Switching Sides

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by weeklyhero, Jul 7, 2008.

1. weeklyhero

weeklyhero Prototytan

Which Autobots and Decepticons do you think would be the most likely to switch factions? I think some of them play by different rules and ethics and could possibly fit in with the enemy. Also, which ones would you want to switch most?

2. Optimus Sledge

Optimus Sledge Yar har fiddle di dee

Skyfire sorta did switch sides. I'm sure some people will say they can see Thundercracker switching sides, but... nah.

Sunstreaker switching sides would be interesting, and could fit his personality. Make for a good story if Sideswipe stays an Autobot.

3. weeklyhero

weeklyhero Prototytan

I've always thought Thundercracker too, so I'm sure that's the most common answer. I've wondered why exactly the Dinobots never joined the Decepticons with the love for combat and hate towards practically everything else.

4. doomtron

doomtron seeker

News Credits:
    grimlock?

5. Bryan

Bryan ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Punch finally losing it?

I woulda said Repugnus a while back, but that one Mosaic was so awesome it convinced me he was an Autobot through and through.

6. Greyryder

Greyryder Kitbashed

Sunstreaker would never switch sides. Purple 's just not his color. :p 

I could see Grimlock switching sides. Like the 'Cons need another simple minded bully. I'm pretty sure Perceptor is already working for the Decepticons. Would explain why he determined a small hole to be a "fatal" wound.

Can't really think of any 'Cons that would switch sides. Maybe Cyclonus. He was big into the whole "honor" thing.

7. benzo

benzo Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Octane and Punch

8. Ops_was_a_truck

Ops_was_a_truck JOOOLIE ANDREWWWWWS!!!!!!

Ebay:
    That spotlight where Mirage was a Decepticon was pretty cool - I could see him switching sides, given enough convincing.

9. Opticron Primal

Opticron Primal Comin' up OOOs!

News Credits:
    Mirage would make sense (The spotlight was entertaining, yet confusing), as would Sunstreaker.

Ultra Magnus kinda did it in the Dreamwave comics when he served under Shockwave. It would be interesting to see him switch over. Perhaps he finally snaps from being kinda stuck in Prime's shadow as nothing but a "Prime with a battlesuit" and ends up becoming...Nemisis....Prime.......? That could work, kinda.

10. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Dry built

News Credits:
    Apparently the only thing that kept Sunstreaker from being a 'con was that "purple is just NOT his colour!"or something like that. :lol 

11. Sideways

Sideways Banned

Sideways is one of those 'bots who jump from one to the other.

12. AniProwl

AniProwl Banned

News Credits:
    Ah, Side-switchers
    Almost every TF series has one or two
    G1: Blitzwing and Octane
    BW: Dinobot(s), BA, Ravage
    BM: Rninox/Tankor, Silverbolt, (shortly) Obsisidan and Strika
    RID: The Decepticons and Ultra Magnus
    A: Starscream and Sideways
    E: Majority of Cons
    C: Scourge, Mudflap, and Sideways
    Animated: Constructicons and Wreck-Gar :lol (so far)

13. Dropshot

Dropshot Transform your destiny

News Credits:
    I can see shockwave changing sides just to overthrow Megatron.

But the most obvious are Thundercracker, Sunstreaker and kinda Grimlock.

14. Obvious Prime

Obvious Prime Purple Repaint

News Credits:
    That'd make for one awesome comic.

15. Obvious Prime

Obvious Prime Purple Repaint

News Credits:
    Another stoopid double post!

Last edited: Jul 8, 2008
  16. Optimus Sledge

Is there something in one of the fictions where Sunstreaker says purple isn't his colour? I remember reading a fanfic where it turns out one of the things that annoys him is that purple is one of his favorite colours, but he can't us it because it's a "Decepticon colour."

17. Greyryder

Greyryder Kitbashed

I think it might have been the extended Marvel Bio that said possibly one of the reasons that Sunstreaker isn't a Decepticon is that Purple just isn't his color.

18. Ramrider

Ramrider TF Art Lad

I don't see that. Purple complements yellow. :p 

But yeah. Punch has potential, if Counterpunch finally takes hold permanently.

Sunstreaker could quite easily, I think; I have a feeling that Sideswipe's virtually the only thing keeping him on the straight and narrow. Whether he'd actually join the Decepticons if he left the Autobots is another matter.

Thundercracker is one of the answers a lot of people go for, but 'not being entirely dedicated to the Decepticon cause' isn't the same thing as having Autobot sympathies. He's still pretty ruthless as I see it, and he has no sympathy for anything that can't fly. That doesn't seem like Autobot mentality. I've almost always read him as being pretty darned delinquent, but realising that he's not actually going to get anywhere in life without something to push him - and the Decepticons give him the kick up the arse that he needs. I imagine if he wasn't with the Decepticons, he'd still cause almost as much destruction, just without any real reason.

I've never been entirely sure about Mirage. I think there's definite potential for a switch, but it depends where his priorities lie. I imagine he's probably a lot more dedicated to the cause now than he initially was, and with more friends he's willing to fight for.

I liked Grimlock's take in the War Within series, when he tells Starscream why he sided with the Autobots. I don't think he's up for a real change in allegiance any time soon.

But Slag, possibly. Like 'Streaker with Sideswipe, I really think it's only his loyalty to Grimlock that keeps him on side, and I'm not even sure how far that stretches. Again, though, whether leaving the Autobots is the same thing as joining the Decepticons... after all he's not exactly known for his willingness to toe anyone's line.

19. Optimus Sledge

You know, thinking about it, Thundercracker and Sunstreaker have a lot in common. I don't think they're that bothered about the side they're on, but they wouldn't necessarily join the other side if they left their respective armies. I can see them both getting pissed off with the whole thing and leaving the war altogether.

20. Ops_was_a_truck

Ops_was_a_truck JOOOLIE ANDREWWWWWS!!!!!!

Ebay:
    I think it would have been neat to follow out the story of Octane and his wavering loyalties from Season three...it would have been cool to see him join the Autobot ranks permanently.