Swamp Thing

Discussion in 'Comic Books and Graphic Novels' started by matrixprime, Mar 27, 2012.

1. matrixprime

matrixprime AJ's Toy Chest Owner

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    So I just started reading the new swamp thing and Im a little confused by it all. I know this is a jumping on point but I just seem to be lost. Should I go back further?

2. DarthCrusher

DarthCrusher Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I'm in pretty much the same boat as you, except I read Brightest Day (in which Swamp Thing only shows up at the end) and Brightest Day Aftermath: The Search For Swamp Thing (which wasn't very good, but sheds a little light on Alec Holland's predicament- it's three issues long and probably both easy to find and cheap, if you're interested).

If you want everything to make absolutely perfect sense, I think Alan Moore's legendary run on Swamp Thing (which I've not read, but have heard is really good) might be a good place to start, as I'm told Snyder's been drawing heavily from it in his run. I think DC's even been releasing hardcover collections of it recently.

3. Aernaroth

Aernaroth <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and Veteran

News Credits:
    What sounds dirtier? Swamp Thing, or Giant Sized Man-Thing?

Yeah, DC's been collecting the Saga Of The Swamp Thing (Alan Moore's run) in graphic novel form for a while, if you're into things from swamps probably worth checking out.

4. Nightwind

Nightwind Aka Dusty Bottoms.

The Saga of the Swamp Thing series is absolutely amazing and worth checking out. He is by far my favorite comic character and no story line that I've read since has come close to touching on the glory that is the Moore run. I purchased the entire six book hardcover collection from Amazon for pretty decent prices. I think they were typically around $14-$16 a book.

I have to say, though, that I am really liking this new series! I think the story is moving along pretty nicely. Some things have shocked me such as
    the burning of the Parliament of Trees
    and other things like
    Alec choosing to take the form of Swamp Thing voluntarily
    were pretty predictable. I'm really digging the art as well. The last frame of #7 actually floored me and has inspired me to try another Swamp Thing custom for my shelf!

5. Acid Wing

Acid Wing Senior Alien TF Member

News Credits:
    Kinda got interested after Brightest Day, but I've been digging Snyder's Swamp Thing run, even though I haven't read any of Moore's take on the character (but I'll certainly check it out if it's in trade form now).

It's also cool that the series is connecting with Lemire's Animal Man (who in the past I had zero interest in).

6. Human Beastbox

Human Beastbox The Murdinator

News Credits:
    I just read all the hardcovers for the first time after unjustly ignoring them for decades. Easily one of the best comic book creative runs I've ever read in my 30+ years of comic reading!

I remember beforehand thinking, "It can't be THAT good can it?" Boy, was I ever wrong...

7. Nightwind

Nightwind Aka Dusty Bottoms.

I truly feel that anyone who hasn't read at least the first book in that series is doing themselves a great injustice. Some of the revalations in that book just knocked me out!