Swiss millionaire fined $290,000 for speeding

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by SpencimusPrime, Jan 7, 2010.

1. SpencimusPrime

SpencimusPrime _

News Credits:
    Speeding Swiss millionaire fined $290,000 - Vehicular weirdness- msnbc.com

2. smkspy

smkspy is one nice fucking kitty

Sounds fair to me.

3. Optimus Sledge

Optimus Sledge Yar har fiddle di dee

Nappa: "VEGETA! What does the scouter say about his fine?"

Vegeta: "IT'S OVER NINE THOUSAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAND!" *crushes scouter*

Nappa: WHAT, NINE THOUSAND!?

4. MetalRyde

MetalRyde is an a-hole with a heart.

Go on & write me up for 125
    Post my face, wanted dead or alive
    Take my license n' all that jive
    I can't drive
    55!

5. Lock Cade

Lock Cade Tarn Fangirl TFW2005 Supporter

:lolol 

6. prime13

prime13 UCHUU KITAAAA

News Credits:
    :thumbs2: 

7. grayman

grayman The Alpha and The Omega TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Speeding limits should be abolished. Speed doesn't kill, mistakes do. If you can drive fast well, then who is the government to tell you that you can't? Cars were made by people for people. Roads are made by people for people. Government was made by people for people, not the other way around. Driving is a right, not a privileage contrary to law. My 2 cents.

8. Omegatron

Omegatron Mandatory Fun. Buy it now TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Unfortunately, many people are bad judges of what constitutes 'driving well.' Hence, accidents. There's no reason for speed limits to be abolished. As you point out, our government is for the people, by the people. This means that the people (or at least their representatives) have decided that speed limits are a good idea. Should the will of the people change enough, those same representatives could abolish the speed limits. Since that hasn't happened, accept that you're in the minority of people who think speed limits should be abolished.
    OTOH, I don't think the guy should get a heftier fine because he can pay more. That sets a dangerous precedent. How long will it be before the poor no longer have to pay speeding fines simply because they're poor? I'm not familiar with Swiss law, but I hope the guy gets an appeal

9. Gigatron_2005

Gigatron_2005 President of Calendars

Is... is this ironic?

And it sounds good to me. Some asshole in a nice Mercedes almost hit me and two other cars (within only a few inches) about a week ago, so it was nice to see this article.

10. Ziero

Ziero TFW2005 Supporter

...um, assuming you're not being sarcastic

Driving is NOT a right in any way shape or form. It's a privilege in the purest sense of the word. You can live a perfectly happy, healthy, full life without ever owning or operating a car. You as an individual do not have any kind of unalienable right to be behind the wheel of a 2ton vehicle, it is a privilege that must be earned and a responsibility that must be treated with proper care.

Increasing speed exponentially increases the risk you face when in a moving vehicle, a crash at 30 mph and a crash at 50 mph will have very different results with the latter being far more dangerous for everyone involved. You also increase your chances of "mistakes" as you increase your speed, as the faster you go, the more momentum you gain and the less control you have. There's also the fact that many cars are most fuel efficient at a certain speed, from my understanding you get better mpg going 50 then you do going 30 or 80.

There are also many roads in Europe (and some in the US too iirc) that have abolished speed limits, but they've done so because these roads are usually empty and fairly linear with no real big turns, meaning increased speeds are less of a risk to other drivers since it's rare for multiple drivers to be close to each other while not having to worry about sudden stops and turns.

However, this person was not on one of these roads. He's also someone who is considered a repeat offender, so he does know better since he's been stopped for speeding before. He deserves this fine and if he does it again should have his licenses revoked indefinitely.

11. Eric

Eric RIP AND TEAR!!!

News Credits:
    :lol  Justice is served.

12. bradforj

bradforj Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Government - the institution through which the will of the people is turned into public policy

The will of the people is to not get killed by some jackass that thinks he can drive through residential streets at 90mph. Speed limits are vitally important, contrary to what you think. Laws against speeding are as important as laws against murder. If both of those offenses were legal, a lot more people would be doing it! And a lot more people would die as a result.

Although many people think they should be able to do whatever the hell the want without government interference, the rest of us are happy to see the government interfere with you :)  I am happy every time I see blue lights on my street. It means the neighborhood is being kept safe for me and my family.

13. grimlock1972

grimlock1972 "No Mas" My Wallet

News Credits:
    Actually in Europe this isn't that unusual as in some countries there they base the fine for speeding on your income and net worth but still ouch

14. Coeloptera

Coeloptera Big, bad beetle-bot

It does not help that many speed limits are set arbitrarily low for the sole purpose of revenue generation and that maximum safe speeds calculated by engineers are often ignored. In addition, the duration of yellow lights is often also set to a literally unsafe span for the same reason.

If speed limits were set purely to maximize safety and corresponded to actual safe speeds, then it might be less of a contentious issue.

In fact, I live close to and utilize an excellent example a great deal. It is a road I drive on 7 times a week (5 days to work, 2 days back from work). For the first 3 miles heading North from a t-intersection, the speed limit is 35mph. On either side of this perfectly straight stretch of road are undeveloped desert land and a municipal water building surrounded by a brick wall with locked gates. There is also the outer wall of a housing development with no exits that are not at lights or stop signs. After that 3 mile stretch, the speed limit changes to 45 mph while the number of business complexes with entrances not at lights actually increases. Police motorcycles and unmarked police cars thickly prowl the 35 mph area only. Keeping in mind I have used this road for 7 trips a week for approximately a year, I have yet to see an accident on it. There is no construction in the 35 mph area. It is just a stretch of straight road with little cross traffic. It seems the speed limit there is set so low purely to generate revenue. The large number of officers that patrol it seems to back that assumption up.

Just an observation.

Autobahn, transform and roll out really quickly!

- Coeloptera

15. AutobotSkids

AutobotSkids G1/Bay Lover

:lolol