Supernatural: Season II [Review]

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Witwicky Camaro, Aug 3, 2007.

1. Witwicky Camaro

Witwicky Camaro Sabbatical Is Required

News Credits:
    I'm not even sure if any FT Fans here watch Supernatural, but it seemed like a good place to post this.

{MAJOR SPOILERS}

Since the first Season of SUPERNATURAL came to a close, I wondered (like many other fans of this junior series) what would happen during the season premier of the Second season. Granted, what happened was expected and unexpected as more time winded down between the debut and beyond, but all in all SUPERNATURAL - SEASON II wasn't a bad season. It certainly advances in some places and improves in spots Season I kinda faltered on. However, as the season progressed, it steadily fell off the horse sometimes, with a lagging subplot, and heavily bogged down with Angst Episodes that made me crave for what I loved so much about the 1st season: Balance and Solidity. Season II was as skittish and temperamental as the Brothers it focused on. Ironically, if you don't count the many hiatus' this season went on, Season II feels an awful lot shorter than the 1st.

The season stars off rather slowly with the premier episode "In my Time of Dying", an almost "physical" homage to Buffy's "Normal Again" in a sense. In the wake of the Impala's ominous death by T-Bone (curse you Tractor Trailer, curse you!), the Winchesters find themselves struggling to regroup after their battle with THE DEMON and now must cope with the news of Dean's Comatose state, while Dean himself is having an Out of Body Experience and struggles to communicate with his family, whilst a reaper in disguise roams about the Hospital trying to claim the lives of its ailing occupants (himself included). Meanwhile, Sam and John are at odds as to what to about Dean's situation (though John has already made up his mind about he 'had' to do, unbeknownst to either of his sons) and as this episode boils down, the end is probably the most shocking with the departure of John Winchester. And I'm not talking about the so-called 'big-secret' John whispered to Dean. From there, the Brothers are practically back at square one; Dean cuts himself off emotionally from Sam, and throws himself completely into the Hunting gig. Sam is trying to come to grips with his own regrets concerning John and their tattered relationship, while he attempts to get his brother open up and just tell him what's on his mind. The attempt works only on a few rare occasions (once against Dean's will in "Simon Said". I frown upon this moment, 'cause I don't like it.) and afterward Dean reverts to his now normal status-quo. Sam continues to push until his brother snaps. From there is a cycle of swallow, rinse, and spit (with less punches), with only the occasional reversion back to the Atmosphere of Season I. Even a couple of 'average' episodes makes it way into this season.

SEASON II also decides to continue on with the 'Sam and All The Special Children' subplot that was hinted at in Season I. THE DEMON is making his move on every child, all at the ages of six months, he visited as babies in cribs (or otherwise noted) and is gathering them up or convincing them to do his bidding, which somehow leads up to a 'War' -as so-southern-Bobby so eloquently puts it - or a 'Hell on Earth' kind of Scenario any time an episode addresses this situation. This is basically where this season falls flat. Amidst all the Drama surrounding this big to-do apocalypse, you the viewer, must suffer through redundant rants and complaints from the youngest Winchester, Sam, fearing that he is pure evil (that Dean might have to put him down) and what THE DEMON's plans are for him. Everytime I hit the mute button, silence is bliss. There is also alot Angel-esque brooding from Dean, who seems utterly helpless to help his brother despite his protests otherwise. When John's "big secret" is revealed, it only gets more redundant from there, almost like being a dead horse. Nothing actually is said or done until the two part Season Finale "All Hell Breaks Loose (I-II)". But aside from that, the funny-only-time episode "Tall Tales" and the totally lame "Heart" Werewolf episode, the Season is not all bad as I make it out to be.

The best parts were probably the ever-present Subplot concerning the Winchesters on the run from local and government Authorities. When the FBI are finally called in, things seem considerably bleak for the brothers with their constant brush ins with the right arm of the law ("The Usual Suspects" - "Night Shifter" - "Folsom Prison Blues"), though they manage to slip under the radar in spite of their publicized criminal records. Another positive, is the introduction of some new characters, Ellen (The amazing Samantha Ferris) and Joanna "Jo" Beth Harvelle (Alona Tal), and MIT-kick out Ash/"Dr. Badass". All three work at Ellen's Roadhouse and ironically, have a connection with John Winchester. Or at least, Ellen does, anyway. At first, all three characters feel as though their an intrusion on the series, without really taking any focus off the brothers. The Harvelle's were probably the most irritating in the beginning, especially with the obvious disdain Mama-Harvelle aimed toward the Brothers. Her daughter, Jo, was mildly irritating simply because of her youthful appearance; The unreigned cockiness that radiated off her was didn't help either. She also managed to slug Dean in her first appearance. Which, dude, was so not cool. She practically screamed 'Tough-Girl-Wannabe' at me. But with time comes acceptance for most and I learned to like both characters by "No Exit." I hope to see both women in the next season this fall. When they announced that Samantha Ferris would be a regular guest star on the series, I was giddy-stupid with happiness. As an Avid "Gundam Wing" Fan, it was nice to see the face of "Sally Po" in full motion instead of staring tiny publicity photo(s) icons. Another positive is the 'calm-before-the-storm' episode "What is and Should Never Be" - the WHAT-IF Episode I didn't see coming. Its by far by all time favorite episode (arguably the best of the season) of Season II: Jensen Ackles performance is amazing and its a total must watch. The acting from the main cast, is defiantly better this time around, though I may contradict myself with what I'm about to say next. Jensen Ackles gives the better performance as a more troubled and near broken-down Dean Winchester, while maintaining that quirky/humorous side I like about him. Jared Padalecki gives the status-quo performance as the Broody, Self-Tortured Sam Winchester, who is, thankfully almost less annoying in this Season for a time. Both actors continue to maintain their chemistry and the Brotherly-aspect of the show, which is so compelling. The Atmosphere of the series takes a seemingly darker turn in the atmosphere department. In a way, its almost a claustrophobic kind of Despair, that mingles with the Horror, which isn't as strong as before though it manages to creep you out still. The violence and show of blood as upped a notch or two as well, just don't expect heavy-gore; The gross-out factor still remains in most instances. Oh and lastly, there are more Chevy Impala vs. [insert vehicle here] scenes in this season as well. You cannot outrun an Impala villains! ....Unless you own a Mustang GTO, that is.

