Customs: Swoop from Cyb. Brimstone

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by CyclopianVision, Feb 1, 2007.

1. CyclopianVision

CyclopianVision Banned

2. Codimus Prime

Codimus Prime Missouri Toy Hunter

thats actually pretty cool... might be something for hasbro to think about.

$40 seems a little high, but every piece of art has it's price.

3. Motor_Master

Motor_Master Lets the balls touch TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    The only think that looks odd to me is all the yellow on the head. The mold most definately works for swoop, but I think some more paint apps on the head to break up the yellow would help.

4. Cobra_Commander

Cobra_Commander Master of tactics TFW2005 Supporter

love those machine guns on his shoulders i want one :lol 

5. Hotspot17

Hotspot17 Search and Rescue: Vet

News Credits:
    Wow, that's nice. Could be a little bit better if his head wasn't so yellow.

6. Orodruin

Orodruin @deathformer TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I agree about the head; the bottom of the mouth should be red, it'd match the original more that way too.

7. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Dry built

News Credits:
    Surprise surprise, another repaint that's been done to death going for an insane amount of money on ebay. He didn't even bother to repaint the hands.

8. timshinn73

timshinn73 Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    What a strange comment. Dripping with jealousy.

I say good for him. It looks nice and people do seem to bid on these repaints.

Why begrudge someone for putting some effort into something and selling it?

Again, very strange.

9. wheeljaxx

wheeljaxx Banned

people don't realise that it takes hours and hours, sometimes weeks to do a good custom, and then expect to get one for cheap. when you factor in the costs of material, and the time, some of these things go for cheap inmy opinion. My classics WJ isn't even done yet, and it's already cost me $60 on materials, and over 10 hours of work. you take 10 hours at min wage, thats well over $100 alone, and if i were to ever sell, it, i'd want my costs back atleast.

10. Grimlock_13

Grimlock_13 Reformed Geewunner

News Credits:
    Wow thats pretty cool

11. WhiteMocha

WhiteMocha TFW2005 Supporter

I really like this custom! It looks like he did a lot of work beyond just re-painting it.

Just for the heck of it, one thing I think would have been really neat (but completely unrealistically difficult) would have been to remove the pterosaur head-piece, and re-cast it in clear plastic like the original Swoop.

Looking at this, I totally wish they would remold this figure along these lines and release it as Classics Swoop.

12. REDLINE

REDLINE longer days, plz? Veteran

News Credits:
    I hear you wheeljaxx.. its like they imagine us just simply pointing a can of spray paint at it and it magically changing colorschemes :lol 

13. fabexmax

fabexmax Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I posted pics of this SWOOP and a custom Grimlock asking could i get some help in making one or commissioning someone to, and got NO replies? It was just a few days ago in the Kitbash forums....What happened? I would have liked some feedback like this... (sighs, and walks away like David Banner in the old HULK series, piano playing and all)... where's the love!

14. CyclopianVision

CyclopianVision Banned

Sorry,

Didn't realize Brimstone customs were that common. I'm off and on the boards so I miss stuff all the time.

Just thought it was cool and maybe some of the local kitbashers would want to try their hand at it.

15. ckhtiger

ckhtiger old skool fool

hey, don't worry about it man, I've never seen it. I really liked it, and haven't seen anything about that mold before that I liked.

16. Night Flame

Night Flame TFW2005 Supporter

You know, I've often thought about writing up a good counterpoint article for people who think customs and scratchbuilts should be sold for mass-release prices. I spend a lot of time dealing with Japanese Mecha forums and around those parts, completed models that sell in kit form for around fifty bucks American sell for several hundreds, or in some cases, several thousands when completed. Why? Because most people into that sort of mecha has tried building their own model at some point and realize the amount of work that goes into them. Having built a couple of MG Gundams and one PG, and done so badly I might add, I can totally appreciate the work that goes into the good ones. Sitting down and planning material costs alone on some of the kitbashes I have planned for next summer I've realized I'm going to be making a deluxe Transformer cost me, before it's done, well over a hundred dollars in materials, not to mention the weeks it may take to complete each one.

You know what people would say if they wanted to buy it? They'd offer me fifteen bucks for it and think that they were doing me a huge favor, then get pissed off when I said no.

It was much the same when I tried offering energon cubes that were dyed acrylic. I understand my mistake now, but at the time it really bothered me that folks don't understand materials aren't free, and a time commitment isn't something I'll put into something I'm just going to give away.

As for this custom, it's excellent, and it's too bad it isn't selling for much more than that in my mind.

17. Infosaur

Infosaur Well-Known Member

I really like that mold, the Swoop looks great.

But if Hasbro's gonna re-do it I'd like to see it as a Cybertron Seeker.

All you have to do is change the 'beak' leg to a cockpit/nosecone, and remold the arms with guns. Then when you transform it (just start in beast mode) flip it over, turn the 'head' piece (robot leg) 180. And line it up with the crotch. Straighten the beast legs forward.

voila! Cyberjet.

18. CompuGlobal HyperMegatron

CompuGlobal HyperMegatron Nobody summons Megatron

I wish I could easily turn my Brimstone into Swoop. :( 

19. Gears

Gears buh-buh-body ya Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    That rocks!

20. Runamuck

Runamuck Swindle Knows Best

News Credits:
    That looks nice. Yeah, it would have been nice to get the hands painted too, but oh, well. It still looks good. And I think the reason why the head is so yellow is because he was trying for a cartoon-like Swoop.