Superman and video games, a bad combo?

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by TranstechCat, Jan 15, 2011.

1. TranstechCat

TranstechCat Cybernetic Chimpanzee

What is (are) the best Superman-based video game(s)?

I can't even really think of that many Superman-based games at all, and the ones I do know of aren't all that good ("Superman Returns" for the PS2) or are LONG out of date ("Superman" for Sega Genesis)...

Anyone have an opinion on which is the best game(s) featuring the Man of Steel?

2. Atomsplitter

Atomsplitter Needs a new title.

The ollld arcade one where you could have 2 different colored Supes on screen at once was pretty cool. Other then that.... yeah.

3. Brainchild

Brainchild Dark Flame Master

Pretty much every Superman game is readily called the worst game ever (Superman 64, Superman Returns DS), so I wish you luck on your hunt.

4. UltraMagnus3786

UltraMagnus3786 That's what it is

5. Cyber-Scream

Cyber-Scream Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I don't think there's ever been a decent Superman game.

6. kenm2474

kenm2474 LORD DC TFW2005 Supporter

Superman needs a redo like Batman Arkham Asylum.

7. Murasame

Murasame CHIMICHANGAS

News Credits:
    I don't think there could ever be a good Superman game. To be realistic it would be like walking with god mode through the levels, because no one could hurt Superman. That would be boring.

Superman is much overpowered for a video game. His only weakness is kryptonite. He can even transition time through his incredible speed... so what would stop him? He could even move the whole planet by his power.

But in video games he's often not invulnerable, which is like just playing a flying dude in a Superman costume, that is not Superman.

8. Brave Magnus

Brave Magnus Hecho en Argentina

News Credits:
  9. UnicronFTW

UnicronFTW Don't blink.

News Credits:
    That doesn't just go for the video games, it goes for his character. Theres just to damn much packed into him.

10. optimus kimchee

optimus kimchee Well-Known Member

The best Superman games so far in order:

1. Superman Returns - Xbox 360
    2. Superman Shadow of Apoklips - PS2/Gamecube
    3. Death and Return of Superman - Super Nintendo
    4. Superman Arcade

The cancelled Factor 5 Superman game would have been hands down the BEST Superman game to date... to bad they went out of business :( 

YouTube - Superman PS3 Game Footage ( Cancelled Game)

11. Pravus Prime

Pravus Prime Sorcerer

News Credits:
    That's one of the things I liked about Superman Returns for the PS2, was that Superman was invincible. Instead Metropollis had a health meter and you had to keep the city viable instead by stopping the bad guys who popped up to damage the city, plus doing good deeds restored the city health.

Personally I thought Superman Returns wasn't that bad, which I thought was a bit ironic, given that I thought the movie qualifies for one of the worst movies ever made. Plus with infinite city health on you can stop minor crimes by flying past them at mach 3 and burst your heat vision on them. :lol 

Superman TAS: Shadow of Apokalips is also not bad. It openly has cheats so you can really play as Superman (IE not worry about using too much power or getting injured) and is a much better superhero interface for playing as the man of steel. Plus there are a few different ways to play offering multiple solutions to problems at times. It's also one of the rare games that it's easy to use multiple powers at once. You want to float in place, use your telescopic vision and heat vision to essentially snipe a foe? Easy peasy.

12. Josh

Josh Comic Color-guy

News Credits:
    dang i forgot about that video

man that was awesome lookin

13. TranstechCat

TranstechCat Cybernetic Chimpanzee

"Death and Return of Superman" actually looks quite fun. I've never played it before (or even heard of it for that matter), but now I almost want to snag an emulated version to play on the computer...

That PS3 Superman game being canceled makes my brain sad. It looks like it could've been seven kinds of awesome. *sighs* Oh well, I couldn't have gotten it anyway. I don't have a PS3.

I may give Shadow of Apokolips for PS2 a shot if I can find a copy for cheap.

What about the portable scene? How have the Superman games been for Gameboy/DS/etc.?

I can't even think of a single non-console Superman game. I know there has to have been at least a couple.

14. TheIncredibleHulk

TheIncredibleHulk Find Gary Busey!

15. deltaprime

deltaprime The Christian Transfan

I personally love Death and Return of Superman. You get to play as all the different "Supermen" during the whole story arc where Supes has to die fighting Doomsday and all that.

16. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I played the Atari 2600 Superman game quite a bit when I was a kid, actually

17. optimus kimchee

optimus kimchee Well-Known Member

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!! That game was TERRIBLE! I was so pissed as a kid when I got that! I been a Superman fan since I was a kid and was SO excited when I got it home, then was so let down... that game was amazingly aweful... dont know what was worse, superman 64 or nes superman?!

Sorry, but besides Justice League Heroes on PSP the portable games all stink!

Justice League Heroes on psp/ps2/xbox was awesome. It was a dungeon crawler game (diablo, dungeon seige, marvel ultimate allince) but not as deep as those other games for customizing characters.

18. Pravus Prime

Pravus Prime Sorcerer

News Credits:
    I remember that game, I liked playing as The Eradicator. The rest, not so much.