Surviving Disaster

Discussion in 'Movies and Television' started by Tyrannosaur, Oct 9, 2009.

1. Tyrannosaur

Tyrannosaur Well-Known Member

This show is awesome. I cannot wait for the Nuclear Bomb one! :D 

I've found this show to become quite useful. Especially since in my town home invasions have gone up, and it's a very scary confrontation. Thanks to this show I'll be ready.

2. smkspy

smkspy Remember true fans

Silly show is well...silly. I'm willing to bet that if that guy were ever in a real disaster he wouldn't survive.

3. Tyrannosaur

Yeah, because everyone knows TRAINED NAVY SEALS cannot fight what-so-ever.

4. smkspy

Your ability to fight doesn't mean shit when it comes to surviving a nuclear explosion or earthquake or tsunami.:rolleyes:  It may help some, but being trained to be a tough guy doesn't erase the human ability to completely forget that training in a real disaster. It's easy to speculate about surviving these disasters when you don't actually have to experience them.

5. DaggersRage

DaggersRage Autistic bastard.

Hey, that "some" might be the difference between life or death. Just say'in.

6. smkspy

I didn't say it wouldn't, but call me when he actually shows how to survive all the hypothetical situations without those cue mock-ups. At least with Survivorman or Man vs. Wild, they're actually out in the actual conditions they're describing.

7. Tyrannosaur

It's a simulation of what is supposed to happen, you think SpikeTV has the money to detonate an atomic bomb in the middle of a populated city? It's all based on data collected from previous events.

They're all simulations designed to show you what to do and what not to do. And I find these tips very useful indeed. In my area, Home Invasions are on the rise and someone is a victim every day. Hell, a mother was BUTCHERED to death in her own house up in New Hampshire by a couple of sick fucking teenagers. They also slashed the throat of her 11 year old daughter who fortunatley survived. She managed to call the police and they came and arrested those two little assholes.

Good. I hope they lock them up in jail and fucking starve them to death.

8. smkspy

You hit the nail on the head, kid. A simulation of what is SUPPOSED to happen. But the reality of those situations is that what is supposed to happened usually doesn't.

And yes, I honestly expect to Spiketv to detonate an atomic bomb:rolleyes: 

Case in point, if this ever happens to you, you're gonna be all "So I saw this guy on tv tell me how to survive this exact situation," and you'll get yourself killed for it.

Two points on this. First, cool story, bro. Secondly, I think practical manners like this can offer up some decent advice that is useful, but only to a certain point. If you're too fixated on what a tv show told you to do, you'll still get yourself killed.

9. Tyrannosaur

Cool story bro? You heartless monster. See for yourself: Deadly home invasion rattles New Hampshire town - CNN.com
    How about you have some damn respect for the innocent, instead of just sounding off with a stupid internet meme?

The show is meant to show you the possible outcomes of each situation because of all the data collected from these events, these are the ones that are most likely to happen. So if it does happen, if gives you the most logical thing to do in that situation. If you hear a window break in your kitchen, are you gonna just sit on your ass and ignore it? No, you're gonna get up and check it out. But always treat it seriously, it could be someone. Exactly why I have a metal bat laying near my bed. After seeing all this shit that goes on in the news I don't feel safe anymore. It's happening at random, someone shot here another person stabbed here, it could happen to me, you or anyone else. It's good to be a bit paranoid, it can save your life.

And it's a trained NAVY SEAL who knows what to do. All navy seals are trained for these scenarios. It's not just them either, anyone who is involved with the military needs this kind of training.

10. smkspy

Heartless monster? :lol  Oh the joys of teenager angst, I love it.

And it's good not take everything you see on tv as gossip. It could save your life.

And your point is? I think at this point you should talk to Bryan. He might have a suggestion for you.

11. Hiraga

Hiraga BILL BILL BILL BILL BILL

News Credits:
    Godziboy, how come every post I see from you comes off as just fucking whiney?

As for the Surviving Disaster, I never take shows like it seriously. But they are fun to watch.

12. Tyrannosaur

Oh please that was douchey what SMKspy posted. You don't fucking joke around when someone gets killed, especially an innocent woman who her child had to watch die horribly. You don't post "Cool story bro" it's just a douchey disrespectful thing to do.

[​IMG]

Stay out of my threads before I blow my top and get an infraction. You have to post shit that gets me fired up all the damn time. What you said I found disrespectful, very fucking disrespectful. You are heartless. Stay out of my threads if you don't wanna discuss the topic.

It was a fucking mother and her daughter who died man, you don't say shit like that. You don't have any sympathy for that little girl and what she went through?

