Sweeney Todd

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Liege Prime, Dec 22, 2007.

1. Liege Prime

Liege Prime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    So I just saw Tim Burton's Sweeney Todd. First, I want to say that they have a short video before it starts basically acknowledging that Johny Depp and Tim Burton work together a lot and are like family, so I was glad they acknowledged that.

The movie itself was great, IMO. Maybe a 9/10. Great atmoshere, great take on an old story, a lot of catchy music, great cast, and overall very entertaining. I don't really have one particular complaint or anything, except that if you of course don't like musicals, you may not like this, however I am not generally a fan of musicals but this was made entertaining throughout. Recommended.

2. WTF2005

WTF2005 Chaos Commander

Well I'm not a "musicals" person but I want to give this one a shot.

No kiddin'! What is this, number 6 now?

3. Chaos Muffin

Chaos Muffin Misadventure Veteran

I hate musicals , but need too see it becasue everyone says it's great.

4. DevilzFan

DevilzFan CobraIsland.com Veteran

It was pretty good. Just got home from seeing it.

Though I fell asleep right after spoiler: Borat was killed

And woke up with about 20 minutes to go. Not that it was bad, I was just exhausted and the singing kinda helped put me to sleep.

5. Deceptikitty

Deceptikitty all about the hasubandos

I loved the musical, and the movie didn't disappoint. I had pretty low expectations, but I was pleasantly surprised!

6. Team Jetfire

Team Jetfire Pop-POP!

News Credits:
    I can't wait to see this. Looks amazing.

7. Cyberwolf1980

Cyberwolf1980 Deceptus Templar C-Dub TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I thought it was utter garbage. While I hate bothn Burton and Depp, I put aside my bias to see it. I hate musicals as it is and honsetly, Burtons filming style never seems to evolve. Same dark atmosphere with a different story tacked on. The premise of vengence was promising, but, the minute he started spoiler:killing people left and right I had made up my mind. I want my $7.50 back.

8. Hotspot17

Hotspot17 Search and Rescue: Vet

News Credits:
    Want to see and am a big Tim Burton fan. But not sure about the singing. Will give it a go.

9. Deceptikitty

Deceptikitty all about the hasubandos

The singing may be weird for some people, because it's Sondheim and not like happy Grease music. Almost an operetta. It had Kill Bill styled violence, with the exaggerated blood and stuff. If you like Depp/Burton or just a nice depressing Christmas movie, you should check it out.

I may go see it again.

10. Liege Prime

Liege Prime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Well, despite trying to put biases aside, this really doesn't sound like a movie for you in any way. The original story was about a murderous barber, so the killing was pretty much inevitable. This was a case of Burton's style being used for something that it fit with. But, if you disslike all elements involved, I don't know why you spent the money anyways.

11. Cyberwolf1980

Cyberwolf1980 Deceptus Templar C-Dub TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Too get out of the house. Better than staying cooped indoors and that's where my friends were going. I decided what the hell. Actually the murderous side was the most intriguing. It was the musical nature and look that turned me off most. Certainly not a Dexter to me.

Please note this is my personal opinion of the movie and I'm not bashing any who enjoyed it. I just didn't. If you'd prefer a more fair state, if you're not a Depp/Burton/musical fan, probably not for you.

12. ChldsPlay

ChldsPlay Well-Known Member

This will be a rental simply because outside of South Park I hate musicals, I don't like Burton, and outside of Pirates I don't really care for Depp either.

I'll probably enjoy the version in Jersey Girl more.