SW Crossovers Yoda/Republic Attack Shuttle

Discussion in 'Transformers Feedback & Reviews' started by TimToyGeek, Jul 4, 2010.

1. TimToyGeek

TimToyGeek Well-Known Member

I don't know, maybe I'm a bit soft on the Star Wars crossover line. But I like some of them a lot - I think the recent Y Wing/Clone Pilot is a very good Transformer, for example. Sure, the line has had a good proportion of junk in it, but I still like to see what comes out. Expecially when it's ridiculous and 50% off like the new Yoda transformer.

DSCN0681 on Flickr - Photo Sharing!

When everyone first saw the Yoda SW Crossover, the general opinion was that it looked very strange, what with its enormous Yoda head, short limbs and odd color scheme. I guess my expectations were low going in, but I think that Yoda is actually a pretty good toy. In robot mode, he's got decent articulation - shoulders, elbows bend and swivel, wrists rotate, the short legs can be posed reasonably well and the feet are hinged, swivel and have moving toes as part of the transformation. The wing assemblies can be rotated up to frame the head as sort of battle flags, or rotated down to form a sort of robe. Both wings fold neatly and are on rotating and hinged arms.

DSCN0683 on Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Wings are down in this pose. The head rotates, and the waist rotates as well, though it tends to throw the lower body out of alignment. He comes with a shorter version of a green lightsaber which fits in his hand well. The effect is pretty strange looking, like Yoda wearing robot armor, or a mash up between a clone trooper and a giant Yoda head, but it kind of works - you don't get too many short and giant-headed Transformers (and when they do, like Injector, they usually are done badly), but I think the proportions are pretty good on this one.

DSCN0685 on Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Transformation to Republic Attack Shuttle - sort of a precursor to the Imperial Shuttle - is involved and complex. The back opens up and the head folds down into the main body, with the ears sticking out of the sides. The arms collapse and fold into the sides of the craft, the chest and back panels form the 'head' of the ship, the waist and feet rotate and fold into a nice engine array. Very little green shows in the ship mode, the feet show in the back and the hands show on the bottom, but they aren't too obtrusive.

The wing assemblies may come mistranformed in the package - they do peg in fairly solidly onto the bottom of the ship, and the whole ship is pretty solid when you're done. The wings can pivot and fold for landing. You may note that there is no front landing gear, though, so the ship flops onto its nose when you try to rest it on the ground. There is a fix for that, though. If you mistranform the 'chin' of the ship's 'head' it can fold down and rest on the ground, and it looks not only like landing gear, but also like a boarding ramp. The rest of the head stays together well enough in this mode, too.

DSCN0686 on Flickr - Photo Sharing!

The ship mode has shoulder guns (literally, they wind up on Yoda's shoulders in robot mode) and rotating guns on the side of the ship's 'head' - these have less range of motion than I thought, just about 90 degrees back and forth, no rotating at all. So they can shoot at an angle forwards and to the sides. They don't do much in robot mode either. I may see if I can remove the tracks from the gun assemblies so they have a more free range of motion.

But what of the light saber in ship mode? I thought perhaps there would be a hollow track or slot to get the light saber stored in the ship, like the Emperor/Shuttle crossover, but it does not appear so. I did notice that there are little clips on each wing that do store the light saber on the wing, though it's not indicated in the instructions, they are too well engineered to be just a coincidence.

DSCN0688 on Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Not perfect, but not bad. I only wish I could dig out another green lightsaber for him to balance this one out. Because it's so short, though, most of the other sabers from the TF line would look strange. Er, stranger.

So, if you're like me and still interested in the SW Crossovers, I think the Yoda is a worthwhile toy, if only for the novelty factor. It's better than I thought it would be, and has some nice features, both obvious and hidden.

Tim
    "Toy Geek"

2. xanthax

xanthax choppaface

News Credits:
    He looks really angry. I saw a picture of this in Toyfare and he looks different than these pics. Kind of sad, I was looking forward to picking him up.

3. Nez Pierce

Nez Pierce @evildanish

News Credits:
    Good for Yoda fans...I picked this up on a whim since I like the little bastard. Maybe I'm spoiled by the main TF lines, but it feels like a knockoff. I'm sure the design philosophy prioritizes the vehicle mode because that's actually pretty neat, but the plastic feels flimsy and the joints just blow, by and large.
    That having been said...it's a fricking transforming Yoda!! I'll take the bad with the good this time, but SW crossovers just might not be my cup of joe.

4. Sam Witwicky

Sam Witwicky Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I wish I could find him. Still no luck.

5. Batman

Batman The Dark Knight TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I NEED this figure.

6. Jeremy.B

Jeremy.B Formerly Leader Blackout TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    he has nipples.

7. Rewind

Rewind Be Kind TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I lusted over this thing for months and now, after getting one, I have to say it’s a pretty crappy toy. As mentioned above, it feels cheap. Now maybe I’m not being fair because the last TF I bought and handled was HA Jazz, but this thing has a knock-off feel in comparison. One of the problems is that it seems “over-engineered” yet still half-baked. The best example I can give is the top-rear ridge of the shuttle which splits apart and folds on 4 hinges. Fine, but what does it do? Nothing. The only reason the hinges are there is so it can fold up under Yoda’s belly and not hang straight down like a dong. In bot mode it pegs to nothing, it tucks into nothing, it sits flush with nothing and it just sort of sticks out like a big sign saying, “Oh crap, what do we do with this part?”. One more hinge and it could have folded down and over the front of his groin area. Oh well.

Beyond that, Yoda has the worst kind of articulation: the kind that is plentiful but ultimately useless. Each leg has SEVEN points of articulation, but look silly in almost any configuration. Even just standing straight they look too far apart. His shoulder joints are alright, but suffer from being too close to his torso. The arms extend a bit to allow the elbow to bend slightly and the wrists and biceps swivel. The head could have easily been on a ball/socket joint, which would have gone a long way to add life to the minimal poses, but it’s just a cut joint.

All in all, even though it’s not a very well made toy, I’m glad I have it because it looks so wonderfully ridiculous. It’s a transforming Yodabot, something I never expected to see and something that mixes my love for Yoda and robots. He’s good for a laugh, but he’s also the last SW/TF I’ll be buying unless they ever make a Naboo Starfighter.

8. Batman

Batman The Dark Knight TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I found Yoda yesterday at TRU while searching for an MP Grimlock. Since they had no Grmilock figures, I decided to pick Yoda up so I did not leave empty handed. He is pretty much everything you would expect from a SWTF.

Pros

-Nice vehicle mode, lots of details.
    -Awesome angry Yoda headsculpt.
    -Pretty solid in both modes.
    -Tight joints
    -Transformation is relatively fun. Love the slow Yoda head reveal.

Cons

-Yoda Kibble in vehicle mode
    -Limited articulation
    -A couple of parts are painted in white rather than being molded in white plastic which seems weird since like 80% of the figure is molded in white plastic.
    -Sloppy paint, bleeds outside of the lines. The wings on mine look dirty, but it appears to be paint slop that was wiped off in the factory.
    -No place to store lightsaber in vehicle mode.
    -Instructions are pretty lame.
    -Cost. In Canada a SWTF deluxe is $19.99 while a typical mainline deluxe is $15.99. Yoda is not quite up to par with a mainline deluxe, but costs more.

Overall, I like Yoda, but mainly because like many people, he is my favorite Star Wars character. My main reason for picking up this figure was for the novelty of having a Yoda Transformer and I am sure it will be the same for many others. I must say though that I was expecting this figure to be total garbage, but I was pleasantly surprised that he turned out to be decent.

