Superion just not superior

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Mathius Maximus, Aug 14, 2010.

1. Mathius Maximus

Mathius Maximus Well-Known Member

Am I the only one who thought the autobots got screwed on combiners? In particular, I really don't LIKE the aerialbots.

The decepticons got Devastator who is classic cool, Menasaur who just plain looks awesome, and Bruticus who was equally cool despite having some of the most horrible animation of any of the combiners (see the Revenge of Bruticus) Later Predaking and Abominus joined the fold and they were pretty sweet to look at as well, although I've never been a big fan of Predaking's head design.

The autobots on the other hand got Superion. Later Defensor and Computron would join them, MUCH improvements, but still not quite as cool. Computron would definitely make the top of my list, but his MO of constantly computing his next action strikes me as making him SLOW. Defensor would be a nice compliment to other combiners, but being that he's one of just 3, he's barely ok. His color scheme is a bit weak and he has a component that doesn't even want to fight. His biggest claim to fame is a forcefield the decepticons just can outwait, and he once took out Bruticus with a single shot (new toy syndrome or just a plot tool?).

That leaves Superion to mention. The first of the combiners and by far the lamest. Even his cartoon voice was lame at times. (see his opening appearance in key to vector sigma 2 when he yells "Omega!") There was nothing cool or sleak about his appearance. The guy had wings sticking out all over. Hasbro thought that probably lended to his MO as a combiner made of planes, but I just see him as someone with a lot of wind drag who can't walk through narrow hallways. I was never crazy about his color scheme either, probably because white and red is about as tired and old as the first ambulance.

But even his individual components were lame. I mean this wasn't the first time Hasbro encountered Jets. The seekers had pretty cool alt modes. Even the second series of seekers (dirge, ramjet, etc) weren't horrible although their wings being re-tooled put me in mind of them all trying to wear capes. But the aerialbots? Talk about dropping the ball. 4 out of the 5 of them literally walk around with their altmodes on their backs:

[​IMG]

How cool is it to walk around with a plane attached to your back?

Am I in the minority? I don't really think I am. When I look in the custom section I see a thousand designs of Devastator, Bruticus, and Menasaur, but I haven't seen a single Superion, and maybe 1 Defensor.

It always struck me as crazy how the 'toon always made up for the autobots lack of combiners with Omega Supreme or Metroplex, or even Broadside once, IIRC. Yet Hasbro didn't see it.

Mathius

2. Tissot

Tissot Banned

ur crazy :)  p.s. there are a few superion customs

3. Gingerchris

Gingerchris Telly-headed Tyrant

News Credits:
    I can kinda see your point. Even the toys are somewhat disappointing, with the jet parts on the limb backs separating at the slightest nudge and a very skinny robot overall. I suppose out of everything there always has to be a weak design and poor Superion got the shortest straw. Silverbolt is nice though and maybe a different and more varied set of limb transformations for his team mates would've helped.

4. D-Unit

D-Unit #1 Heel

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I agree somewhat. I thought the Aerialbots were a cool idea as a kid, and it made sense the way the cartoon explained their creation (The Autobots were getting tired of having no air force), but after the initial coolness wore off, I didn't really care for them or the Protectobots really. Combiners to me were always the Decepticons thing. It was like the ultimate weapon that made Autobots shit themselves. Once they had their own, it was kinda not as cool. Aside from Silverbolt and Slingshot, none of them had any personalities anyway

5. Gingerchris

Gingerchris Telly-headed Tyrant

News Credits:
    I always have to pause and think to try and remember their names. And then don't ask me to suddenly put those names to the right figure, apart from Slingshot and Silverbolt. Never had that problem with the other Combiner teams.

6. Treadshot A1

Treadshot A1 Or just 'A1' for short...

Malfunction's Superion shows that there are Superion customs, and i've seen more than enough Air Raid/Slingshot/other interpretations of the Classics Seeker mold. There was also a recent custom of ROTF Dirge into Slingshot. Therefore your poiint about not seeing a single Superion custom is...

