supreme optimus

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by kwickstrike, Feb 8, 2009.

1. kwickstrike

kwickstrike Banned

Ebay:
    this dude any good? saw him today for 40 and i was wondering if he is at all worth it. by the back of the box he looks to be a huge activatorish

2. djmagic

djmagic Well-Known Member

i dont like it. It is way to big. I would rather pick up a leader or some smaller figs.

3. grayman

grayman The Alpha and The Omega TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    He is big for no reason and overpriced. All of the money went into the lights and sound gimmick. Only a completist or someone who wants a 12 inch tall deluxe Animated Optimus Prime should get him.

4. Dolza_Khyron

Dolza_Khyron Well-Known Member

lol i don't know i'll probably get him when he becomes cheap enough, i mean even if it is just for that ax lol.

5. kwickstrike

kwickstrike Banned

Ebay:
    ill be honest i wouldnt buy a 50 ax

6. NemesisBruticus

NemesisBruticus Banned

I got him for 25 bucks. HAHA :lol 

7. deltaprime

deltaprime The Christian Transfan

At first, I was thinking of the Energon series's Optimus & Omega combo toy. On the fence about the giant Prime. Might be cool to have a Prime that big, but I looks sorta goofy to me.

8. kwickstrike

kwickstrike Banned

Ebay:
    how??!?!?!?!

9. NemesisBruticus

NemesisBruticus Banned

He was on sale at target. The box was a little beat up but I dont care. Toatally worth that much.

10. smkspy

smkspy is one nice fucking kitty

I was lucky and got mine for $20, but really he isn't worth more than that.

11. all are dead

all are dead Being a nerd is my game.

News Credits:
    i got him in the summer and he is ok...

12. Gingerchris

Gingerchris Telly-headed Tyrant

News Credits:
    Even when it was half price at Tescos I didn't want it. It's just too plain at that size. It's okay if you're hankering for a big figure, but the Voyager and Earth Deluxe of Optimus are much more fun.

13. NGW

NGW Rawr

News Credits:
    He's a waste of plastic IMO. Much like Ultimate Bumblebee, a toy is ruined in favor of gimmicky crap.

14. rob_charb

rob_charb Well-Known Member

I'm in the obvious minority here, as I think Roll Out and Command Prime is actually quite an great toy. Don't get me wrong, he has his flaws, which I'll go into a moment, but I'm really happy with him, and I paid full retail price for him :D 

First, the Good:

He's a gigantic Prime! He has a huge amount of shelf-presence, and it's not all due simply to his size. He looks like a big, hulky Prime who is more than capable of busting some Decepti-chops. The autotransformation feature is, IMO, quite nifty. I like the way the entire torso transforms itself simply by rolling the figure alone. He has beautiful colouring, although the different shades of blue look a little odd, some great sound clips, a huge axe with a great gimmick and is the only Prime in existence who gives an Errol Flynn-esque "Ha-Ha!" while smashing the hell out of some Decepticon with his gigantic Axe of Fury.

Now, the Bad:

Due to the autotransformation and gimmicks, he's pretty much a brick. His legs have some pretty decent range of motion, but they're hampered quite badly by the J-Lo backside. His left arm is a permantly in a bent position and the most the right arm can do is bend at roughly 90 degrees or hang almost straight down. He lacks a lot of detailing for his size, but that's partly due to the simplistic look of Animated. His head as no movement due to the electronics. Pretty much all of his articulation is limited to his legs, which as I said are in turn hampered by his derriere. What little transforming you have to do is pretty simple, to the point of being somewhat unsatisfying given his size.

Finally, the Gimmicky:

He has some really great gimmicks, and some not-so great gimmicks. The great ones would include the moving mouth plate, which moves up and down pretty much in sync with what he's saying. The voice clips are top-notch, though pretty limited. He also has a "shing" sound when you make the axe arm move, and kind of clanging sound when you make the punching arm, well, punch and in alt mode has sirens (can't remember if he has a horn too, I think he does, but it's been a while since I had batteries in him and transformed him) and flashing lights. His eyes flash too, when he's talking...at least I seem to recall them flashing. When you put the axe in his right hand and press the plate on the back of the hand against the hand, it triggers the axe's gimmick, which is the blades pop out and the flame on the back pops out. A simple, yet pretty sweet gimmick that I never tire of. However, the arm gimmicks are a pain in the ass. Because of the way his arm gimmicks work, his arms are pretty much frozen in place. The only movement in them is when you do the axe swing or make the left hand punch. The rest of the time, they don't move, aside from the aforementioned elbow on the right arm. There is no lateral shoulder movement, only back and forth, and only to the degree that the gimmicks allow. The complete lack of poseability is my only gripe with this toy. For the size of the toy, it should have been more than possible to include the gimmicks and still have him be able to pose in more than two stances.

Basically, it boils down to this: Do you want a really great looking Prime figure that's makes for a hell of a display piece and you can pose anyway you want? Or do you just want a great looking Prime that makes for a hell of a shelf-hogger? If it's the first, I suggest MP/20th Anni Prime. He's waaaay more poseable, more detailed, has much more integrated gimmicks that don't interfer with the toy at all and is, bar none, the best G1 Prime to ever grace a collector's shelf. If you don't mind a toy that was, at every step of design, aimed entirely at kids and not collectors, get ROaC Prime. Just don't expect to blown away by his amazing articulation, because you'll be sadly let down.

15. kwickstrike

kwickstrike Banned

Ebay:
    mods u can close this thread.

im definitally not getting this brick. ty guys

16. T-Logicon

T-Logicon assembles the drones

my target still has him for $19.99+ tax. boxes are kinda banged up but not too bad at all. I already have the voyger size TFA prime plus this one does nothing for me.

17. SoundMaster

SoundMaster Likes RID Bulkhead.

News Credits:
    I personally like him. If you want a fully articulated figure though, than skip him.

18. Batman

Batman The Dark Knight TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    He is on clearance at Canadian Wal-Marts for $10. That is if you can still find one.