Superman lives the movie we almost got.(Thank god we didn't)

Discussion in 'Movies and Television' started by Tekkaman Blade, Jul 3, 2009.

1. Tekkaman Blade

Tekkaman Blade Professor of Animation

News Credits:
    I laugh whenever I read about it, it's sad to think though that it almost happened and the lost so much money in contacts and pre-production. Superman Returns was much better than what this would have been.

http://www.supermansupersite.com/supermanlives.html
    Superman (film series) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    SUPERMAN LIVES' Brainiac Revealed - Mania.com
    http://www.ociocritico.com/oc/blogs/cine/wp-content/images/tim-burton-superman.jpg
    http://paunchstevenson.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/07/nicholas-cage-superman.jpg

2. Cheetatron

Cheetatron Eh

black costume is nice everything else id just a clusterfuck of ideas

3. AnimatedFan

AnimatedFan Banned

Ugh. They were seriously considering that? Say what you want about Returns being boring and whatnot, but it's infinitely better than that trash they were hoping to peddle.

4. Hiraga

Hiraga BILL BILL BILL BILL BILL

News Credits:
    Burton could never direct something as cheerful and lively as Superman. He made Batman work, but he could NOT make a true Superman movie. And one look at that concept art proves why.

5. Dolza_Khyron

Dolza_Khyron Well-Known Member

superman? or super steel borg man? :lol 

6. Jochimus

Jochimus Well-Known Member

The Brainiac image is the only new one I've seen from "Super-Batman Undead"...er, sorry, "Superman Lives". Everything else I've seen.

Still, I have to concede that, as much a total train wreck as this movie would have been in comparison to "Returns", I think someone with a real sense of both creativity AND conviction to the source material could actually recycle a lot of those unused concepts for a new Superman film franchise - they just wouldn't be used the way the artists, or Burton and Peters, for that matter, intended them; I mean, WB bought and paid for this nonsense already, they may as well get SOME use out of it. For example, yeah, that FrankenKent would be a pretty poor excuse for an "updated" version of Superman's look. On the other hand, it might pass for a decent Bizarro.

There's other concept art from Burton's Superman, as well as Abrams' and McG's intended Superman films, that can be found online also. Some other sites:
    http://www.supermanhomepage.com/images/gallery/gallery.php?topic=superman-returns12
    http://www.bamkapow.com/gallery.phtml?gk=9
    http://gammillustrations.bizland.com/monsterart/supelives.htm
    http://dailyplanet.stopklatka.pl/html/galeria/rolfmohr.htm
    Some of these concepts aren't too bad, actually...McG certainly got closer to anything resembling the classic Superman suit than Burton did. And slap that spike-chinned 'Killer From Outer Space' head on the 'Monstrosity' design on Kerry Gamill's page and that might actually make a reasonable Doomsday.

Like I said, just throw out all those cruddy scripts and have one written by someone who will actually take the time to, y'know, READ a Superman comic or two, and it shouldn't be hard to figure out what design could work where.

7. Tekkaman Blade

News Credits:
    There used to be a huge 20 page thread on a web board that went into micro detail all the crazyness. But it got taken down, I believe the author published a book on it. All the information I linked to is the condensed version. The full version is even worse. It really was crazy some of the things they wanted. At one point Hulk Hogan was going to play Doomsday, but quit when the director told him to gain weight as he wanted a chunky doomsday. Kevin Smith got screwed royally and was almost driven crazy. That was just the first version before Tim Burton came on board. Burton wanted a superbatman with a superman mobile and no flight, but a jetpack. And this doesn't begin to cover all the crazy detail. While reading that you will believe that many of these people have lost their minds and have no idea what superman is about. It was a really bad take on an american icon. It also showed that the Salkinds, who did the Reeve movies were ratbastards.

Edit: Found the book.
    http://www.amazon.com/Superman-vs-H...=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1246717003&sr=8-3

8. rodster6

rodster6 Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    I thought alot of the ideas and designs looked pretty good if they were handled right. I would have loved to have seen a Tim Burton Superman film though not with a Superman who cant fly and drives a supermobil though!
    Id love to see Braniac and Doomsday in the next Superman film. Couldnt stand Superman returns.

9. Jochimus

This the one? Octopus Overlords • View topic - The history of Superman V. I've seen the same thread posted on several sites, actually.