...well, you just haven't looked hard enough. They're there, though they're sparse.

Also, i'd argue that hte reason Custom Devastators are so damn common is that Ptitvite, the guy who made the fist one, has a freakin' tutorial for them, it's a step by step instruction guide, almost. You can derive exactly which lego bricks you need, which bots to use, he even used to have Dev Heads for sale. It's so flippin' easy to follow, that's why so many are around. There have been no Menasor/Superion/Bruticus guides i've seen yet, and that would explain why there are so many more Devastators.

And Ryanuybe... (i give up trying to spell the username) made a fantastic Defensor, along with the one FR made.

As for whether Superion is cool or not, that's very subjective. Personally, i kinda like the guy, but i was never around during G1, never saw the toon, so my opinion is simply based on his design, and i like what i see. Go figure.

I disagree with you comment that they wear they're altmode on their backs and that makes them uncool, though. The Coneheads have a freakin' cockpit for a head and yet you make no comment about that. I think that's slightly hypocritical.

7. aprim

aprim Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    superions one of my favorites! I can't believe this thread exists!

8. Fit For natalie

Fit For natalie tfwiki nerd

News Credits:
    Silverbolt is one of my favourite Transformer characters. Silverbolt is mature, responsible, and has a believable fear of heights, but refuses to let that cripple him. In a sea of fearless tough guys, that makes him far more interesting than more well-known characters.

9. Ikkstakk

Ikkstakk Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I was never a fan of the Aerialbot toys, and I thought Superion's legs were too thin. But I didn't mind them in the show. Silverbolt, Slingshot and even Air Raid seemed fairly well-developed to me character-wise.

The Coneheads have a nosecone for a head. Their cockpits are on their chests like the other Seekers.:wink: 

10. Treadshot A1

Oops, my bad. Thanks Ikkstakk. However, my point still stands. Having a nosecone on your head is no better than the Aerialbots having wings, or Prowl having car door 'wings' or Rhinox having Rhino skin hanging off of him in rbot mode.

11. Ikkstakk

Ikkstakk Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    The difference may be subtle, but I think the point he's trying to make is that the Aerialbots don't appear to transform so much as they just appear to stand up. Their jet parts don't do anything except get carried around on their backs. Whereas characters like the Coneheads and Prowl actually transform and their alt mode parts are more fully integrated into their robot modes.

12. Mathius Maximus

No, I think you guys are missing my point. I never said there weren't any superion customs, I said _I_ hadn't seen one. The point was never that they didn't exist. The point was, I'd have to do a search to find a Defensor or a Superion, but a Bruticus, Menasaur, or Devastator shows up about once a week. I know if I look right now in Radicons, on the first two pages I'll at least find two Bruticus customs and probably another decepticon combiner.

I don't agree that there's so many Devastator's because there's a tutorial. He's just a cool robot. There is a tutorial on how to do a terrorcon combiner, but I haven't seen one of those outside of the two tutorials either. KingBotz' Devastator certainly wasn't based on the tutorial. They didn't bring him back for the RotF movie because of the tutorial.

I don't see your comparison at all, or how it's hypocritical. How does a car having "door wings" or Rhinox have rhinosaurus skin equate to walking around with a damn near whole plane on your back?

If you like Superion and the aerialbots, fine, that's your opinion. It's part of the reason I started this thread. But your reasoning is so faulty it sounds like you're taking the whole thread personally.

Silverbolt is the only 1 of the 5 to have his own uniqueness. The other 4 could be interchangable save the one who looks like Leader-1 has more lines in the cartoon. Hell, if I'm not mistaken you can even switch them around for limbs.

Mathius

13. Treadshot A1

Ikkstakk, While i do agree that the aerialbots have a lot of kibble, saying they don't transform is just stupid, especially when you compare them to the seekers, who, in G1, were just glorified Lego, to be honest (only a slight exaggeration).

