Superman II: The Donner Cut

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Gears, Nov 28, 2006.

1. Gears

Gears buh-buh-body ya Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Did anyone buy the Donner Cut of Superman II? I already own the original and I was wondering if the Donner cut has enough extras to warrant a purchase? Thanks.

2. rattrap007

rattrap007 Insert witty comment here TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I got the Ultimate set today. Been at work all day. Watching house. Won't be able to see it till later tomorrow.

3. Venksta

Venksta Render Project Creations TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I'm interested in getting this DVD. So does anyone know if the cut makes the movie look like a different film? Or just different scenes, same story?

4. KA

KA PENIS GOES WHERE?!!

News Credits:
    why do i read the title and think of supes in a different hairdo?

5. misterd

misterd Well-Known Member

I'll be getting the set soon. I'd pay $20 for the Superman, Donner Cut and Superman Returns DVDs on their own. Add in the documentary and the Fleisher cartoons, and it totally justifies the $70 price tag.

As for the Donner Cut itself I've heard mixed things. Basically, it won't be as polished as, say, Gilliam's Brazil or Jackson's extended LOTR. Too much time has passed, too much material was lost, and too much was never even filmed. A big change is the ending of the film -

SPOILER WARNING!

-which is the same as the end of Superman I - flying around the world to reverse time. It was always planned to be the end of SII, and ended up being used at the end for SI because they were stuck for an ending. Then Donner was fired before a NEW ending could be created.

END SPOILER!

So basically this is not something that fits nicely into the existing films. More than anything its a film based on an earlier, unfinished draft of Superman II. So it has significance if you're interested in seeing that, much as Star Wars fans might be interested in seeing Star Wars recut to resember the original Journal of the Whills. Since the Superman films are very dear to me and my childhood (not quite in the Star Wars/Star Trek category, but maybe on par with Bond and Indy) so this is definately something I'd like to watch. If you're like me, at least give it a rental. But if you're not a fan of the film or are looking for something dramatically better, you might be better off skipping it.

6. jourdo

jourdo TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    I thought I heard there were different scenes and the ending is basically that of Superman I. I do want to pick this up, but I am holding off until I hear some feedback on it.

**EDIT**

Damn you misterd... I was too slow with the typing.

7. Rama Sha

Rama Sha Tosche Station Pimp

Ebay:
    Is it being sold seperately from the box set? Cause I already own Superman 1 and 2 on DVD and don't really want to shell out for those again to see one film.

8. misterd

misterd Well-Known Member

Yes it is. For the record, the new DVDs sor SI and SII are substantial upgrades to the originals.

9. Rama Sha

Rama Sha Tosche Station Pimp

Ebay:
    Cool thanks.

and Yeah I'm sure they are..but only Star Wars seems to be able to get me to lay down big bucks for disc with extra content. I'm content with what I have now.

10. Lumpy

Lumpy Taylor Swift Actionmaster Super Mod

News Credits:
    i hate superman, just think hes worthless, but i really want this set...cuz im a sucker for comic books stuff....and i used to love watching 1 and 2 with my dad back in the day.....but ill wait til the price drops to like 30 or 40 then ask for it as a gift....

11. MegaPrime33

MegaPrime33 Follow me @NerdActivist TFW2005 Supporter

I'll hopefully be getting the ultimate set for x-mas. I only have supe 1 on dvd so I won't be loosing out that much.

12. flamepanther

flamepanther Interested, but not really

You're content with your content? Awesome.

13. Fairy Princess

Fairy Princess Banned

I bought SII: Donner Cut, Superman Returns (I like it) 2 disk set and Clerks II yesterday. Still need to find a place with a decent price on Superman the Movie (The 4 disk set).

14. Prowl2000

Prowl2000 Keep it sealed TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    I'll try to do this without any spoilers. But if you haven't seen Superman 2, the original version, sorry, spoilers may be in this.

I wanted it last night and finished it this morning. I liked it a lot better than the original. You get a stronger connection between the first two movies as the events from the first tie-in with this version. Jor-el is in this version quiet a lot and it adds a nice storyline to the movie. If you're a fan of the movies then you'll like this as its almost like seeing a different movie.

15. TSFC

TSFC Banned

I bought it last night and must say that Donner's cut is a hell of a lot better and sensible than Lester's.

Problem is, nostalgia kicks in, and remember the scenes from Lester's version and you do notice that they're missing from this cut of the film.

....and that's where the good news comes in. There's still a tiny bit of camp to it, but the villains are much, much, much more lethal. No cellophane "S" (Still...WTF was that? Seriously?) etc.

The way this is cut and edited, it feels more concise and directly to the point. Not bloated, overblown, or drawn out just to fill a time requirement.

Plus the footage never before seen is fantastic, especially the opening and ending.

I recommend it, and am glad that I bought it. Well worth the $19.44 I paid at Wal-Mart. (Though I probably could've found it cheaper perhaps.)

Not a lot of special features though, pretty minimal actually.

16. Blue Meanie

Blue Meanie Hello from the Gutter

So so so much better. The campy-ness is gone. It is a more serious movie like The Movie and S: returns. With what he had to work with it was phenominal. Characters are so much more fleshed out, Lois Lane doesn't seem like a ditz anymore, only lex has comic value. The added scenes with Brando, his powers being taken away, are greatly improved. Also, it looks like Superman Returns was based off the original script, because the re-edit answers some questions that Returns seemed to screw up like, how is it Supes kid has powers, and why was the fortress of solitude a charred husk. It just works, great. Fixed everything I hated about the Supes 2 originally. Considering he couldn't do re-shoots and it is 30 years later, it was fantastic.

17. Fairy Princess

Fairy Princess Banned

My Supes Movie now go: Superman, SupermAn II:D C and Superman Returns. The other two are dead to me. (Well Superman III works as a cute Parody for comedic value alone)

18. Pravus Prime

Pravus Prime Sorcerer

News Credits:
    You include Superman Returns? Wow... I honestly think that Superman IV was far better then Superman Returns, and the less said about III the better. Seriously, I thought Returns was a train wreck of a movie.

19. Blue Meanie

Blue Meanie Hello from the Gutter

I thought it was good. There were definitely some things I really didn't care for, but I liked it overall.

20. TSFC

TSFC Banned

Superman: The Movie, Superman II: The Adventure Continues (The Richard Donner Cut), and Superman: Returns are the storyline I'll stick with. I can't wait to see Superman: The Man Of Steel in 2009.