Supreme Commander Name Changing?

Discussion in 'Transformers Animated Discussion' started by Galvatro, Oct 14, 2008.

1. Galvatro

Galvatro Make mine Animated! TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    Hello All!

If Optimus Prime becomes Supreme Commander after Ultra Magnus, what would his new name be? Or, would it change at all? Going by the suggested Animated Autobot hierarchy, Primes seem to be the level of command under Ultra Magnus. We have Sentinel, Optimus, and Longarm Primes so far. If Optimus becomes Supreme Commander, would his name then change to Optimus Magnus? Would Sentinel Prime become Sentinel Magnus if he becomes Supreme Commander?

Like Prime denotes a rank, does the name of 'Magnus' denote the Supreme Commander? Perhaps, Ultra Magnus was Ultra Prime at one time. No mention has been made of other Sup. Comms. in the Animated Universe yet, so there is really no basis to denote rank other than Longarm becoming Longarm Prime and Sentinel Minor becoming Sentinel Prime as suggested by the episode Autoboot Camp IIRC. The Sup. Comm. would seem to need the name change to suggest the step-up in rank. Just my 2 cents and what I gather from the show.

Galvatro

Last edited: Oct 14, 2008
  2. samtheman

samtheman Well-Known Member

Well in G1 Optimus Prime called Ultra Magnus just plain "Magnus". With that logic I would assume the root of Ultra Magnus' name is Magnus and the Ultra is his rank. Given the logic above, since "Prime" also seems to be a rank, I would assume that if Animated Optimus Prime ever became supreme comander his name would more then likely be Ultra Optimus.

3. Ravenxl7

Ravenxl7 W.A.F.F.L.E.O.

News Credits:
    That's my guess so far too. Also, Bumblebee's little "so that's why they call him ULTRA Magnus" line supports this theory.

4. Sir_Sapphire

Sir_Sapphire Well-Known Member

I thing Optimus would keep his current name to remind him, and everyone else that he's just one of the cogs, like eveyone else.

5. blue death

blue death TokuNation Staff

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    yeah id like to agree with this but idk either way beccause for the forseable future of animated Ultra Magnus doesnt look like hes going anywhere anyways.

6. Lockdown

Lockdown Bootey Hunter

News Credits:
    Optimus wont become the Autobot supreme commander in Animated.

7. transmetal2dinobot

transmetal2dinobot Sub-Commander

Ebay:
    optimus maximus?
    no?

8. MetroBoy

MetroBoy Keeper of the Cheese

I kinda think that Optimus wouldn't abandon the whole Prime ranking thing the same way I don't think he'd ever wear an Elite Guard insignia. I just don't see this Prime holding himself above any other Autobot by branding himself with something that would cast him apart from the "grunts".

9. Moonscream

Moonscream YES, We EXIST!

News Credits:
    Logically if he became Supreme Commander his second name would change to Magnus, but since Hasbro isn't likely to go with that, they'll probably eventually make it to where he's a war hero with buku respect from everyone and thus has a societal position equal to Magnus, without the bureaucratic BS that a Magnus has to put up with.

--Moony

10. johaneggink

johaneggink Netherlands

News Credits:
    Ultra Optimus would make the most sense to me.
    Magnus was probably Magnus Prime when he was an officer.
    I think Prime is an officer rank and Ultra a general rank.

11. Lockdown

Lockdown Bootey Hunter

News Credits:
    Anyone who seriously thinks this is likely to occur is obviously still having problems with the premise that in Animated Optimus isnt the supreme commander and/or isnt watching the same cartoon I am. Optimus assuming this kind of position just doesnt fit with the premise of the show :banghead: 

While I could see something like maybe see Optimus (and his crew) being hailed as heroes towards the end of the series (and only if the writers had enough warning that it was indeed the end) I wouldnt go so far as to say that it would make him equal to Magnus.

