Minor/Repaint: Superlinked! The Battle for the True Wheeljack

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by Superquad7, Apr 17, 2011.

1. Superquad7

Superquad7 We're only human. Super Mod

News Credits:
    Hey guys, well, this is a bit of a bittersweet thread for me. Ironically enough, autobotx23 and myself finished our Wheeljack customs around the same time a few moons ago. I didn't go near the lengths with mine as he did, as I simply wanted a "stand-in" Wheeljack until we got a Hasbro release. Sure, it wasn't absolute at the time, but I certainly thought we'd get one.

I've always really liked the Energon Downshift toy, and it's pretty obvious that it's supposed to be Wheeljack. I wanted to give it some extra touches to make it look more like Wheeljack, but it was certainly at the bottom of my "Customs To-Do List". Eventually, I found a loose Superlink Wheeljack at a local dealer for $10, and thought "well, this makes my job even easier!" as initially I thought I'd just like the Superlink version better.

Oddly enough, that wasn't the case. I much preferred the Energon's alt mode deco, as the Superlink's deco was way too bright. Of course, I preferred the SL's robot mode parts, since they weren't olive green. I performed a parts swap to get the bot below. I chopped off the huge hubcap portion that plagues most of the Energon toys. I made a custom Autobot symbol for the chest, as well as painting the guns flat black.

Fast forward to a few weeks ago where Generations Wheeljack was on his way. Now, my custom WJ here knew of this the whole time, and has been very upset (don't worry, if you critique my custom work, I won't tell him, so you don't have to spare his feelings!). I thought I'd take some snap shots (still not what I'd consider a "gallery" of my work, per se) of their meeting. Sadly, it didn't go as hoped. Oh well . . . .

(Obviously, the premiere of Wheeljack's appearance in Transformers: Prime didn't ease my custom's feelings either. It's a hard knock life, I suppose)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

2. Razorclaw

Razorclaw Are ya gonna draw pistols

Wow, I liked it how you made that shoulder cannon. And it doesn't need any modding. Great job.

3. Rotorstorm

Rotorstorm OriginalRotorstorm Fanboy

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    poor guy, my energon downshift is feeling the same (but he got supplanted by a custom from classics sunstreaker,) I figured what I'd do to him instead is remove the racing decals off him so he's just white and hey presto, instant classics Downshift for omnibot goodness.

4. pumpkingonzo

pumpkingonzo Stunticon lover!

Ebay:
    Looks fantastic!

5. Autobot Burnout

Autobot Burnout SANTARN IS COMING AGAIN TFW2005 Supporter

Considering how hard it is to actually GET a Generations (or much less United) Wheeljack for a good price, I wouldn't go so far as to make a blanket claim that poor old Energon Wheeljack isn't obsolete just yet. At least Hasbro tried making him a decent enough figure even though he is a good example why the combining gimmick for all Energon Autobots sucks.

As for your custom, it really does look the best I've ever seen that mold as!:thumbs2: 

6. vidmouse

vidmouse Well-Known Member

That shoulder cannon is genius

7. Rumble02

Rumble02 Radicon of Obliticons

nice job. and I love the descriptions. poor downshift just can't catch a break.

8. SwerveGears

SwerveGears The King of Victory

News Credits:
    Here's an idea- combine that Wheeljack with the Energon Downshift/Superlink Wheeljack just to see what happens.

9. Dolza_Khyron

Dolza_Khyron Well-Known Member

this is this is what i am using for wheeljack too. amazing toy, and i like the design far more then i like the repaint of tracks. i turned the legs around though on mine, to put the car front as the front legs. it's a bit bulkier, but displays well. just not very possible! :lol 

but i always thought wheeljack should be a bit bulkier, since he is a mechanic, and not a fighter. so he can look big and strong.

also i think this mold would look awesome combined with itself! :lol 

10. J.T.Silversmith

J.T.Silversmith Active Member

There's no need to exclude either from your classics collection, this is simply unit 1 and 2 of Wheeljack's new BT system, and you could throw in Cybertron Downshift in there as a unit 3. (Just borrow the idea from the Binaltech story.) Anyway, I love this. This is what I wish my energon Wheeljack looked like. He was definately one of my favorite of the energon figures.

11. destrongerlupus

destrongerlupus #MoreSawBoss

News Credits:
    I feel the pain of this whole saga, I've got a AutobotX23 Wheeljack in my collection, and the work he did, especially those decals, is just too beautiful to have him be supplanted by this short-statured "real" Wheeljack...

...But the toy is pretty nice.

I plan on using "Real" Wheeljack to make a Marlbooor and call it a day :) 

Great works on the updates to yours, I love the hubcap fixes especiallly!

