Heavy/Scratch: Supreme Class Movie Megatron

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by Giskard Rentlov, Dec 11, 2010.

1. Giskard Rentlov

Giskard Rentlov Agent of Chaos

Hi all,

So, I finally managed to get one of my projects 90% finished. Still some work to do…I have been working on this for approx 12 months.

G1 will always be the best, but I did like the movie aesthetic, where the Decepticons are made more monstrous.

So here is my Supreme Movie Megatron:

Major thanks to Rodimus, Alpha Magnus and Kingbotz for their Supreme Starscream customs, which gave me many ideas for this project.

Starting with a Supreme Starscream, I took off the air intakes, pulled out the electrics, removed the arms entirely and cut the shoulders right down to the joints. I think this is great model to use, but the lack of articulation in the arms really bugged me.

I replaced the elbows with Unicron knees, cut down to the joints and inverted so that the top of the lower leg becomes the bicep. The parts line up pretty well, just needed building up with some styrene and putty.

Extending the arms this way makes the chest look too narrow. I solved this by adding cut down pieces of Zoid armour that become pectoral chest plates. These are attached magnetically so that they can be moved and do not interfere with the movement of the new arms. They also rotate for transformation.

I used G1 Scorponok claws, and added an articulated bionicle thumb, to change it all up a bit. Claws attach into forearms with magnets. The claws retain all original articulation, plus now they rotate 360 degrees.

Claws are integrated into the alt. mode, and do not need to be removed.

The shoulders have Gundam parts as extra plates; a Gundam shield was also used to cover over the cockpit section, finished out with putty.

The head started out as a Bionicle foot part, inverted so that the ankle ball joint becomes the neck. The face is Unicron, cut down as far as possible. The forehead, nose, jaw, teeth and chin are all re-sculpted from putty by hand. The helmet is made from pieces of Neo-Shifter and Zoid armour. The jaw spikes/mandibles are from a pair of plastic forceps.

The head has an LED unit mounted through the back, with the light, batteries and switch all included. I found this easier and neater that soldering and wiring, and as the head is one solid piece, I do not have to option of taking it apart to replace any of these bits.

The carapace/back pack part is half of an industrial fuse box that I got off the maintenance guy at work. The square section in the centre is a magnet, and his cannon attaches here for alt. mode. The connection gives 360 degrees rotation. The cannon can also be attached here in robot mode, if Megs want to get his claws dirty.
    The cannon attaches magnetically to Megatron's upper arm-I think that this works better for a large weapon that attaching to the forearm. There is less interference with the arm/claw movement.

The carapace backpack folds up and down on Bionicle levers, which are bolted in behind his shoulders. The part covers his head in alt. mode.

The black triangular piece in the front/centre of the carapace locks via magnet to a metal clip which is fitted underneath the final extension of the back of the torso.

The back thruster unit and fusion cannon are both taken from an 80's GI Joe vehicle.
    The cannon barrel is extended with the cap from a large colouring pen.

Attached Files:

2. xeno

xeno xeno

News Credits:
    There is something very cool and unique about the aesthetic this guy has. I can't quite put my finger on it. Awesome.

3. Giskard Rentlov

Supreme Movie Megatron

More pictures...

Attached Files:

4. Giskard Rentlov

Supreme Movie Megatron

And some more pictures...

Attached Files:

5. Giskard Rentlov

Supreme Movie Megatron

Final set for now....this is the first custom that I have managed to get this far. Comments are most welcome, and thanks Xeno for the first reply...:) 

Attached Files:

6. Insecticon

Insecticon I am a Transformers

Ebay:
    I really love this custom! It is quite a unique take on movie Megs. What makes it so special is that you combined both the movie ascetic with G1, making quite a sleek looking Megatron. I'd rather have seen something like this used in the movies instead of the chaotic current design.

7. Giskard Rentlov

Thanks Insecticon, you have really got what I was going for, a kind a hybrid of G1 and Movie styles.