Survivorman, Man vs. Wild

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by thoughtcrime, May 23, 2007.

1. thoughtcrime

thoughtcrime Well-Known Member

....or as I like to call them, Survivorman vs. Wild. Hehe. Honestly, they're the same exact show. Only difference is that one guy travels alone (hardcore), one travels with a camera crew. Both guys strand themselves on purpose and film various survival techniques. Now I'm no outdoorsman, but I greatly enjoy both shows. Both are in reruns now on Discovery and the Science Channel, with new seasons of each supposedly in the works as we speak. Anyone else checking these out?

2. MegaPrime33

MegaPrime33 Follow me @NerdActivist TFW2005 Supporter

Love Man vs. Wild, can't stand Survivorman. Survivorman is tough to watch, what with the camera swinging around all of the time and the guy, to me, is really boring. Bear kicks all kinds of ass and the show is much more entertaining.

3. defstar

defstar Autobot...

Agreed...I fall asleep trying to watch Survivorman...Bear on the other hand keeps things moving in a very entertaining manner...

4. BMGFX

BMGFX Awesome Spooner Veteran

I like Survivorman more. Never got into Man Vs. Wild for some reason.

5. netkid

netkid Where's my Goddamn shoe!

News Credits:
    The only reason Bear's show looks better is because he has an entire camera crew traveling along with him.

Les has only himself and his camera. He has to do all the shots himself. Not to mention carry all the camera gear.

And let us not forget that in order for him to get those far away scenery shots of him off in the distance, he has to first leave the camera behind, then go all the way back to retrieve it, and finally carry the camera and it's gear back all the way to where he was at off in the distance.

Les gets my vote. Plus, unlike Bear, Les shows us how to find food sources that won't likely kill us or put us in the hospital with a nasty parasite.

Bear drinks the water from elephant turds or bites the heads off snakes and then tells you how it can kill you. He's like the Steve Irwin of Survival. Heck, one episode he ate something and got diarrhea and vomitted alot.

Though I have to say, i do enjoy both shows very much.

6. thoughtcrime

Agreed on almost all counts. Les is more boring but more hardcore IMO, his show is more serious in tone while Bear is much more the showman, doing incredibly stupid things to show off and add flash to the show. Plus as stated he can take more risks because he has a fully equipped camera crew with him. Les on the other hand does it all by himself and you can see his mood diminish from loneliness as the episode progresses

7. The_Bardock

The_Bardock ****** of the Minicons

didn't we have a thread about this a little bit ago? Anyways i've never seen man vs wild but I used to watch survivorman all the time. So I think its easy to see who my favourite is.

8. netkid

netkid Where's my Goddamn shoe!

News Credits:
    Yep.

http://www.tfw2005.com/boards/showthread.php?t=130096

We could always kindly ask a Mod for a meging of the two.

9. thoughtcrime

10. jet convoy

jet convoy Beast Wars Forever!!!

I don't watch Man vs. Wild that much but I don't know why it doesn't appeal to me. Survivorman on the other hand is a very kickass show and Les is waaay better than Bear.

11. Greyryder

Greyryder Kitbashed

Survivorman will teach you how to survive, should you find yourself stranded some where. Man Vs. Wild will show you how to get yourself killed, before the elements can do you in.

Didn't we have one of these threads, before?

12. Jux

Jux Please, call me Steve. Veteran

Amazingly, reading THIS VERY THREAD will direct you to your answer.

13. Greyryder

Greyryder Kitbashed

"umm.... I got distracted, that link was posted between my typing my reply and hitting post. Yeah, that's it. :confused2 

14. Doctor Ingenious

Doctor Ingenious Doctorate in Ingeniology

Once again, both great shows.

15. Emperor Mengde

Emperor Mengde Instrumentalist

QFT. Bear, while entertaining, does some really stupid things that would be far too dangerous in the wild. For example, rather than going around a waterfall he decides to climb down it. Wow, great idea, climb down a waterfall in a weakened state. Entertaining to watch, sure, but not a good idea.

16. GigatronSama

GigatronSama Mr. Insomnia Veteran

I watch survivorman. Hardcore stuff, educational too. I can empathize with him as he weakens both physically and mentally as his latest stranding progresses. It takes one Hell of a man to willingly put himself through that.

The only one that seemed just slightly off was the deep south swamp one. Being from the deep south (and I've actually been to places like that) I can tell you there was probably a wal-mart just past the treeline.

17. Kickback

Kickback Proud father Administrator Super Mod News Staff

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Tumblr:
    Discovery can die.