All in all, i'd have to say that while the Aerialbots are bad in terms of intuitive transformations, at least they make a combiner. There are some who have crap transformations who don't have an excuse for it. Yes, i'm looking at you, Quickswitch. You have six different bricks for modes. That's lame. The Aerialbots can at least say that they needed lame bot modes to make a combiner.

Okay, calm down. ;) 

Look, i'll take Rhinox for example, as i think he is the best example of my point. Lets take a comparison:

You say, the Aerialbots have what is practically a plane on their backs. True
    I say, Rhinox has what is practically a Rhino on his back. Also True, especially the toy, which is infamous as a shellformer.

I'll add to that what is the worst of them all: Big Convoy. He is almost, really damn close to, asymptotic to being 2 toys in one.

So they both (Rhinox and the Aerialbots) walk around with what is essentially their altmodes on their backs. Right? Right. Now, the coneheads, as the name suggests, have nosecones for heads. If that's not worse than or equally as bad as wearing a jet on your back, i don't know what is. My point is that while you do not like the Aerialbots, you mention the Coneheads in your post, and you have no complaints about them. Yet they wear their wings and nosecone on them as well. What i'm saying is that if you dislike the Aerialbots for the sole reason of them having such kibble, then at least you should provide a reason for why the same doesn't apply to the Seekers.

Yep, i knew that would come up. That's why in my post i specifically said that 'you haven't looked hard enough'. As in, yes, we all know you haven't seen one, but then again you haven't bothered to try to see one either. And, someone else could come along and say "I haven't seen a single Devs, but i have seen Superion", and be equally correct, you were both there at different times, you both see different things. No one's arguing with what you've seen. Only you know what you've seen, to argue over that would be pointless and utterly stupid.

As for the tutorial, you mention the Terrorcons Tutorial, by which i think you mean the one made from Energon scouts. Well, to be honest with you i have planned a Predaking from that for a long time, but finds haven't allowed me to build one yet, and i can assure you i didn't just pull this out of my ass, i seriously have been considering, but it's never been high priority due to real life and all. Secondly, that tutorial isn't exactly what most would call kitbashing, it's a new way of putting things together. I realise it's in Radicons, but making that combiner and making Ptitvastator are way way way different. The amount of mods for the Terrorcons are basically zero, Ptitvastator is much more challenging, and you would learn more from that. I'm not saying Devs isn't more popular, but the tutorial is mighty helpful, and would definitely be a big factor in why there's so many Devs. Having access to a ready supply of people waiting to sell you their cast of Dev's head doesn't hurt either.

Kingbotz's Devastator wasn't based on the Tutorial. Then again, i haven't seen Kingbotz do anything from a Tutorial. However, i have seen new bashers who i've never known about suddenly pop up on the boards with a WIP Ptitvastator. How would a newbie know how to do that? I know many asked for help from FR, Ptitvite, Encline, etc. (i know coz in the opening posts the often give thanks to people who helped), but you can only help a guy so much when you're a thousand miles apart. The tutorial is definitely the way to go in terms of learning how to build one, and if someone relatively new to bashing does it, then that's sure to make numbers fly through the roof. I've never seen a new basher take on Menasor, Superion, any other combiner, and conveniently none of them have a step by step picture guide.

They didn't bring Devs back in the ROTF movie because of the Tutorial. They didn't bring him back because of Radicons at all. Heck, we've all the seen shedloads of Universe Jazz's in Radicons, if they wanted to take osmething from Radicons, they could've done that, it'd be hell easy for them to remold Prowl. Point is, they don't. They don't deliberately do anything because of Radicons as far as i'm aware, so your point about ROTF Devs is completely null and void.