However while i really think it wont occur I do think that it would be Ultra thats the rank portion of the name just because Prime and Minor are honourific suffixes doesnt mean the that for supreme commander it couldnt be a honourific prefix hell one could argue that simply due to the Prime and Minor ranks being attainable by multiple individuals while Supreme Commander is a unique rank held by only a single individul at any one time that the change from suffix to prefix could simply be an additional way of distinguishing such an important position.

12. samtheman

We never said it was going to happen we where just discussing the "what if" aspect of it.

13. Galvatro

Galvatro Make mine Animated! TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    Hello All!

This was only a 'What If?' thread. The only reason that I thought about the name changing was when Sentinel Prime was Sentinel Minor in Autoboot Camp, rerun on CN recently. It seems that Animated has one-upped the overall leadership title from Op Prime's G1 Commander title to that of Supreme Commander (a reference to the Japanese G1 series, perhaps?).

Ultra Magnus being called Magnus Prime before his attaining the Supreme Commander status works really well. It would indicate yet a further distinction between the rank of Prime and the Supreme Commander title of Ultra- the dropping of Prime from the end of the name and the adding of Ultra to the front of the new Sup. Comms. name. That could mean combos like Ultra Sentinel, Ultra Longarm (this could be an interesting storyline), or whomever.

BTW, if Op Prime was to became Sup. Commander, why would his personality necessarily change?

Galvatro, musing and pondering after being up for 20 hours

14. Harbinger

Harbinger ecnayonnA

if Optimus became supreme commander i can see his name changing to Ultra Optimus. though if/when it happens? i would see it only happen in the last episode of animated. with the whole story form start to end being Optimus working his way back then all the way to the top in the end. season 1's theme was Optimus learning to be a hero, season 2 was Optimus learning about consequences of his actions. now we just need to see what he keeps on learning as he regains respect and trust of all his fellow autobots.

15. IronicHide

IronicHide MEME GO HERE

I think they* just make it up as they go along.

Though, it would be nice if a character can pick which part of their (compound) name carries over.
    Iron Prime. Ultra Hide.
    Jumper Prime. Ultra Cliff. (Yes.)

Face it, though, Prowl just ain't getting a promotion anytime because his name doesn't fit.

Of course, if Rodimus Prime used to be Hot Rod in TFA's world, then it allows characters to fancify their handles to suit.
    But, as discussed, Rodimus Prime is a chief.

Alternatively, what's in a Decepticon title? Throughout G1, the 2007 movie, and TFA Megatron is referred to as "Lord". I think somebody else gets called a general in some continuity... Is it feudal? Militaristic?

*Autobots, cartoon writers, whoever

16. Julliant

Julliant This space for rent.

I guess that's the problem. As much as we'd like to think we have some mythos going on, it's all just made up as they go along and it really doesn't fit very well.

Although there is this fanart of Bumblebee becoming a Prime, and his name would be Auceps Prime, "Auceps" meaning gold as a homage to his Goldbug identity.

17. Ramrider

Ramrider TF Art Lad

Heh. That just gave me a mental image. What if they show an ep back when Optimus was a slightly lower rank (you know the one)? Would he have turned into a monkey? :lol 

You might want to revisit the quote you posted. "Auceps" doesn't mean gold, it's Latin for "spy". "Au" is the chemical shorthand for gold.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2008
  18. Lockdown

Lockdown Bootey Hunter

News Credits:
    I do see what your saying but why would either drop a part of their compound names Longarm didnt using Hot Rod> Rodimus as a precedent doesnt work since much like Sentinel and Optimus his name was likely Rodimus>Rodimus Minor>Rodimus Prime

19. Julliant

Julliant This space for rent.

Yes a typo. I meant it was a homage to Goldbug.

20. samtheman

Also Optimus' name before he became a prime was Orion Pax. He was wounded by Megatron and taken to Alpha Trion for repairs. Alpha Trion named him Optimus Prime after the repairs where done and he beat Megatron in their first battle.

I guess that kind of shows how much they make it up as they go along.