Customs: Superglue and Nailpolish Details Please

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by BioBlade, Sep 30, 2009.

1. BioBlade

BioBlade Well-Known Member

Okay, a LOT of my figures are suffering from loose joints, both ball and pin. I've heard it suggested that superglue be applied to pin joints, then move the joint for several minutes while it dries. I've also heard that Nail-polish can be used to tighten up ball joints. Still, before I go out and try this on my figures, I would like a few more details. What kind of superglue and nail polish work best? What effect will these have on the plastic and paint? Does the nail polish go on the ball or in the socket? How many times should I apply these tricks to a joint, and how long should I wait between applications? How do I make sure the superglue doesn't get all over the place, possibly ruining my figure by giving it some weird shine or something? Sorry, I've never tried any of this before, and I like to be prepared before I do stuff of this kind of permanence.

2. REDLINE

REDLINE longer days, plz? Veteran

News Credits:
    I just drip future floor finish into the joints. There's no risk of gluing parts together, nor melting of plastic.

3. project9

project9 White n' Nerdy

To me, superglue seems like a very bad idea. I know everyone swears by it and I'm sure it works great... just not for me. I fear it would damage it if I don't do it right. I use a plain clear nail polish instead; I figure that it's safer and removable if needed. I picked a Sally Hansen Hard as Nails clear and it's been working fine for me.

Usually, I put it on the socket. The number of coats depends on how loose the joint is and you need to wait until it's dry before those coats. Sometimes, I apply a coat to both sides rather than all in the socket. Whatever gets the job done. =) Just wait until it's fully dry (10 mins or so) and pop it back together. If it's still too loose, take it apart and add another coat.