14. UltraMagnus3786

UltraMagnus3786 That's what it is

Aside from his creation episode, I never thought Superion was that cool. I thought he was kinda lame in the cartoon and didn't like his design, especially the head. However, I did really like Defensor. It makes sense the Autobots would have a combiner of rescue vehicles, and it should've been executed sooner. Defensor gets some nice moments in season 3 (ultimate weapon, return of optimus prime part 1), whereas I don't think he even combines in season 2 (someone please correct me if I'm wrong).

15. Mathius Maximus

I'm not upset. I just think you're taking it personally and its clouding your judgement.

I'm not familiar with the Rhinox toy, but it's not really relevant since I'm not a big Rhinox fan either. There are lots of bad toys and transformers designs. I'm talking about Superion.

Still, for the sake of your argument I looked at the two figures you mentioned and I still don't think you get it. The arielbots have almost THEIR WHOLE ALTMODE on their backs. They walk around with it. Shell forming is what a transformer is supposed to be all about. These guys don't shell form so much as part form. It's not like a plane turning into a robot, it's like adding legs and arms to a plane.

Rhinox and Big Convoy? I like their transformation. Why? They remind me of the G1 dinobots for one. Rhinox lower jaw sits on his chest and his head is in the rear. His hind legs stand up. Sounds like classic dinobot or predacon. Where's the issue? Convoy is much the same.

No. Wrong.. the back of their altmodes make up their robot modes, and that's about where the comparison ends. I really don't have anymore to say about it. I just see you as wrong. The other guy made the comparison of the altmode's just standing up and becoming the robot mode, but that wasn't my point at all.

For one thing the coneheads are part of the seekers and that makes a difference. Their transformation was more to make them different than Starscream, Thundercracker, and Skywarp then for any other reason. Like I said. I'm not crazy about their altmodes either, but the fact that they're seekers makes a difference. Hasbro could have done a repaint of starscream, but it would have been MORE lame.

There's also the fact that the transformation is just one part of what I don't like about the aerialbots. I don't like the white and red color scheme at all, nor does it make sense to me. You're telling me that the 5 planes that were sitting in that hangar were all white and red except the guy with the black basecoat and silverbolt's yellow highlights? But of course the real answer to that is the television continuity was written AFTER the toys were done.

Mathius

16. Treadshot A1

WOw, rare to see someone on the internet making a decent argument. Props, Mathius.

Okay, so we all agree that Rhionx has pretty much all his Rhino skin hanging off of his back in bot mode, right? Well, therein lies the problem. He has almost the whole hide of a rhino on his back. What more do i have to say? The point is there, it's blatantly obvious.

And youlike the transformation because they remind you of the Dinobots. Fine. Each to their own.

Again, what more do i have to say. I think my point there is pretty self explanatory.

That's all i needed to see. My whole point was trying to discern the reason why the Seekers weren't subject to the same problem of wearing their wings on their backs. If your sole reason is that they are Seekers, which means they are exempt from such criticism, so be it. If youlike the Seekers, fine. I just wanted to know why the seekers were cool when they exhibited many of the problems you see with the Aerialbots. :) 

The answer to that i couldn't tell ya, man. That's what Hasbro did, and that's all i can say about that. Yeah, 5 white planes is just plain stupid, but then again G1 had lots of stupid things, like Scale for instance, or Prime's trailer disappearing, etc.

17. Mathius Maximus

Attached Files:

18. Mathius Maximus

I'm not gonna keep arguing this with you, but you completely ignored my point about how they look like planes with arms and legs as opposed to robots.

Mathius

19. Alienbot

Alienbot Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    The Autobots shouldn't have needed combiners, they had the Dinobots, Jetfire and Omega Supreme.

20. Jhaynes

Jhaynes Well-Known Member

Back in 86 I chose to buy the Protectobots over the Aerialbots, the main reason was because all the smaller ones looked similar.
    I do agree with Gingerchris Silverbolt and Slingshot stood out, and it was easy to remember their names, but the other 3 were hard to remember.