Switching Sides

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by weeklyhero, Jul 7, 2008.

1. SMOG

SMOG Vocabchampion ArgueTitan

Blades isn't a psycho... he's just a scrapper.

In that sense, he's actually a lot like Sideswipe... both are guys who really like to fight, and aren't afraid to fight dirty when they do. The main difference is that Blades knows his job, and sticks to it even when he'd much rather be fighting Cons face-to-face on the ground, while Sideswipe on the other hand has a problem following orders.

I think this means that both of them have the violent streak that would allow them to fit in with the Cons, but Sideswipe is really the maverick who plays by his own rules... so I think he could actually be more likely to switch.

Speaking of psychos... I'll say it again: TECHNOBOTS. The only one that isn't a maniac or a dangerous lunatic is Lightspeed (and Computron, of course). The others would fit in with the Decepticons any day.

Of the Aerialbots, the only one with a rotten streak is Slingshot, but I don't see the others as having it in them.

As for everybody saying Octane could switch...
    "A greedy, mean-spirited bully. Enjoys watching fellow Decepticons become painfully inoperative from lack of fuel. Forces Autobots off roads and Aerialbots to abort landings just for fun. Crashes make him laugh." --G1 Tech Specs.

Yeah, that guy has Autobot written alllllll over him. :rolleyes: 

zmog

2. Superion33

Superion33 Banned

I thought that Blitzwing was a person that was portrayed as not really being committed to the Decepticon cause. The way they make him out to be, he seems like an older, wiser Decepticon who realizes the error of war. Am I totally off base here?

3. Shark Jumper

Shark Jumper さあ、お前の罪を数えろ

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Don't hear much mention about Sixshot.

He did supposedly become "Greatshot"...

4. Johnator

Johnator 'Til All Are Gone!

:lol 

5. Johnator

Johnator 'Til All Are Gone!

I guess it depends what you are going by. In the cartoon Blitzwing did betray Galvatron and supposedly went off on his own. That said I don't see him as an Autobot either. In the same episode they pratically offered him Autobot membership and he flatout turned it down if I remember correctly.

6. Spiderus Prime

Spiderus Prime TFW SpongeBob and TTV's MS 2.0

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Shockwave? Wheelie? Starscream?

7. sunnyswipe

sunnyswipe autobot

News Credits:
    hubcap-hes portrayed as being self-serving and untrustworthy
    carnivac- he switched sides during ""earthforce"to avenge cattillas death
    doubledealer-c'mon people.......
    megatron and soundwave- defected to the autobots and took over in target:2006!lol

8. Ramrider

Ramrider TF Art Lad

That depends on your reference. That was only in the Japanese continuity, where Sixshot was a pretty different character to what he is in the West. In Japan he was a somewhat honourable ninja, but here, he's always been a single-minded engine of destruction.

Shockwave has worked with Autobots from time to time, but generally it's only ever been to further his own ends, and generally some level of duplicitiousness going on.
    Wheelie's hardly a bad guy; he's a tough little scrapper, and extremely loyal once his trust has been earned. Besides, he hates the Decepticons, big-time.
    Starscream reluctantly became a good guy (sort of) when he was 'corrupted' by the Matrix, so there's the slightest possibility that under certain circumstances he might have joined the Autobots if he'd been fully modded in the aftermath. Certainly under normal circumstances, though, he's a Decepticon through and through. He's primarily loyal to himself, and he'd know that there's pretty much no way that being an Autobot would benefit him.

Carnivac, I'll give you, although I'll admit that wasn't one of the more logical bits of characterisation as I saw it.

Doubledealer's a no-no. How does a 'bot switch sides when he's never actually picked one? Doubledealer isn't officially with either faction; he just works for whoever's paying more at the moment.

And I disagree with Hubcap, too. He is, to some extent, 'self-serving and untrustworthy', but not in the Decepticon sense.
    More than anything, he's just lazy; he talks a good game, but can't be bothered to play it, so he talks more in an attempt to cover up the fact that he's not doing anything worthwhile. He's not a bad guy - just not a particularly useful good guy.
    And frankly, I think even if he did decide to join the Decepticons, he wouldn't last long unless he really stepped up his game (or unless Megatron found a way to utilise his fast-talking skills).

9. Optimus Sledge

Optimus Sledge Yar har fiddle di dee

I think people are being too hard on Red Alert. He was a deranged paranoiac in one episode as a result of injury. So you're basically saying that if he received the right kind of damage to his brain, he might switch sides. Well, who wouldn't?