Front vehicle

[​IMG]

Back Vehicle

[​IMG]

Bottom vehicle

[​IMG]

Robot Front

[​IMG]

Robot back

[​IMG]

Robot side

[​IMG]

Comparison

[​IMG]

Yoda and his ride

[​IMG]

9. megatroptimus

megatroptimus Translatorminator

News Credits:
    Yoda is one of my favorite SWTF releases. Probably the best one released since Snowspeeder Luke Skywalker or Starfighter General Grievous.

10. Mr. Sparklebot

Mr. Sparklebot 'Til All Are Juan

News Credits:
    I just picked this guy up on a whim, my first (and possibly only) SW Crossover. I have to say, his quality is much lower than mainline TFs and being more expensive than them, it just feels a bit over-priced. His articulation isn't the best (the legs bother me the most particularly), and some of his kibble is distracting.

However, he is a quirky little figure that, like others have said, is worth it for the fact that it's a freaking TF-ing Yoda. It's definitely a buy if you're looking for a novelty rather than a quality figure. I think he's awesome for what he is.

11. zephon

zephon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    He is indeed one heck of a novelty figure! I prefer Yoda's green parts to be colored silver to give him more of a mecha feel. As it is, it looks like Yoda stole the armor of some clone trooper (ala Luke and Han in stormtrooper attire)
    [​IMG]

I also prefer to have the wings down when in non-craft mode.
    [​IMG]

Wish there was some place to stow away the lightsaber in shuttle mode. I also wish that the guns up front were on ball joints instead of just swivel joints.
    [​IMG]

12. megatroptimus

megatroptimus Translatorminator

News Credits:
    The saber clips on top of the wing near the body of the shuttle, you can see the little nubs in your picture.

13. Rewind

Rewind Be Kind TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Yep, that's where I keep it:

Attached Files:

14. zephon

zephon Well-Known Member

News Credits:

Thanks for the tip! At least I don't have to reach for the weapon in a tacklebox instead.

Quite a pitty that the lightsabers in the "binaltech arming" set are a little too thin for the nubs....

Hope you guys don't mind a random pic. Here's Yoda with a binaltech arming lightsaber. I also used this pic to show his height comparisson to a scout class toy.
    [​IMG]

15. RedAlert Rescue

RedAlert Rescue Banned

News Credits:
    Looks like a giggle for some reason the one I play with the most is the Kitt Fisto/Delta Star Fighter mold.

16. thenatureboywoo

thenatureboywoo Veteran

News Credits:
    Yoda is cool to have, just because it's Yoda. There is nothing spectacular about this particular figure. When you pull him out and transform him, he's a little bit of a let down compared to the package picture. But as far as a SW Crossover goes, he's about on par or maybe a little better than the other SW Crossover's that my son has. His transformation is also a little more complex than I am used to with the other crossovers.

[​IMG]
    Crossovers Yoda by thenatureboywoo, on Flickr

17. Cheebs

Cheebs Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube:
    On the peg today saw Yoda I did. Fearful was I, for Star Wars crossovers lead to disappointment. Disappointment leads to regret. Regret leads to anger.

Generic ships into clone pilots transform. Classic ships into mockeries of humanoid form transform. Beloved characters into laughable robotic avatars turn. Generic ship this toy may be. But Yoda this toy is. Counts for something that does, yes? On the peg before him I have never seen. On the peg him I may never see again. Buy it, I had to.

Happy I am.

Innovative is the mechanism for this transformation. Completely changes does the shape. Squat and lovable from this result is the Yoda. Hampered the articulation may be, but hampered was Yoda. Muppet he was, Hmmm? Articulation you will not have when a small wire rod your arm moves!

Fear not this toy. Let go of your doubt. Star Wars Transformers the path to the dark side may be, but exception this toy is!

18. KA

KA PENIS GOES WHERE?!!

News Credits:
    :lol 

articulation? hmph! better paint apps?!! hah!

a star wars fan seek not these things. only to fill in lucas' pocket book will you.

you will. YOU WILL.