Swing and a miss...

Discussion in 'The Toyark' started by slugslinger2004, Aug 11, 2011.

1. slugslinger2004

slugslinger2004 TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Given that this is TFW2005, most of us are probably primarily Transformers collectors. I was wondering what lines have you ventured outside of TFs to collect, only to realize you don't like the toys?

I started buying up the 1999 Microman line when BBTS got a restock earlier this year. I bought a couple of the Micromen, Demon Acroyer, Robotmen and Giant Acroyer.

When I got them, I was really disappointed in the most of them. The small Micromen's articulation is not great, and the brick arm doesn't add much play value for me. The Demon Acroyer would be great if they had ankle joints and while Robotman Baron and Cross are ok, Endeavor and the Giant Acroyer are floppy messes.

The other lines I've tried I like for the most part. I LOVE Takara's Brave Series, and the few Revoltechs and candy Mugenbine toys I have. Even the couple of Microman toys I have from later years (Theseus and Icarus) are better than the 1999 line.

Well, anybody else go through something similar?

2. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Dry built

News Credits:
    Any of that gimmicky flavour-of-the-week stuff like Beyblades or the marble-shooting robots. Always look like neat concepts but are pretty terrible and lose my interest super fast

Though likewise when I try a line I usually get into it hardcore. Halo, Power Rangers, Revoltech, all the LEGO, I all quite enjoy. I fucking ADORE Braves. Especially the King of Braves. I have the big man himself, Goldy, Mic and all the Symmetrical brothers.

3. Brainchild

Brainchild Dark Flame Master

I find that I hate most mecha anime, and the respective toylines. Only Gurren Lagann and Neon Genesis Evangelion are immune to this.

4. Hiraga

Hiraga BILL BILL BILL BILL BILL

News Credits:
    The Halo toys from Macfarlane. I can't really explain why, they just don't work for me as well as other toylines do. And yet I have the entire Reach team and a Warthog. :/

5. Atomsplitter

Atomsplitter Needs a new title.

AMDriver. I was pretty pumped to buy some of the toys, although I couldn't get the 2 I most wanted, but I did snag my 3rd. But once they finally arrived, Iwas pretty dissapointed. They're still awesome looking toys, but once I had them in hand they just weren't as impressive.

6. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Dry built

News Credits:
    Oh right, Gundams. I used to collect them but, I dunno, the Gundam asthetic is just so... boring. There's nothing unique about it.

7. Matrix Soul

Matrix Soul Skull 4 reporting in!

News Credits:
    Dinozaurs, Gigano Dragon was pretty cool, so I sought out a few other pieces, and they all more or less disappointed me, so yeah, swing and a miss :( 

8. rob_charb

rob_charb Well-Known Member

G-Gundam would like a word with you.

I've tried a few lines, but nothing's really caught my interest, aside from DCUC. MU is okay, but I only have a few. ML never interested me at all. The only Revoltech figure I have pretty much put me off the line (the only exception to not buying I'd make is for Jehuty if I ever come across one).

Alas, even my interest in Transformers is pretty much dead now. Animated was the last line that really fired up my interest.

9. Dremare

Dremare Had an Epiphany

.... I usually go for the robot and tokusatsu series, like SHFiguarts, Robot Damashii, and Figma.

10. theestampede

theestampede Wandering Artist

News Credits:
    Just today I picked up the dcu Batman arkham city two pack and that definitely fits the bill. I've never owned any dcu figures before, but if this is what they are like I'm not touching the line ever again.

Two face is utter crap and while the Batman is alright, ie I really like the sculpt, the articulation is almost unusable. He can't even lower his arms to his side or bend his elbows 90 degrees. I litterally can't find a good pose for him at all. I'm thinking I might sell both of them, as they just don't do it for me. seriously this is 2011, toybiz was making fantasticly articulated marvel figures 10 years ago and even bandai of america is currently making really well done 6 inch figures. Why cant Mattel make a decently articulated batman?

11. Orion_Prime48

Orion_Prime48 Super Sentai Purist

News Credits:
    the Mcfarlane Halo series, I got a few of em and ive never gone back. they were so dissapointing, 1 of them broke right out of the box and the others guns are all glued together because they broke too

granted there are a few I still want but because of the first ones I have being such shit im extremely cautious even though ive had numerous opportunities to get a few for dirt cheap

12. Ravenxl7

Ravenxl7 W.A.F.F.L.E.O.

News Credits:
    I've tried getting into Marvel Universe and the Halo Reach figures, but after a handful of figures in each I've lost interest. Transformers has been the only toy collectibles I've stuck with for any serious amount of time, and the only other line I see myself getting this serious with is Thundercats. Though I'm considering getting into the Marvel Legends line now that they'll be normal retail releases along side of the Universe line. I'll at least get Thor from the line.

13. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Dry built

News Credits:
    The more recent figures (specifically Halo Reach) don't have those quality issues that plagued early Halo 3 ones. They use a different construction in the joints that prevents that kind of breaking.

14. AutoBobby

AutoBobby The Collector

I got a bunch of the Dark Knight Movie Masters figures a couple years ago,only to have all of them develop some kind of discoloration to the plastic.They all look like ass now and are basically worthless.So I pretty much stay away from anything made by Mattel now.

15. seeker311

seeker311 The Collector

News Credits:
    The NECA Gears of War toys. I bought the 4 original members plus 2 Locusts and they are nothing but well painted bricks collecting dust right now

16. Radioactive Ravage

Radioactive Ravage Ancient

Minimates. I don't know why ,but these guys just don't do it for me. Unless it's Deadpool, which I have to have.

17. Gort

Gort Klaatu barada nikto TFW2005 Supporter

Marvel Universe - they feel cheap and the articulation often leaves them flimsy and difficult to stand. This is especially true if you compare them to GI Joe and Star Wars figures of the same size. Every time I've purchased a MU figure, I've been disappointed. Recently I purchased Cable and Cyclops (after not buying any for a long time) and both of them are HUGE disappointments. Cable's limbs are warped and Cyclops is very loose. I've resolved to never buy another (but I'll probably break down and get something before too long).

18. Stryker055

Stryker055 Josh Boyfriend

Star Wars figures. I'll see them, think "Hey, these are cheaper than Transformers and look cool. I'll buy a few!", then I after a while I realize I have a ton of these guys, most of them just clone trooper variations and have very limited articulation. They're neat to display and generally look fantastic, but most of them are just a pain to pose and stand (thank God for the TCW stands).

19. Rewind

Rewind Be Kind TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Gundam is the prime example for me. Back in 2001 or so when the MSIA figures and kits were everywhere in the US I really got into Gundam. I think it must have just been robot fever because after a year or so of amassing a huge collection and importing a few higher-end Gundams I took a look at them all, thought "these all look the same to me" and dumped them in a box where they still sit to this day.

Every once in a while I'll still buy a random Gundam, but I usually end up getting rid of it fairly quickly. The only Gundam I currently own is the massive 1/48 scale RX-78 because it's such a nice display piece.

20. uruseiranma

uruseiranma Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I picked up the first of their Ledger-sculpts (of him in the purple coat), and that was as far as I got. I almost started collecting the line, but the sculpts just never excited me (I've been spoiled by the sculpting processes of the olden days of McFarlane Toys, and the current NECA toys).