Superman Reboot confirmed by the WB

Discussion in 'Movies and Television' started by seeker311, Aug 22, 2008.

1. seeker311

seeker311 The Collector

News Credits:
    Superman Reboot Confirmed by Warner Bros.

2. MegaPrime33

MegaPrime33 Follow me @NerdActivist TFW2005 Supporter

I actually think this is a good idea. I never really liked Superman Returns, or Brandon Routh or however you spell it. Superman deserves a kick ass film, and SR didn't cut it.

3. Deefuzz

Deefuzz Beard On! Beardmaster! Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Thank god. That movie was terrible.

Hopefully they get a clue when it comes to writing the script and casting the movie this time around.

4. Boggs6ft7

Boggs6ft7 TFW2005 Supporter

When he was Superman and doing Superman stuff, I thought the movie was okay.

The rest I hated.... stupid deadbeat dad story.

5. Aberration

Aberration Templar Rodimus

News Credits:
    I'm very happy to hear this, I was not a fan of Superman Returns. I'd love to see a kickass Superman movie that takes its cues from the comics instead of a 30-year old adaptation (which I still love, btw).

I just hope that they don't try to do "Superman Begins" and give us the origin story again. I think it's pretty well-known at this point, and I just don't think it's as compelling as Batman's.

6. Andersonh1

Andersonh1 Man, I've been here a LONG time Veteran

Ebay:
    That's a shame. I really enjoyed Superman Returns, and appreciated the fact that it was a semi-sequel to I and II. And the original movie told the origin story so well (at least with the first half) that I'm not sure they will better it.

I suspect that Superman Returns didn't make as much as they had hoped it would, so the studio is hoping a clean reboot will appeal more. Kind of like starting over with a new first issue, eh? :) 

7. Drake

Drake Smooth Is Smooth Baby

Please hide this news from Nic Cage. That is all.

8. Random Autobot

Random Autobot Soviet Kanukistani

While I think a reboot was the direction they should have gone in the first place, "Superman" should not be a dark film... ever. Superman is meant to inspire hope in humanity, to explore how great we can be. What they need to is to make the character interesting. Explore what it feels like to be burdened with the idea that you are hear to try and save an entire species, to make them better than they are. Superman is a boring character if not written properly, and "Returns" exposed that flaw deeply.

Hire Mark Millar, or Grant Morrisson to either write the screenplay, or work VERY closely with the writers. My understanding is that Millar has already developed a reboot style treatment.

Get a director who excels at filming epic, widescreen scenes. Michael Mann would be my first choice, or perhaps Ridley Scott. Hell, James Cameron could probably do one amazing Superman film.

Lex Luthor should be the cold, calculating criminal from the animated series, not the cackling buffoon that Gene Hackman gave us. It was a great interpretation, but there's no need to do it again. They finally gave us a proper Joker in TDK, give us a proper Lex Luthor next.

Also, give Superman a secodary villain that he can really throw down with. For a first film, Metallo would make sense, as the character could easily spawn from a Lexcorp project.

In future sequels, give us Brainiac, and Darkseid.

9. Scrapper6

Scrapper6 Lord of Constructicons

That just sucks, I mean seriously how many times do they need to do something like that? I felt Superman Returns was a very faithful relaunch and a wonderful film. That the company itself belittles Singer's work considering he had agreed to do a follow up if I'm not mistaken, but I could be wrong, has got to feel like a slap to the face to the guy. First he loses out on the X-Men franchise due to impatience and now look at what's happening.

In all honesty I think rebooting Superman is an impossible task in its own right. Sure Smallville has managed it on the small screen, but comparing Smallville to the original movies is utterly ridiculous. Who are they going to get to replace Routh? I felt he managed the role quite well compared to Reeve and now they've got to recast the part. Might I ask who out there actually has the talent to play Superman? It's not as easy as Batman or even Green Lanturn.