Every post? You exaggerate. I don't. People just say stuff that ticks me off or they just disagree with me in a completely unneccessary manner. Plus some of my ideas and opinions are made fun of and critisized, which after my 6 months or so being on this site I find it to be a common trend. And everytime someone does it everyone decides to jump on the bandwaggon and makes fun of me too.

I fucking feel like the damn punching bag of this board. Ya'know what, fuck it. Take a swing at me I don't care anymore. Exactly why I took a small break for a few weeks.

13. Chrono Grimlock

Chrono Grimlock Buttstuff Werewolf

News Credits:
    Holy shit dude, relax. He doesn't have to stay out of any threads. He's here to discuss. Discuss doesn't mean agree. He need to take it down a couple notches.

14. smkspy

You obviously didn't get the point that me posting 'cool story, bro' had less to do with the actual story, and more at you with your sometimes amusing anecdotal reasoning that goes along with everything you say. It was a silly joke that you obviously took WAY too seriously (I mean, seriously, we throw around 'cool story, bro' all the time on the board), but I should have known that you of all people would blow up over nothing because you can't a joke. My bad, and my sincere apologies. Nevertheless, You just got pissy because you asked a question, I replied with an answer not to your liking, and your only rebuttals haven't really made much sense.

Back on topic: I find the show quite assuming if not a bit silly. I highly enjoyed the commercial where the hosts say that if you pinned down by gunfire in the mall, walk with a garbage can or something to that effect at your side.

D

15. Tyrannosaur

:lol  You haven't realized that by now?

I'm sorry dude. I've had friends in the past whose parents were murdered, and they were good friends of mine. I hate to see shit like this happen, it's disgusting.

16. smkspy

Honestly, I get you and Aussiehippy confused sometimes. Your avatars are so similiar and I hardly pay attention to user names anymore.

But I stand by my teenage angst statement, dude. We all have life experiences, some good and some bad. When we're teenagers it's easy to blow comments relating to them out of proportion, but you really just got to learn to let those silly comments go as they'll only make you miserable if continue to let them control your behavior as they do. Half the time, those comments probably don't mean what you think they mean. Example: I've had a couple of friends committ suicide over the years, but I don't get mad at people when they make joke about failed suicide attempts. It isn't slights about my friends or the seriousness of suicide, but people doing what people do best. Enjoy life for its good and bad qualities.

17. Tyrannosaur

Yeah, thats true. Sorry dude.

18. jorod74

jorod74 Psycholagnist (Ret.)

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I respect the show to a degree. Unfortunately, in a Nuke situation, you have to be Lottery winning LUCKY to survive long enough to use his advice. Some events are well, up to Fate.

But the other situations are plausible. The hijacking scenario works. Flight 93 is all i am saying about it. they didn't survive, but they defeated the plan.

Information is a double edged sword. You either learn enough to empower yourself when needed or you learn just enough to get yourself killed.

I used to teach kids the ABC's and how to do a rapid assessment in case a sibling or parent got hurt or something.
    but being kids, i told them to look and call for help.

that kind of information is useful- the kids feel good being given responsibility and the ability to take care of someone. it is beneficial.
    but if i were to teach them something complicated, there's the risk of the kid not reacting because they doubt their ability to do it.

one last point. the hardest thing in the world to do (for most of us) is to harm another person, or kill without hesitation- like in the home invasion scenario.
    He explained a plan of action, but people have to ask themselves could they go through with it.
    i learned how to use an EPI Pen for allergic reactions. guess what? I couldn't use it on myself- couldn't stick it in my own leg. i froze when i needed to use one, so i know that it is possible for people to not act in their best interests in tough situations.

having said all that, i like the show anyway. it is kinda fun to daydream as though you are in "Passenger 57" instead of Snipes, lol.

19. ORIO

ORIO Team Sentinel Prime Moderator News Staff

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I dig the show. I find the info to be pretty nifty. I really liked the episode with fire in the office building, the hijacking episode and the hurricane episode.

I need to see the home invasion one again.

This weeks episode is called "mall shooting"

Now, I highly doubt I'd recall everything I've seen in an episode in the face of an emergency (cuz yeah, panic)
    But there are some useful tips shown

20. Lumpy

Lumpy Taylor Swift Action Master Super Mod

News Credits:
    i agree man...we just watched hurricane and avalanche tonight...the girl didn't want to see home invasion, since you know, we're buying one soon...she really doesn't like the show, but kept having me rewind it to see parts...i think it freaked her out a bit...but i dig it...gonna watch home invasion soon though...its on my Tivo still, if you need to rewatch it maybe we can hang out sometime and watch it...