Superman Returns thoughts (Merged) *Spoilers*

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by ambushbug74, Jun 27, 2006.

1. ambushbug74

ambushbug74 Stroke me, Stroke me! TFW2005 Supporter

I just got back from seeing an advanced showing of Superman Returns. Well, I gotta say I did like it, but there were some slight problems. I really don't want to get to much into it as I don't want to spoil anything. Of course there are many references to the old movies and some comic book nods as well. Routh did a pretty good job in the role, better then I expected. The only complaint I have with him is that he didn't seem as "dopey" acting as Kent. Pretty good movie over all, but I gotta say I prefered Batman Begins a little better. Hope everyone has fun at the flick.

2. OmegaSaber

OmegaSaber Your buttcheeks is warm

Ebay:
    Just saw Superman Returns...spoilers within

Just got back from an early screening of Superman Returns. Honestly I had really low expectations for the movie and it somewhat exceeded those.

As far as Brandon Routh as Superman, it totally works. I thought the pics of him online and stuff made him look ridiculous but once you see him in action it's really not bad.

The action scenes were great and I thought they had done a really good job on the effects.

My problems really lie with the fact that it felt a lot like the old movies. Which if you liked those, you'll probably have no problem with it. But to me the way they portrayed Luthor just wasn't very interesting or intimidating. He comes off very goofy, and Kevin Spacey over does it at points. He just doesn't come off as someone Superman should worry about. Unlike say the Luthor from Superman: TAS or Justice League who's a cold, criminal mastermind who's rarely if ever over the top.

On that same note Superman seems dumbed down to me. He charges into stuff without thinking and while he may not be known as the smartest superhero, he usually thinks things through a bit.

And then the big one, his relationship with Lois. He's been gone for 5 years and she likes to play off like she's over it. Well it's obvious she's not, and he obviously still wants her. Now here's where my biggest problem lies...

*********************BIG SPOILER************************

here it comes

We find out her child is actually Superman's, and he has super powers.

That opens a whole big can of worms that in the end I don't think was necessary, a child at all that is.

In the end if you like the old movies you'll probably not mind this one as much as I did. I thought it was a bit long and really drug along at points. But if you're at least somewhat interested I'd give it a watch, I definately won't be seeing it in theatres again though. On a scale of 1-10 I'd probably give it a 6.5 or 7.

3. ambushbug74

If you were to look down a little you woulda seen my post on the same thing. I didn't really want to give anything away as I didn't want to ruin the film for anyone. Maybe make to spoiler invisible or something to help.

4. Chaos Muffin

Chaos Muffin Misadventure Veteran

I just hope there's alot of action and not alot of stupid romance.

5. Chaos Muffin

Yep. Too be fair, ambushbug had the first one in.
    If they close this thread you can always just link your post (with invisible spoilers) to ambush's thread.

:hookday 

6. ambushbug74

Remember in Superman 1, when they went flying off when Supes gave Lois the interview? There is a little of that, which even my wife found to be boring. There is some good action though, I would hope the sequal would have a character that Superman can really tear into, like the Phantom Zone criminals, or The Nuclear Man(just not as lame).

7. Chaos Muffin

Yeah, was thinking this was pretty much the foundation movie for the rest. So guess there's alot of setting up.
    But , since we got our new Superman movie finally, seems like they would've done more with it

Did it feel like they're trying to go the same route as Batman Begins?
    Or does it feel like they're trying to get the women in the theaters as much as the guys with the drama stuff?

Going to try and see it tomorrow.
    I want to ask if there's any Cristopher Reeve nods in it, but it would proably spoil other members.

8. Predaking

Predaking Well-Known Member

I read that first 2/3 of the movie is pretty good but last 1/3 feels slow and is quite boring. Any truth to that?

9. ambushbug74

Well, they aren't really going the Batman Begins route on this one really. It seems like just a set-up movie for the inevitable sequals. As for the romance, it's not that bad in it, but it is there. I don't think that alone would bring the women in to see it. I was actaully looking around for nods to Christopher Reeves, but didn't really see anything, although when they show the interior of Mrs. Kent's house there is a framed picture of Glenn Ford on the mantle (since he played the father in the first film). As for comic book nods, the experimental shuttle they show looks kinda like the one shown in John Byrne's Man of Steel #1 from back in 86.

Kinda, I really wouldn't say boring, but it was a bit slow and kinda left you wanting them to do more then they did.

10. Shin-Gouki

Shin-Gouki Rebuilding Veteran

News Credits:
    Originally: Huntington Beach, CA, Now: Cincinnati
    I'm taking my kids to see it this weekend

11. ambushbug74

Cool, I think kids will really like this film, I just hope I don't spoil anything for anyone else. All in all, I will say it is a good movie and I think people will like it.

12. KA

KA PENIS GOES WHERE?!!

News Credits:
    i have to confess i loved how reeves was dopey as clark than all suave as supes.

but i can see with audience these days it would not work. man those 80s movies were hella fun.

ive been seeing the kiddie supe suits at the dept store. sho' brings back memories for hijacking em while theyre still drying in the yard. yay rashes!

13. Dark_Convoy

Dark_Convoy Old Bastard Veteran

Superman dosn't act all emo in this does he?

14. OmegaSaber

Ebay:
    Whoops, sorry, when I looked it wasn't there. In the middle of typing the post I went and grabbed a snack so by the time I was done he had posted. Mods can close this if you please, I can just link it in his.

15. OmegaSaber

Ebay:
    Sorry about the other topic Ambushbug, yours wasn't there when I started on mine.

But if anyone's interested you can read my thoughts WITH SPOILERS here: http://www.tfw2005.com/boards/showthread.php?t=101901

And in my opinion Batman Begins blows this out of the water. It was a noble effort though.

16. shifty02

shifty02 Greetings Programs

I saw the movie tonight and it just freakin ROCKED!!!!

The actor that plays Clark/Supes (forgot his name) is SOOO much like Chris Reeves it's just scary!

Also I saw the Spiderman 3 teaser trailer that was attached to it too.

-Shifty

17. Mr. Jiggles

Mr. Jiggles loves your mother.

Doesn't matter if it sucks. Still got Smallville.

18. Wing alpha

Wing alpha <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and

spider-man.....teaser......

must resist

supes must be watch on dvd......

19. ambushbug74

Lucky Bastich! There were no trailers at the screening I saw. And D_C, Supes is not emo at all, except for the darker clothes.

S'okay, I shouldn't have posted it to sound like a dick, I hate it when non-mods tell people where to post their threads and here I pretty much did the same.

20. Superman_Alpha

Superman_Alpha TF: Animated FTW!!!

Superman: the Movie is still the best comic book movie ever made, so if this even comes close to that film, it's going to be an amazing movie.