Have the book, actually. :wink:  In fact, there's a couple details in that post that aren't in the book, too, thorough as the latter is.

10. Tekkaman Blade

News Credits:
    That was a small portion of it, but it went into more detail and had info on the reeve movies as well.

11. rattrap007

rattrap007 Insert witty comment here TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Isn't this the one Kevin Smith talked about and the dude with the obsession about Supes fighting a giant spider?

12. Dolza_Khyron

Dolza_Khyron Well-Known Member

yup, and that guy got his spider in, Wild Wild west... :lol 

13. planetjacker

planetjacker Critters burn real good. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Sounds like it.

For anyone who hasn't seen it yet. Here is the youtube of the clip from the dvd
    YouTube - Kevin Smith about talk Superman

Wow I didn't realize it would embed.

14. FriskyPinewood

FriskyPinewood Well-Known Member

LOL! Kevin is the man!

15. cagliostro

cagliostro Victi Vincimus

Fixed it for ya.:D  ;) 

16. Jochimus

Yeah, I've read one of Smith's drafts...he definitely deserves credit for trying to rein in Peters' madness and trying to make the intended film more respectful to Superman and DC lore - the Snare Beast being from Thanagar (Hawkman's homeworld), an early scene of Superman fighting Deadshot and Black Manta in Corto Maltese, an S:TAS-influenced opening on Krypton with Brainiac being responsible for Krypton's destruction, Brainiac first being led to Earth after receiving a transmission from Luthor that is explicitly mentioned in the script as coming from "Sector 2814" a la Green Lantern - but in the end you could tell the Hairdresser From The Streets had too swollen an influence over it for it to work cohesively.

And of course, WB would only be too happy to kick Smith to the curb in favor of another Man Who Gave Them Batman *cha-ching*$$$*, despite the fact that Tim Burton has gone on record taking a lot of pride in the fact that he's never read comic books; in fact, he personally instructed all those designers to stay as far away from the comics as possible, and they basically sucked up to him at every turn. I know I probably shouldn't, but I get a lot of amusement out of the fact that, beginning with Superman III, Warner Brothers did everything conceivable to disavow the source material from which the character first emerged and became the icon that he is, and the end result of their conviction to straying from Superman's roots has been failed sequels and a whole mess of aborted films. And I give the brunt of the blame to WB itself: Ilya Salkind, for as much a jerk as he's been made out to be (and, I'm sure, pretty justly), at least TRIED to give us Brainiac for "Superman III", instead of a watered-down generic supercomputer designed on table napkins by a sorely-misplaced comedian (who, BTW, was only cast in the film because someone at WB saw him gushing about the first two Superman movies on "The Tonight Show"), and WB shot him down. He tried again for "Supergirl" and they nixed it again.

Furthermore, the fact that the studio has announced its intentions to make future DC movies "as dark as the characters will allow" to me signals that things aren't going to get much better for the Superman franchise anytime soon. The lackluster performance of "Superman Returns" has probably convinced the execs that Peters may have been right all along, and that an extreme-to-the-point-of-mutilation revamp may be in order; certainly the way he turned right around and kissed up about Singer's sequel to Donner's film after so many years of pushing bizarre pitches (including Abrams' where Krypton doesn't blow up and Lex is Kryptonian) - and indeed earlier inferring to Smith that the Donner film was basically complete crap - is a little hard to accept as being a sincere change of heart.

17. MegaPrime33

MegaPrime33 Follow me @NerdActivist TFW2005 Supporter

I don't understand how you can do a reboot of a movie, and yet still have the same actor play the lead.

18. Drake

Drake Smooth Is Smooth Baby

Jon Peters needs some kind of serious meds. Watch An Evening With Kevin Smith and Kevin talks about Jon's madness in detail. IE he wanted Superman to fight a giant robot spider for no reason whatsoever. Guess what that giant robot spider showed up in Wild Wild West on which Jon Peters was a producer.

19. cambaprecoz

cambaprecoz Well-Known Member

Man, when are we gonna get a Superman film like the original?
    Oh right, never because movie execs are all jumping aboard The Dark Knights "Dark and Gritty" style.

20. Lord Of Tetris

Lord Of Tetris Well-Known Member

As much as I hate to admit it, Superman vs a giant spider would have been a better finale to Superman Returns.