Superman Doomsday and Justice League New Frontier

Discussion in 'Movies and Television' started by Lumpy, Oct 7, 2009.

1. Lumpy

Lumpy Taylor Swift Actionmaster Super Mod

News Credits:
    so, i'm thinking i'll pick these up this payday, but wondered if the 2 disc versions are worth an extra 5 bucks or not...so, does anyone have them? is there anything good on them? so far the only other animated dvds i got the two disc version of was First Flight and i think Gotham Knight...can't remember though...so, are the special features worth it?

2. Switch625

Switch625 "Up, up, and away!"

Only if you're into documentaries. If you only plan to watch the movies, then save the money.

3. Lumpy

News Credits:
    i kinda do...but only for some characters...batman and green lantern mostly...but i've started to like superman alot more over the past year or two thanks to geoff johns, so i wasn't sure...and i found a few copies of the 2 disc for real cheap on amazon...like under 10 bucks shipped for a brand new 2 disc...so i may get them just because...

4. Opticron Primal

Opticron Primal Comin' up OOOs!

News Credits:
    The main Superman extra covers the development and public outcome of the Death of Superman saga. The New Frontier extras go over the history of the Justice League, Legion of Doom and 2 JLU episodes.

5. Switch625

Switch625 "Up, up, and away!"

I really liked the Superman documentary. I remember all the buzz around Superman's death and it was pretty cool to see all the behind the scenes stuff that went into the storyline and the resulting media frenzy.

6. Takara_destron

Takara_destron Mainly lurking these days

Ebay:
    I dont remember the stuff on Doomsday too well, but the New Frontier extras are well worth it.

7. Ktulu

Ktulu Whoosh TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    The extras on the Doomsday dvd are the best part of the whole set imo

8. Lumpy

News Credits:
    cool, thanks guys...now i gotta figure out what to do...

9. seeker311

seeker311 The Collector

News Credits:
    I liked Doomsday better, New Frontier was kinda of a let down for me

10. AniProwl

AniProwl Banned

News Credits:
    Movies vise-
    Superman Doomsady is the worst of the DC DTV's in my opinion while New Frontier is the best one.

11. matrixprime

matrixprime AJ's Toy Chest Owner

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    See, I'm going to have to disagree with you there AniProwl. I thought it Superman was decent, but New Frontier was just plain boring. I guess I was spoiled with Justice League Unlimited. Both movies have their dragging points but for some reason I thought those same points in New Frontier were longer. Superman is no pearl either though, the clone was lame and no Hank Henshaw makes me sad.:cry 

12. Opticron Primal

News Credits:
    I completely disagree.

I thought Doomsday was good while New Frontier was good but boring. I get it's an adaptaion of the actual book, but spending the whole movie mostly covering Hal Jordan's origins isn't very exciting.

13. bigkid24

bigkid24 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I would save the money regarding buying either movie. I found both of them boring and forgettable.

14. matrixprime

matrixprime AJ's Toy Chest Owner

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Actually, this pretty much sums up my experience with all Marvel/DC direct to dvd movies. You're best bet is a Redbox rental if that.

15. Lumpy

News Credits:
    no Hank Henshaw makes me sad too...

and i like most of the Marvel and DC movies so far...they're fun, which is about what i expect...and i buy them for my comic book movie shelf...if i enjoy them...and these both seem like i'd enjoy them...hence why i try to find them cheaper too...like a 2 disc superman doomsday for 7 bucks...that's a good price...

16. Galaxy Convoy

Galaxy Convoy Well-Known Member

I liked the movie and all, but I wish it had followed the actual comic storyline. Hell, they could've ended it with Superman's death and Funeral for a Friend. And then done a sequel based on Reign of the Supermen, specifically the latter part of it.

17. Opticron Primal

News Credits:
    If you're after the comicbook related extras and stuff, then go for New Frontier first.

That movie has the best extras of all the DC animated stuff, IMO.

18. Deefuzz

Deefuzz Beard On! Beardmaster! Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Doomsday was terrible. Only buy that one if you want the extras, or never read the original comics.

19. girafeswordsman

girafeswordsman Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I'm going to have agree with Aniprowl, at least about New Frontier being better than Doomsday. I thought New Frontier was awesome.

20. Andersonh1

Andersonh1 Man, I've been here a LONG time Veteran

Ebay:
    Superman/Doomsday

I was prepared not to like this movie very much, since I knew going in that it deviated quite a bit from the comic book "Death of Superman" storyline. I'll give the writers credit. It's not a bad Superman movie, though it's only an adaption in a very loose sense of the word. And despite all the comments from the authors and producers about trying to make it look different than Superman TAS and Justice League in order to seperate it from both, it feels very much like it belongs in that universe.

The differences from the original storyline are numerous, so I won't try to list them all. The similarities are that the creature Doomsday escapes his underground prison, goes on a killing rampage, reaches Metropolis and fights Superman to the death. Only Superman didn't quite die, but while he was in a near-death state, someone else appears in Metropolis who looks and acts like him, but isn't. Superman dons the black and silver suit and has to defeat him to protect the city. Missing from Superman/Doomsday are the Justice League of the time, all the other heroes at the funeral, Pa Kent, and the four Supermen. And we won't even get into the destruction of Coast City...

If you're looking for a faithful adaptation here, save your money. You won't find it. If you're looking for a streamlined version of the death of Superman that evokes the original without being very faithful to all the details, the this movie is pretty good. The animation is a step above the level of the various tv series, but not as good as DC's later movies. The voices all sound strange when I'm used to the tv voice actors, but they generally do the characters justice.

The extras are good. This particular movie has a commentary and a documentary about the Death of Superman storyline in the comics that's well worth watching.