If they wanted to reboot the Superman franchise after Returns made such an impact on the moviegoing public then why did they even ok the thing in the first place? UGH. I hate remakes for remakes sake and in a way any reboot is going to be more like a remake then anything else that's for damn sure. Oh well, I'll probably sit through whatever they pull out of their collective asses anyway because hey it's a great escape from the doldrums that are real life, but seriously how could Superman Returns have been such a flop that the execs decided to forget it compelty I seem to recall it doing quite well at the box office. They can't all be Batman Begins or The Dark Knight after all.

10. Switchblade

Switchblade Just a raggedy man

News Credits:
    I actually liked Superman Returns, but I still think this is a good idea. The movie may have turned out okay (although the kid was a terrible idea), but making it a sequel to the first two Christopher Reeve movies, over 25 years later, wasn't a good idea. They were good films, but following them limited where the new movie could take the story. A Batman Begins-esque fresh start is exactly what this franchise needs, even if it will require another retelling of his origin.

I do hope they replace Routh, too. He did well enough, but he just didn't have the charisma to pull off a really likable Superman.

11. Takara_destron

Takara_destron Mainly lurking these days

Ebay:
    Good news, IMO Superman Returns sucked badly.

And yes, Superman should in no way be a dark film.

12. Jux

Jux Please, call me Steve. Veteran

Well said.

13. Vangelus

Vangelus Long Live the New Flesh Moderator Content Contributor

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I think the hate towards Returns is overblown, but I'm interested to see where this goes.

Also agreeing with Random's points about Superman not being dark, and the need for proper renditions of his villains.

14. Spiderus Prime

Spiderus Prime TFW Spongebob since 2007

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube:
    Who needs this guy as a villain

[​IMG].

15. Batman

Batman The Dark Knight TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Good news, Superman Returns was awful.

16. Tekkaman Blade

Tekkaman Blade Professor of Animation

News Credits:
    Most of the casting in Returns was good, but there wasn't a proper bad guy to fight. If he had a proper opponent like Darkseid, Brainiac, Luthor in battle armor,Zod,and Mongul come to mind. People want a Hulk level fight with Superman.

17. Jeremy.B

Jeremy.B Formerly Leader Blackout TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    ^^This^^

Superman is a hero, a true hero story. Batman is the dark one.

I am amazed to see I am one of the few who LOVED Superman Returns, and I am somewhat dissappointed by this news. I really, really like Routh as Superman. And the modern day setting with 50s styling was raw. At least we got that movie.

Not that I am hating on a new movie. Superman has always been my favorite fiction, and someone would have to work hard, very, very hard to screw that up.

18. Spider Striker

Spider Striker ThisGuyWithTheYellowCap

This is my biggest concern with a reboot and probably why I liked Returns as much as I did. [Everyone, comic fan or Joe Everyman, knows Superman's origin. We don't need to see it again. I was so glad when "Returns" didn't waste our time with it.

19. Wreckie

Wreckie Holder of the Discomatrix

Ebay:
    Exactly.

As one of the three people in the world who apparently liked "Returns" I can understand why other people didn't. Brian Singer delivered something which was very close in tone and pace to Richard Donner's movies. The critics liked it in general (it's still rating 77% fresh at rottentomatoes.com) and for once, I agreed with them. Unfortunately, while it had excellent production values, good dialogue and good characterisation, it wasn't what the action-hungry public was expecting. Not enough explosions, on-screen deaths or fight scenes, I'm guessing.

I'm disappointed I won't get to see Singer's follow-up, but a total reboot has promise even if we do have to sit through another Kent farm meteor crash. It's a golden opportunity to lose those stupid underpants, for one thing.

20. Witwicky Camaro

Witwicky Camaro Sabbatical Is Required

News Credits:
    Damn. Bryan Signer can't when with his Superhero movies can he? I feel bad for the guy. I know Superman Returns wasn't the greatest movie (it was rather boring, I didn't like Kate Bosworth as Lois Lane, Brandon Routh could've been a litle more animated, and yes, a little action and a better villian probably would've helped the movie greatly), a lot of things could've been grealty improved upon (hence why I thought they Greenlighted the sequel "Man of Steel") but to do a Reboot this soon is just ill-planned.