Heavy/Scratch: Supreme Smokescreen work in progress

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by SmokescreenSWE, Aug 20, 2010.

1. SmokescreenSWE

SmokescreenSWE Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Continued from the earlier thread, but I figured I should make a proper title for it.

I'm making a roughly 1/10-1/12 scale version of Smokescreen using a Tamiya Datsun body and an Energon Unicron. As I said in the other thread, I started by taking Unicron apart and making sure everything would fit inside the car body, and figuring out the most important piece of engineering: getting the front of the car from horizontal to vertical while getting the head out of the way.

I've been busy with other stuff for months so it was only a few days ago that I started on the head, thinking that if I get this part done I'll be more motivated to keep on working.

The head is 90% done, all that's left is filling in gaps (from within) with green stuff to prevent some of the light leakage, adding detailing and putting in the eyes.

All I can say is that my admiration of people like Anemis and Lobo has grown exponentially. Building stuff from scratch is ridiculously time consuming and there's always some part that refuses to cooperate.

With this nearly done, I'll be working on the torso design. I have most of the Lego parts I need but I'm thinking of ordering every part in black so I don't need to paint them and get lots of paint rubbing in there. I don't want to mess with the tight fits of the Lego part.

Any suggestions for panel lining? I'm thinking that I'll just use an angled scalpel blade to make thin grooves.

Edit: 2010-10-10: Updated with new pictures.

Attached Files:

2. autobotx23

autobotx23 Banned

Let me bow. Deeply, from the waist. Wicked!!

3. Shadowbreaker

Shadowbreaker \/ /\

News Credits:
    Dang, this is going to look epic when it's done! :thumb 

4. Slothboy

Slothboy Nick

Nice and ambitious! For the panel lining I'd suggest getting some scribing tools as well, since they're good at gouging out the lines.

5. hXcpunk23

hXcpunk23 The Chaos Bringer

Ebay:
    That head work looks great so far, man! I love a great scratchbuilt head (which is one reason I love doing 'em myself also), so I'm definitely looking forward to more on this. The sheer size should allow for a lot of extra detail.

6. Autobot-X1

Autobot-X1 Mentaly Hilarious

Ebay:
    Looks good so far, keep up the great work!! I agree with Slothboy about the scribing tools for panel lines.

7. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Dry built

News Credits:
    Smokescreen is awesoem, and it's not only great to see variety in the Radicons (when it comes to big guys) but this looks like it's going to be quite the work judging from the head so far.

8. SmokescreenSWE

News Credits:
    Been doing some more legoing. He now has an attachment for the back wheels and the back section of the car to his calves, and they can move into position for robot form. Lego is so damn awesome, I'd just like to say that again. When I glue a single piece to each of his legs, the rest will (literally) hinge on those.

I might as well make a checklist of what needs to be done for the engineering:

* Backbone/roof attachment/neck (working model, will order black replacement parts)
    * Shoulders (will be cut out of Unicron but I need to know exactly what length he'll be when all else is done, there is less room all the time when I add more mechanics)
    * Door attachment (will be a larger version of the Alternator engineering, probably mostly in Lego)
    * Attachment for back of car (working model)
    * Feet (use cut down original feet or make new styrene ones that fit under the car?)
    * Front wheels (think I'll have to go with partsforming here, where they need to be in car mode there's no way to make a sturdy enough hinge to get them over onto his shoulders from there)
    * Car interior? (plenty of space there, unless I want to fold his weapons away somewhere)
    * Spine extension? (he's rather short but I can't really think of a good and sturdy way to make him taller)

Picture shows how everything fits inside for now and with a digibash of how I'll spray paint the car body.

Attached Files:

9. SmokescreenSWE

News Credits:
    The head is mostly complete. I'm not 100% happy with how the face turned out, mostly because it sits to far in front. Not sure if or how I can fix it though. Possibly I'll try to move the upper head further forward. His eyes are powered by a LED flashlight that plugs in the back of his head, so it's removable.

Also pretty much done with the car body. Since it's transparent, I got a perfect finish by painting from the inside. However, it also means that you can't just paint over mistakes, you have to scratch it off and repaint.

