Customs: supreme class starscream to g1 skywarp

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by skywarp1016, Feb 23, 2011.

1. skywarp1016

skywarp1016 Banned

Ebay:
    supreme class starscream to wfc skywarp

hey i new to customizing bot and want to repaint this starscream into my favorite skywarp the g1 version any tips for the job like should i strip the original ss paint of then paint the skywarp colors or just paint over it and where can i get the best paint at and what to use

Last edited: Feb 26, 2011
  2. kryptofred

kryptofred super-con

Ebay:
    I would dissassemble everything first. remove all screws and peices you can and wipe them down. If your worried about remembering how to put it back together you can lable things like screws or do one arm and use the other for a refrence. Then, since Skywarp is mostly black anyway, paint everything black to make it uniform. Use many, many thin layers and make sure everything is dry between coats. Then go back and start adding your detail colors like purple and silver or whatever you choose.

Layering paint and letting it properly dry and cure takes a lot of time so go slow and good luck. And make sure you post it when it's done.

3. Treadshot A1

Treadshot A1 Toy Designer

You're crazy. A supreme for your first repaint? Start small is my only advice for ya.

If you're set on this project, then simply strip the paint with, you guessed it, paint stripper. If you can't get that, i find a blade dipped in enamel thinner works, but it's a longer process.

Paint-wise, i say go to your local hobby shop and get something made for plastic models. Don't bother with craft paints or stuff you find in, say, your local dept. store. And from what i hear, if you see Apple Barrel, run. I personally use Games Workshop and Mr. Hobby Paints, and hate Tamiya, but i know customisers who use Tamiya like it's the only paint that exists, and achieve great things with it. Paint's a very subjective thing, just experiment. Since Skywarp's black, you won't need to resort to GW Chaos Black, which is just plain expensive, however i'd recommend getting GW Liche Purple, as it is simply a great purple paint, and probably the most Decepticon-y purple i've found.

Also make sure to invest in some painter's tape. It'll be necessary to get Skywarp's stripes. I use Scotch's, though other brands are fine.

4. Bigbot3030

Bigbot3030 Well-Known Member

One thing i'd recomend is after you remove a screw from a hole and take the piece apart, put the screw right back in the hole. that way you'll never have to worry about where one piece of hardware goes, they are already there. that simple little trick (if you can even call it that) has saved me so much headache later on.
    Good luck!

Randy!

5. skywarp1016

skywarp1016 Banned

Ebay:
    thanks im starting the dis assembly of him now

6. skywarp1016

skywarp1016 Banned

Ebay:
    its looking great i decided to ditch the g1 color and go for a more custom colored skywarp same original black pujrple and silver but my design for it

7. Superquad7

Superquad7 OCP Police Crime Prevention Unit 001 Super Content Contributor

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    I don't think this is a largely bad choice for a first custom. It's a bigger figure, but it's not like a Masterpiece figure in regards to complexity. There's enough bulk to it that should make painting pretty easy.

I'd also recommend performing a search of others' customs doing the same. I know REDLINE has made a custom Skywarp using the voyager of the same toy into Skywarp as a commission to TFW2005.com board member Runamuck. I'm sure there are others, but that's just me thinking off of the cuff here :) 

8. skywarp1016

skywarp1016 Banned

Ebay:
    ya i mean once got it taken apart it was smooth no problems or mishaps its a great figure to work with and ya i think i seen a couple of custom skywarps on the gallery i just wanted my own and try to do one my self first coat of the purple on the chest is done and the other parts are sitting over night to dry better before the get put together

9. Fishdirt

Fishdirt Tin Toy Transformer

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Couldn't disagree more. It'd actually be easier and I'd recommend anyone to do so for a first. Problem is the cost of a figure. The bigger size makes painting a lot easier and a lot harder to lose the parts that otherwise tiny on deluxe and voyager class figures. No worries on painting in teeny tiny areas of scouts and leader class.

10. skywarp1016

skywarp1016 Banned

Ebay:
    just about done arms and wings are connected and done body is drying awaiting another coat legs are together and i decided to go in more of a war for cybertron skywarp with my own color ideas

11. skywarp1016

skywarp1016 Banned

Ebay:
    hes done doesnt look to bad for my first custom what do you guys think

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 26, 2011
  12. skywarp1016

skywarp1016 Banned

Ebay:
    couple more pics

Attached Files: