Superman Remakes that Didn't

Discussion in 'Movies and Television' started by Tigertrack, Oct 9, 2010.

1. Tigertrack

Tigertrack Back In The Game!

Just read this on AOL news and thought it was interesting. I didn't know half of them.

Superman Remakes

2. Jochimus

Jochimus Well-Known Member

Most of these I've known about. Incidentally, I do remember back when WIZARD was still doing its "Casting Call" column and Kevin Smith actually contributed his intended Superman cast. I don't have that issue anymore, though; that was ages ago.

For more details, there's a fairly long post that's been circulating around the 'net on several websites for quite a few years now: http://www.cohguru.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3889. I don't think anybody's quite sure who the original author was, but a lot of it does correlate with what can be found in books like The Greatest Sci-Fi Movies Never Made or Superman vs. Hollywood. Of course, they're ALL pretty much biased in their own viewpoints, but the real nitty-gritty of each of those productions can be gathered from them.

3. Tekkaman Blade

Tekkaman Blade Professor of Animation

News Credits:
    i made a thread about this awhile back

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 12, 2016
  4. Paladin

Paladin Have Zord, Will Travel

News Credits:
    Detroit- It's a shithole full of people who steal
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    And any one of those would've been more entertaining than "Superman Returns."

5. Tekkaman Blade

News Credits:
    No they wouldn't...most of the plots are as bad as Batman and Robin.

6. UnicronFTW

UnicronFTW Don't blink.

News Credits:
    Sorry sir, but that isn't possible.

7. Tekkaman Blade

News Credits:
    'Superman Reborn' went through several drafts, with the basic story of Superman dying at the hands of alien monster Doomsday, but not before passing on his reincarnated form to Lois Lane, who becomes pregnant via immaculate conception. The baby ages super-fast into an adult super-hero and saves the day.

8. exclusacon

exclusacon Expert with the Scopes!

News Credits:
    Those movies sounds terrible! And this jon peters dude, is he still in hollywood?
    Neil Diamond? Dustin Hoffman? Al Pacino?( scarface,drug sniffing superhero)

9. mineraljane

mineraljane Gravity Hugger

News Credits:
    "Finding a director [for Superman] was equally difficult. Sam Peckinpah was in the running to direct, until he produced a gun during a meeting with producers."

I would expect nothing less from Sam Peckinpah.

10. Digilaut

Digilaut My name is Drift.

News Credits:
    I like Superman Returns :(  :( 

I could easily see why a Superman fan would hate it..but I thought it was a really charming movie in a summer filled with craptacular over the top blockbuster shit...

11. Dolza_Khyron

Dolza_Khyron Well-Known Member

superman returns first half of the film was really good, second half, was just first movie all over again lol

12. Jochimus

Jochimus Well-Known Member

The biggest problem IMO with these pitches is that the people responsible did everything they could to take Superman as far away from what's made him an iconic character to start with as possible, whereas Singer's problem was that he just wanted Superman to stay in the same place he was thirty years ago, and even he fumbled that ball (and by fumbling, I'm not talking about the kid...DC's covered that base, and in better fashion, in plenty of published stories in and out of continuity: I mean if you're gonna ignore Superman III and IV in the continuity, you DON'T come back twenty-some years after an epic city-wide brawl with General Zod and his underlings by giving us another one of Luthor's land schemes...you just don't. Jor-El mentioned 28 known galaxies - in this CGI-laden era of 2006, Singer, here's an idea: USE THEM!!! So Superman's been away for five years...suppose something followed him back to Earth? Something not so nice? [Skull-shaped spaceship optional]). To me it's a case of going too far in one direction for so many years, and then not going far enough in the other when the time came.

I wouldn't go so far as to say SR is a bad movie, but it just dropped the ball in a lot of ways, even as a sequel to Donner's vision ('vague continuity' my butt). I could say the same for all the Superman movies that DIDN'T get made, frankly...and really, I think SR was essentially an overreaction to the style-over-substance mentality of those unmade films.

13. exclusacon

exclusacon Expert with the Scopes!

News Credits:

True....
    SR, was ok @ best...I mean superman hasn't fought anybody since general zod and them,(nuclear man does not count)...I always found it weird that lex being human,could defeat superman, an alien....with Chris Nolan and David Goyer involve, hopefully for a well done movie...

14. Dran0n

Dran0n Junk male

News Credits:
    I'm pretty enthused about the new Superman. My two favorite people in the super-hero movie business are coming together.