12. MATTICUS PRIME

MATTICUS PRIME chicks love me!

Nice!

13. Superquad7

News Credits:
    Thanks for all of the posts, guys! I really hope you can tell that I basically just wanted to have some fun here. This custom is some very minor work from me, and though some of the partswapping was a pain (those doors! ARGH!), it's just not something I wished to spend a whole lot of time on.

Anyways, I always love responding to you guys, so here we go:

Thanks! :)  This is probably the favorite thing for me about this figure. I even like it much more than that Generations shoulder "launcher" mount. For me, it's just a lot more fun and clever. I'm pretty sure it's undocumented, too :D 

Awesome! You feel the pain too, then! :D 

Thanks a lot! :thumb 

I totally agree with your first paragraph. Normally, when I have a stand-in and the new bot comes along, off the stand-in goes. I can't bring myself to do that with this guy. What I've decided to do is place him on my Decepticon shelf ala the premiere of Wheeljack's appearance in Transformers: Prime. It'll always remind me of fun times :) 

Thanks for your assessment, too. I still remember when autobotx23 posted his at relatively the same time I finished mine, and was just like "aw man, pwned!" :lol 

Thanks a lot! I really had a lot of fun discovering it. I certainly like it a lot more after the flat black paint job.

Tru dat, man. Tru dat.

If Darkov didn't have the other, I could do that!

Hehe, that's awesome! I'm actually partial to the Generations version simply for size issues (this mold is really big compared to the others - even Drift/Blurr!).

That's a great idea! I think I'll stick with the usage above, though. You guys know me and Binaltech :D 

Thanks so much for the props and kind words. :) 

I totally agree with you on ax23's work (see above).

Thanks for the props! The hubcaps do need some TLC, but I doubt I'll ever go back to it. I hate to say it, but this was one of those "quick fixes" for my cheap entertainment. There are some customs I labor over, then there are some that I kinda do just for kicks. I think that's one of the many endearing things for me with this one - he's just a lot of fun :D 

Thanks!

Also, note that I do intend to pass all of your support along to Superlinked Wheeljack. He's not too happy trying to fit in with the Decepticons. I guess asking Thrust if he "continually needs butter" isn't helping his cause either.

14. cheetor71

cheetor71 Autobot

Nice version of Wheeljack. I do like the Generations version better but this does make a fine stand-in. Call this one Makeshift and give him to Starscream to play with. :) 

15. beigoma

beigoma Autobot TFW2005 Supporter

Neat-O!

16. tabtiurf

tabtiurf Chimeracon

Nice job bud! I think yours is actually better! The official WJ is just too wide and stumpy!

17. Megatron31

Megatron31 I Belong to Nobody! TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    I like that Allen but it alsy proove to me how much i need to to the leg mod to my wheeljack, so short

18. Dormamu

Dormamu I am Broot.

News Credits:
    What I like is that the Energon version had that red piping for the eyes. The cannon and small touches works really well to compare it to the Generations version.

19. Superquad7

News Credits:
    "And that's what he'll be called! Makeshift!" :) 

Thanks!

Thanks a lot, bud! I'll definitely try to remember to show it to you the next time we hang out :) 

There are things I like and dislike about both molds. I like the bulk and the feeling of stockiness without the stumpiness of the Generations WJ (though I'm not as bothered as some are), but I like the sleeker, more refined alt mode of the Generations WJ. I like that the Downshift/WJ mold is it's own thing versus a retool/redeco, despite Hasbro really pulling the reuse well. I like the integration of the armaments of the Downshift/WJ better, too, as I think the "wrenches" are dumb (so does a clip now mean ALL clips are wrenches? :lol )

I think you guys can see how torn I am between two really cool molds. :) 

:lol  Do eeet!!!

Of course, I prefer blue since he is (was!) an Autobot, but I especially like the red now!

As far as the cannons go, I was really surprised how much I like the weapons more in a flat black versus the translucent red. Another thing I get torn relatively easily on is that I like weapons painted in flat color, usually black, since it make them feel more "gritty". On the other hand, I like the translucent weapons for the exact opposite reason - it makes them feel otherworldly and alien . . . as if from Cybertron! Also with this mold, I like the attack mode a lot :) 

Again, thanks for all of the feedback guys! :) 

20. Dolza_Khyron

Dolza_Khyron Well-Known Member

generation's looks like some one cut off his knees and his crotch lol wtf was hasbro thinking? couldn't we of just gotten a new head and a straight repaint? did they really have to change the lower torso THAT MUCH?

wheeljack was always one of my favorites, and that did NOT do it justice. i think the energon one works MUCH better.