Not sure if he's
    still making them tho, it's a little while since i've really been into the cutlery thing.

11. Unclejoe420

Unclejoe420 Well-Known Member

I've tried making my own wooden swords, with varying degress of success. Am working on a large zweihander / broadsword atm.

12. Nephthys

Nephthys Banned

I don't care for swords for ornament sake. If I'm going to own a sword, I want to know how to use it.Which I do with mine.

13. Eradicator

Eradicator I am Antithesis

Since there's very little use for swords now anyway, I don't mind the ornament thing. Of course I still hold them in my hands at times anyway. I would like to have just one functional sword just to know it's functional.

14. Zero Prime

Zero Prime Windows user no more

15. Ra88

Ra88 Dutchman!

News Credits:
    Looks like the dagger-disc from Aliens vs Predator. Very nice indeed. :rock 

Have a couple of swords myself; two short blades on a wooden crest, a blunt (and OBVIOUSLY fake) katana and my personal favourite: a longblade with a gold handle and various red and black detailing along the base. High attention to details on that one, it even has 'Duque de Alba' engraved on the blade (since I bought it in Spain, that place is swords paradise!).

The most beautiful sword I've ever seen though was a simply MASSIVE broadsword of at least 2 meters long. It had a blade that just might as well been a mirror, and had gold and diamands (fake?) all over it. Still wished I could have bought it, despite the 1000 euros pricetag.

16. Nephthys

Nephthys Banned

No use? A few martial arts incorperate swords in their practices. One is Aikido,which I have taken and so does tai chi.
    And there broad sword play.There are people who are train in the use of them and compete in competitions.

17. flamepanther

I think he means that we don't carry swords around with us or fight wars with them anymore.

18. Nephthys

Nephthys Banned

That is true. But still we do have use for them in other ways as I stated.

19. flamepanther

Also true. But it's a bit like if I said there wasn't much use for muskets or cannons anymore, even though they're used a lot by historical reenactors. Plenty of people say there's little use for painting anymore now that we have color photographs, but it's not something I'd take offence at. Meh, it's not my argument in the first place :) 

20. Cast

Cast Roll the dice

While I don’t own one as yet I pretty much own most people with a broad sword, or I can at least keep blocking until they wear them selves out until they are to warn out to counter. Also having looked at both European style sword combat totally owns Eastern style, it has far better control and direct damage, so it’s always funny to see the samurai/ninja wanna be’s get owned but a fat bearded guy with basically a lump of metal with a sharp edge.