The tradition of CLASSIC ROCK, with a mix of Modern and Grunge Rock ---SOUNDGARDEN and ALICE IN CHAINS, anyone? Sweet---, is continued and either excels beyond expectations or falters in other cases (Berry White's kinda out of place in this show despite its proper use). The score, composed by Christopher Lennertz and Jay Gruska, continues to reflect the horror/thriller atmosphere of the show like pros, though its still sounds like made-for-TV music (shuffles feet coyly).

--------

[EPISODE LISTING]:

02.01. In My Time Of Dying - 3/5

02.02. Everybody Loves A Clown - 4/5

02.03. Bloodlust - 3/5

02.04. Children Shouldn't Play With Dead Things - 4/5

02.05. Simon Said - 3/5

02.06. No Exit - 5/5

02.07. The Usual Suspects - 4/5

02.08. Crossroad Blues - 3/5 (a disturbingly realistic voodoo-legend)

02.09. Croatoan - 4/5 ("28 Days Later" inspired episode)

02.10. Hunted - 3/5

02.11. Playthings - 4/5

02.12. Night Shifter - 5/5 ("Renegade" - Styx)

02.13. Houses of the Holy - 3/5 (the issue of belief and God are once again addressed in this episode)

02.14. Born Under a Bad Sign - 4/5 (Alona Tal gives a stellar performance in this episode)

02.15. Tall Tales - 3/5 (after the UFO-jibe, it wasn't funny anymore)

02.16. Road Kill - 5/5

02.17. Heart - 1/5 (Worst S2 Episode Ever....)

02.18. Hollywood Babylon - 4/5

02.19. Folsom Prison Blues - 5/5

02.20. What Is, And What Should Never Be - 5/5 (Best S2 Episode Ever!)

02.21. All Hell Breaks Loose Part I - 3/5

02.22. All Hell Breaks Loose Part II - 3/5

All in all, SUPERNATURAL SEASON II turned out to be a promising continuation of a exceptionally great first Season. Its hanging in there with the Best of them ('MEDIUM' [best of a pack] and 'GHOST WHISPERER' [who is steadily improving despite its 'touch by an angel'-ness]). It stumbles and falls, but gets right back up and resumes its 'holier than thou' march into our living rooms. I can only hope that it only improves with time (given they allow it to) and doesn't fall into the ugly pit of 'bad-seasonness' holes Buffy and Angel (among other Supernatural themed series) have stumbled into and had problems climbing back out of. Its pending Second Season DVD release should satisfy fans and newcomers alike. Recommended Weekend viewing. ------[a 3 out of 5]. [6-6-07]

2. 04GHOST

04GHOST Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Im confused.....not really any spoilers since season 2 is long gone. Season 3 starts in Sept. Thanks for the overview though. Can not wait for the Season 2 box set. Supernatural is one of my favorite shows:thumb  BTW, what was the HEART episode about that you did not like, I forget. Also, whats a Mustang GTO? Did you mean Mustang or GTO? ;) 

3. ZecksKitty

ZecksKitty Banned

Cool.

4. Witwicky Camaro

Witwicky Camaro Sabbatical Is Required

News Credits:

Its my short term for 1967 Ford Mustang [Shelby Cobra] GT500 (The GT"O" probably isn't right, given that its an entirely different make and model by same company, Ford. Assuming I've got my info right). If you haven't noticed, I've got a sort of thing for it. Its' such a beautiful muscle car.

5. 04GHOST

04GHOST Well-Known Member

Ebay:

I got ya. The GTO though was/is made by Pontiac. It is considered the "first" muscle car. I myself am more of a Camaro fan but I am not bias torwards Ford. I presently own a Ford SVT Lightning and am planning on purchasing the new Camaro when its released. The GT500 was a bad a** car though. Gotta love Elanore :)