Next steps will be coating this entire thing from the inside so it can take some rough handling when I start adding pieces for stability and transformation. Then the hardest part: building a torso to hold his shoulders.

Pictures in OP.

10. G60Force

G60Force World Smallest Mini-Con

Ebay:
    Holy cow!!!

11. SmokescreenSWE

News Credits:
    From the second I posted the last images, it kept bugging me. So I tore off his scalp and filed down the sides. Now it fits much better and gives him a proper "helmet". I also scraped off those horrible lips and just gave him a smug little grin using a thin blade, kind of Animated style.

Now I have a Smokescreen head I'm comfortable showing closeups of, and I feel much better about continuing the work on him now, so it was another hour or so well spent.

Attached Files:

12. Alloy Alchemist

Alloy Alchemist Decepticon sympathizer

lovin this and the SCALE is WOW!!

13. KINGBOTZ

KINGBOTZ www.KINGBOTZ.com TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    So what is the estimated completion time for this beast? Can't wait to to see you pull off this monster!

14. SmokescreenSWE

News Credits:
    No idea. I've never attempted anything this big and I rarely have time to work on him during the weeks. I've put aside all other bashes though, so when there's time things will be happening.

15. G60Force

Ebay:
    .... hey fool... you wanted to say... HOLY SMOKE(SCREEN) :p 

16. SmokescreenSWE

News Credits:
    It lives!!!!

So I'm having my summer vacation so I sat down a few hours to work on Smokescreen again. Now I need to rest my fingers a bit so here's a progress report.

I've sawed his torso in two and modified the shoulders so that the arms can rotate up over his head for transformation. Unicron's arms normally rotate down towards his waist, this is why I've flipped the entire upper torso.

With that done, I could get an idea of how he'll fit within the car. He'll lose about a cm in height with a slightly collapsed waist. I bulked up the Lego spine and will be making "scapulas" that hold the spine, the original shoulders and the waist together. After those, it's mostly a question of minor supports glued on to make him stable.

Then I took on another task I've been dreading. The car model is quite thin but I needed to make fairly precise cuts. After much gentle carving and some cutting, I finally separated everything and could make a rough fit to see his final size. As you can see he'll be nearly as tall as Unicron but wider, about the same proportions as the G1 figure. Seeing him like this I've realized that I need to figure out a good way to add some height at the feet, but I'm already thinking about that great open space in his lower legs...

I have ideas for his launchers, but not the gun. I could possibly scratch build it unless someone has a good idea about a suitable gun to work from at this scale.

Attached Files:

17. G60Force

Ebay:
    FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU!!!!..... now you gave me an idea!!! :( 

THNX this looks awesome!!!

I have an Energon Unicron incomplete extra... and 2 unused Rare Corrado 1:10 body's :D 

PS: If you send me those energon unicron parts (waist/abs/chest/planet) I'll give you my Armada (same) stuff in return + extra?

18. Alloy Alchemist

Alloy Alchemist Decepticon sympathizer

great to see an AWESOME update for this guy!

19. SmokescreenSWE

News Credits:
    It's hard to stop once I get going. Sitting around trying to do some other stuff made me think about the foot solution, and then I promptly got to work again. I cut off the hinges that hold his shin guards and the plastic behind them, leaving an empty space into his lower legs. I then used pieces of Unicron's feet to make more managable ones, that can fold into the legs. Thanks to the design, they also swivel slightly to plant him firmly on the ground.

The picture shows the current look and the mechanism that will hold the car pieces. I will need to construct something to place the wheels where they are supposed to be in both modes. More Lego, probably.

Attached Files:

20. Tigertrack

Tigertrack Back In The Game!

Holy Mother!

May I make a suggestion? For the front wheels, maybe use some steering and suspension parts off a 1/10 scale RC car? Just a thought, might give it more detailing and some structure. Also might want to use some axles from RC car for the rear wheels as well.

This is unbelievable and really inspiring. With all the time I have on my hands, I need to seriously consider scratch-building my self. :) 

The more I see this kind of work, the more inspired I become!