Superman Doomsday DVD

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by oddobot, Sep 14, 2007.

1. Boardwise

Boardwise There are no strings on me Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    We don't need two threads about this DVD.
    Merged both of them.

2. oddobot

oddobot carpe diem all diem long

Ebay:
    Ok first off, no Walmart exclusive per say, but it does have a cd-rom comic book. Now for a quick before I go to work review:

Overall I give it a b+. They nailed the Doomsday/Supes fight, really violent. Adam Baldwin SUCKS as Superman, and James Marsters does a good Luthor, but he's no Clancy Brown. Voice acting aside, it's a solid buy. They kinda botched the whole scope of the return of Superman(trust me, you'll see what I mean) but these minor issues aside, this is a great movie, even had a few unexpected swears in it, and it had the neccesary emotional heft too. I teared up when Big Blue died back in the day, and this movie made me do it again. Hell my wife een cried, and she's hardcore.

Well guys and gals, i'm off to work, hope this review is at least semi-helpful in helping you buy or not buy, but hey we're all blessed with free will, so some of you will like the movie and surely enough, some won't, but I did :D 

ODD

3. rattrap007

rattrap007 One meme mutha f’er TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Target just has a sucky Doomsday trading card...

4. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Superman Doomsday Out today.

Just picked my copy up, and I'm at work :(  Talk about a low blow. If you get it at Bestbuy you get a Justice League New Fronties Paperback comic.

5. bugmenot

bugmenot Banned

I haven't opened it yet, but it says "Chapers 1 & 2" on the cover.

Anyone got a pic of the Circuit City Poster?

6. Grimlock_13

Grimlock_13 Currently facepalming at your post

News Credits:
    I was never a big Superman fan but this was a huge deal when I collected comic books in the early-mid 90's. I picked it up this morning at Target and I'll watch it tonight.

7. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Sorry for starting a new thread on Supes. I'm being such a jerk today. I need to be punished.

8. rattrap007

rattrap007 One meme mutha f’er TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    The movie is ok. It is a different look to it.. Which kinda sucks. The VA acting is terrible. What the hell was wrong with Tim Daley and Clancy Brown and Lois Animated VA? These new ones suck. Also Supes looks like he'd been hit upside the head with the ugly stick. Lex looked like an anorexic alien. Doomsday was decent and the over all story was fine. Just feel it would have been better if they kept the JLU/SAS look and VAs..

9. Tekkaman Blade

Tekkaman Blade Professor of Animation

News Credits:
    It was pretty good. Not a direct copy of the story in anyway, but the fights were good and the over all animation was well done. For those of you that do not know, these DC direct to dvd movies are the equivelent of the marvel ones. They have no connection to the DC animaited universe. The art style on each one will change as will the voice actors. Next up is New Frontier, followed by the Judas Contract(Teen Titans), then two Batman DTDVD movies based off the batman Begins movies(suposedly they happen between Begins and Dark Knight.) Then they are going to do identity crisis.

10. Edge

Edge weapon of destruction

I guess I'm in the minority here, I quite enjoyed the dvd

One thing is clear this is defiantly not DCAU, the fights were really impressive and brutal as well. Luthor was really cold and evil and I don't think Brown would of worked with this version of him. He's sort of a quiet mad scientist. That dude who you didn't expect to do the things he's done. And Baldwin did ok not the voice I picture with Superman but it was good for what it was.

Also the extras were pretty cool the documentary was interesting behind the scenes on the comic book. I've yet to listen to the commentary though

I was young when the story came out so I can't attest to its accuracy as I have yet to read it. But if you can get past the fact this is not gonna be the new standard for DC characters in the animated media and enjoy it for what it is. Then your in for a good treat.

Also I can confirm the new frontier comic is only the first two chapters. I think its more or less to wet your pallet for the next release

11. DrSpengler

DrSpengler The Real Ghostbuster

My review.

I enjoyed it for the most part. Thought they condensed the Death and Return of Superman story arcs into 75 minutes as best they could. I echo the complaints with the cast, though I DID like John DiMaggio as the Toyman.