10. Ops_was_a_truck

Ops_was_a_truck JOOOLIE ANDREWWWWWS!!!!!!

Ebay:
    Yeah, but...I dunno, I see plot convenience being something easy to mess with in the TF universe. Regardless of his "evil guy" bio, I'm sure that, if some writer wanted Octane to give it all up and help out the Autobots - regardless of his purpose - I figure they could swing it and use the ties to that Sandstorm-Octane season 3 episode as the cause.

11. SMOG

"Cruel sense of humor, loud-mouthed, belligerent, and brash." --G1 TechSpec Bio for Blitzwing

No, I think you might be a bit off-base. :) 

Blitzwing is one of those Decepticons who thoroughly enjoys being a violent thug. At best, he would be like that character type that appears in every "squad" style anime... the obnoxious, macho, gun-obsessed military nut, who's always bragging and bullying others.

Which is not to say the Autobots don't have guys like that already... Roadbuster, Grimlock and Scattershot come to mind. It takes all kinds, and in a war, factions are rarely defined by "nice guys on one side, jerks on the other". :) 

I dislike the way that characters like Blitz and Octane have been portrayed in the TV series, because while there can still be room for character development, it just seems like lazy writing... using any old Con for their story's purposes, while basically ignoring what were supposed to be defining traits of the characters. There are Cons who might be decent candidates for defection... but Octane and Blitzwing just shouldnt' fall into that category.

But then, I'm a die-hard Tech Spec/Marvel purist... I understand that for many fans, the TV show completely defined Transformers for them.

BTW... Hubcap's a good choice, I think... he's exactly the kind of character who would sell out the Autobots at some crucial moment, and then act like he had no other choice. He's the kind of guy who's always smiling, but it's never genuine... just a mask for how basically selfish he is.

Also 2 guys I don't think have been mentioned yet... Topspin and TwinTwist... especially TwinTwist!

zmog

12. Ramrider

Ramrider TF Art Lad

Just thought I'd point out: I think while Roadbuster is "a macho, gun-obsessed military nut", I don't think he's the obnoxious bully... or indeed particularly a jerk at all.

Well-said, that man! :D 

13. Radioactive Ravage

Radioactive Ravage Ancient

Aren't the Constructicons displeased with the fact that they're builders, yet are always forced to become Devastator and destroy what they build?

14. Ramrider

Ramrider TF Art Lad

Don't think that's ever been established anywhere, no. Certainly Grapple has that problem, but not the Constructicons. In fact some of them (Bonecrusher in particular) postively relish it.

Besides, they mostly just destroy what everyone else builds. :p 

15. UltraDevmodious

UltraDevmodious Well-Known Member

damn i have wanted to see this too.

16. Ops_was_a_truck

Ebay:
    See, I'm guilty of forgetting about this occasionally - I know that some folks consider the Marvel comics continuity to be their G1, while other folks consider the cartoon to be their G1. I fall into the latter category and, while I sure as hell ain't bashing the G1 comic, it's just not the first thing that jumps to my head when I think of the original Transformers.

To me, the first thing that comes to mind when I think of "g1 Transformers" is a light-hearted cartoon show with some scary and awesome and neat moments, with a host of do-good Autobots and some crazy/creepy/silly Decepticons. Writers had their way with these characters left and right in the cartoon, so I've always been of the light-hearted opinion that "Feh - these characters can be messed with a little bit." That's why, at least to me, it seems plausible that, say, Blitzwing and Octane could be influenced to join the Decepticons - a few corny lines later, and they're good guys! Wooo!

17. Ops_was_a_truck

Ebay:
    Double Post For Great Justice

18. mechabot-1

mechabot-1 Banned

thundercracker did switch or abandoned the decepticon cause until megatron reprogrammed him anyway....

19. SMOG

Yeah, actually you're right. I remembered him being a gung-ho combat fiend, but I think I was transposing Scattershot's personality onto him. Oops.

Fair enough... I tended to be the type of kid who liked to classify everything. Rather than the comic and cartoon, I really default to the Tech Specs in all things... that and the Transformers Universe. That was, and continues to be, my bible for Transformers.

The toys and Tech Specs came first... everything after is "fanon" in my eyes! :) 

Though there are some things in both the cartoon and the comic that have charmed me one way or another. The cartoon certainly gave us more distinct and endearing characterizations than the comics did... but if they strayed too far from the original "source", it bugged me.

zmog

20. GENOZAUR

GENOZAUR Banned

sixshot is a good example when it comes to his character eventually siding with the autobots as greatshot in the japanese g1 animated continuity