Supreme Commander

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by RabidYak, Feb 17, 2007.

1. RabidYak

RabidYak Go Ninja Go Ninja Go

Any of the other PC guys playing Supreme Commander? You might need a monster of a machine to shift it, but good gawd is it worth it.

I've been complaining for years that the innovation and awesome combined arms carnage of Total Annihilation was ignored by RTS developers in favor of continually repeating the shallow monotony of C+C and Warcraft. Thankfully the original TA guy seems to have got sick of it as well, so now we have its successor in all but name and the awesomeness is back.

I highly recommend it to any strat fiend with a gaming-grade PC under 2 years old. Its everything that TA was and more, on an even more apocalyptic scale then before.

2. Atomsplitter

Atomsplitter Needs a new title.

I havn't touched the campaign mode aside from what was in the demo, but i've played a skirmish with all 3 sides, I love the game and its innovations, but I just wish there was more difference between the 3 factions. Up to the experimental units (And holy shit, crazy stuff) the main units are basicially all the same, but one might have a shield, while the other has better firepower or defence.

But it's definately a fun game, and it's nothing i'll get sick of anytime soon. 81 KM maps = woahholyshitthatshuge.

3. Savanna

Savanna Want to Touch my Wankel?

I did the Demo they released, and a leaked Beta, and I just found it boring as hell. My PC is not awesome, but it can runs Half Life 2 and Doom 3 near max, and this game ran horrible. I found the Storage system for Power and Ore(I think it was a sort of Ore) to be compeltely stupid, and the build time on some thigns to be insanely long. Half the dam screen is covered with your Power Meter and buttons for control of your items.

Warhammer Dawn of War series is so much better than this.

4. DevilzFan

DevilzFan CobraIsland.com Veteran

You can't expect a computer that can run high-end games from 3 years ago, has the power to run all the high-end games today.

As for the game, I'll check it out. I haven't found a really good strategy game in years. I often find myself just playing "Star Wars: Rebellion (Supremacy) over and over again. :lol 

5. Savanna

I know they are a few years old now, but Supreme Commander even when I had it on high settings, watching it clunk by, looked a bit on the fugly side.

6. RabidYak

No kidding, my first battle with one of the giant Cybran spiders wiped out 80-odd units in the field and only ended when tactical bombers and artillery brought it down on my base defence line.

That pretty much answers it, SC isn't the game for you if your into light tactical fluff like DOW.

Storing excess resources has been a standard RTS element since Dune 2 defined the genre. Generating them is no different to DOW either, due to the fact that DOW stole its resourcing system from SC's predacessor. As for the control bar filling half the screen, it needs higher resoultion and prefrably a 16:10 monitor. The likes of 1024x768 don't cut it anymore.

Still the best SW strategy game by far and one of my all time favorites, it badley needs a sequel.

If your video card is as old as your computer sounds, it probably isn't even capable of rendering the game properly on high settings at any framerate. This game puts other RTS titles to shame when its in full action on a good system.

7. Savanna

The Vid Card got upgraded Last year, Motherboard, CPU, RAM, and Soundcard 2 years ago.

I do liek Tactical, but it was just to slow. 2 of the 5 Skirmishs I on Hard, I would still be waiting a hour for them to do any real action.

No matter, C&C3 out next month will be fine, plus I do have the Warhammer.

8. RabidYak

Fair enougth if thats your bag. I would have thougth that you would have been able to keep SC ticking over on medium settings with gear of that age, assuming you brought good stuff (3.5+ processer, 1GB+ of decent ram and a GF6800+ or ATI equiv.)

9. Atomsplitter

Both of these things can be changed though. A lot of people complain about the UI, you can change it so that it's a more traditional sidebaar by holding alt (I think, posssibly space) and pressing the arrow keys.

And about buildtimes, the more engineers you put on a project the faster it goes. Bigger stuff having longer build times makes sense.

Although I do have to admit that the graphics aren't amazing, but that's not what the game is about. It's about crazy huge fights using an insane amount of troops. It seems like (In the demo at least) it was the sound that was slowing most peoples PCs down.

10. llamatron

llamatron Shut up, Nigel. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Total Annihilation was such a good game, best RTS ever. I'm looking forward to getting hold of Supreme Commander, but just don't have the time / cash at the moment.

11. The_Bardock

The_Bardock ****** of the Minicons

Wow when did this game come out? I thought we still had awhile for it

12. Atomsplitter

Well, it actually isn't out yet... I think it's the 20th it's out.

13. JD

JD Well-Known Member

Total Annihilation is one the few PC games I actually own and love. It's just a shame my specs are nowhere near good enough to play Supreme Commander, otherwise it'd be mine in a heartbeat :( 

14. RabidYak

It isn't out in the US yet? It was released here on Friday, plus I got it a couple of days early thanks to over enthusiastic shipping from an online store.

15. DevilzFan

DevilzFan CobraIsland.com Veteran

Recently, quite a few games have been hitting Europe before the US.

16. Savanna

I knew about the more Engineers, but most the time it would nearly instantly devistate ther power system.

17. RabidYak

Your not generating enougth energy to cover production, nor do you have enougth stored reserve to complete it while exceeding the limits of your supply. Fix the former by building more generators and the latter by building more storage facilities. Resources are infinate in this game, the only limit on them is your ability to exploit.

Supreme Commander is total war, playing it like a C+C level skirmish game will get you nowhere fast. Big strategy needs big armies, to get big armies fast you need lots of facilities, to operate lots of facilities you needs lots of resources. If you can't manage the entire chain and ensure that it all runs smoothly, your not going to do well.

18. Savanna

I know about making more, but when the things get so dam big to build and its bigger than your Factorys to build units, its just semi retarded. You could say that the bigger the more power is a normal thing, but I think they made them overly big. I also foudn the defense systems to be rather piss poor most the time after everyone is past last 1.

19. RabidYak

Large power requirements arn't even an issue if you progress your facilities to match the tech levels, its not like L2 and L3 power plants are difficult to build if you have sufficent facilities from the previous level to keep your engineers working.

If your complaining that its more complicated that just building factories and watching units magically appear out of them like in almost every other RTS, thats the point of the game. Your there to manage an entire war machine from the ground upwards and to leverage it against an opposing force, not to knock up a simple base and zerg the other player.

L2 artillery and point defences with L3 SAM launchers and both kinds of missile defence will keep all but the most sustained attacks out of your bases, even more so if you cover the front lines and high value structures with shields and make use of walls. The only stuff that is difficult to deal with are the experimental superweapons, but thats the point of them and they certainly arn't invicible if you've got the right offensive gear to soften them up.

You'll need to get your resources and construction right before you can even think about building and using that stuff thougth.

20. Savanna

I was jsut a bit more peeved about how big some of the structuers where, and it forced me to find a new place to building them as there was no way to fit them in my already created base.