Overall, I gave it a B-.

12. Gears

Gears buh-buh-body ya Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    What is on the CD-ROM comic book? Do all the stores come with this? Crap I might need to return my Bestbuy one.

13. Boggs6ft7

Boggs6ft7 TFW2005 Supporter

I watched it this afternoon.

I enjoyed it, the art on supes face took some getting used to because I was so used to the way Timm drew him. The action was amazing, really brutal. I didn't have a problem with the voice actors and I understand why they didn't use the DC animated universe, they didn't want any connection to be there. The movie had to stand on its own.l

While it would have been fun to see the other Supermen like in the original story, I did like this adaptation.

Other DC Movies I would like to see in animated form:
    Superman: Red Son
    Dark Knight Returns
    Batman: Year One
    Long Halloween
    Dark Victory

Those last three could be a cool trilogy. I think Sales artwork would look cool animated. I would also like to see a trilogy of Green Lantern movies, but that is just dreaming.

14. Nerroth

Nerroth Alea iacta est.

News Credits:
    YES!

I would love - love - to see that one done!

I'm not a big DC or Marvel fan, but Red Son is a brilliant story, that deserves to be re-told.

Gary

15. Tekkaman Blade

News Credits:

There is a rumor that they are looking at doing long Halloween or Hush. If they did the long halloween expect the art to look like tim sale.

16. Edge

Edge weapon of destruction

I'd bet money they would more likely do hush, I got no reasoning why just a gut feeling.

17. Dark_Convoy

Dark_Convoy Old Bastard Veteran

The next animated movies they are doing are "Justice League: The New Frontier" and "Teen Titans: The Judas Contract"

18. Tekkaman Blade

News Credits:
    read my post on page 3

19. wolfnfox

wolfnfox Well-Known Member

Just finished watching it and aside from a rather quick pace it was good. An overall good effort to contain such a large story into 75 minutes.

As for other stories to get the DVD treatment.

Justice Society Returns
    Justice Society: Black Reign
    Flash: The Return of Barry Allen
    Flash: Blitz

I'm a big Justice Society fan and would love to see them finally get some respect in the animated/live Action universe.

Also the Flash Blitz would be a good choice since it has a very deep story involving Wally's family and an incredible Flash/Zoom battle, though Return of Barry Allen would be a better choice for a Flash Film since it goes into the methos more.

20. Scantron

Scantron Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Just finished the film and very impressed with it, overall. Comments (spoilers, probably):

- Excellent animation and combat scenes.
    - I can't get used to the cheek bones on Superman, but liked the other character designs.
    - I thought most of the voice cast did a good job (especially Marsters as Luthor), except for Anne Heche, who was terrible. Lois had to carry a lot of the story and Heche's voice rarely conveyed the correct emotions the character was supposed to be expressing.
    - Surprising amount of emotional punch in the death and post-death scenes. Got the point across much better and more succinctly than the original comics.
    - They did a good job condensing the entire massive story arc into 75 minutes, but it did feel a bit rushed in places. A slightly longer running time would have been nice to flesh some areas of the plot out.
    - While I'm disappointed that the Cyborg Superman didn't make the cut (my favorite character), I thought the post-resurrection bit did a good job tying together three of the four "Reign" Supermen into two characters: Fortress Robot (Eradicator) and Clone-Superman (Superboy, Eradicator and Cyborg). Didn't see any nods to Steel, though.
    - Definitely more mature writing, dialogue and events without resorting to pointless cursing, sex and/or gore, like a lot of these things do.
    - Minor quibble, but I don't see why Doomsday had to be a robot in this. If it's to avoid even the suggestion of Superman killing, that seems to be rendered moot by Superman killing Clone-Superman later on.

Definitely worth the money spent, far better than the direct-to-dvd garbage Marvel's put out and I'm really looking forward to the next animated movie from DC, even though I don't know anything about JLNF. This one has also given me a lot of hope for the upcoming "Judas Contract" film as well.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2007