Supergirl - CW TV Show Discussion

Discussion in 'Movies and Television' started by Tekkaman Blade, Sep 3, 2014.

1. moreprimeland

moreprimeland Optimus told me to do it!

News Credits:
    YES!! Opportunity Missed....And/or a Lois Lane one too... Teri Hatcher could've used a sense of humor in this one. lol

• Like Like x 1
  2. primekiller

primekiller Well-Known Member

So much for Hercules!
    Lois Lane killed Hercules.

3. AutoBobby

AutoBobby The Collector

So my daughter and I watched tonight's episode because we found out Lynda Carter was going to be on again. It's even more painful to watch than I remember.

4. GreednGluttony

GreednGluttony grumpy smurf

The only way I'm watching this show, is if superman shows up again :lol 

5. Megastar

Megastar Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    That Superman episode reinforced my hated of the character.

• Like Like x 1
  6. OmarJT82

OmarJT82 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    President Marsdin a female Dominator? That would explain why she didn't want the D.E.O. to attack the Daxamite ship.

Is it just me or is Mon-El is basically Earth-38's Oliver Queen?

Think about it: both Mon-El and Oliver were spoiled, privileged boys who did what they wanted and didn't care who they hurt in the process. Then, they suffer a great, upheaving event that knocks enough sense into them (Mon-El: the destruction of Daxam / Oliver: the sinking of the Queen's Gambit) to realize that they need to change and be better for themselves and the people close to them.

Through the loss of his world, Mon-El learned that literally everything he knew was entirely wrong and that he was unwittingly contributing to a reign of oppression. It's not like he was a piece of shit because he wanted to be, because he chose to be, but rather it was taught to him since the day he was born. He didn't know there was any other way to be. That there was more to life and something better in life. Thanks to Kara, he does now. He is actively trying to be better man than he was even if it meant going against his own people and culture. It's not easy but he's working so hard at it and his character development has been INCREDIBLE!

Furthermore, if you remember in the episode "Welcome to the Earth", Kara not only threw Mon-El in prison right off the bat for being a Daxamite, her hatred/prejudices toward them made Kara wrongly accuse Mon-El of trying to assassinate the U.S. President. Kara even mentions very early that the prince was notoriously the worst of the Daxamite Royal Family. Keeping the fact that he was the prince from Kara (and by extension the D.E.O.) could have been motivated by self preservation at the time. But as time went on, and as he got to know Kara and her family, he felt shame and disgust over who he was before the destruction of Daxam and his need to reveal this truth faded since he had no reason to believe his past would ever resurface again.

7. moreprimeland

moreprimeland Optimus told me to do it!

News Credits:
    :lol  Exactly what I was thinking when it happened.... dang, they've made her crazy beyond words and she doesn't take those of a different mind very well...especially husbands. Ouch.

Wonder if they plan to have her and Lynda Carter fight it out? Seems like she and mama were in cahoots looking for Mon El in the first place, so guessing Lynda/Mme. President was protecting his parents.

8. GoLion

GoLion Banned

News Credits:
    I keep hoping they do a crisis of infinite events with this show and the Arrow verse. With as much as they're having them crossover, I think it would be fitting.

Oh, and to clarify my earlier post: I don't mind those progressive ideas being in the show, but they're being done in such a silly way that it almost feels like a parody (Which scaleface outlined in his post). If you're going to push an agenda, do it like the latest Mad Max or Star wars movies, all 3 of those movies had a progressive message that didn't feel stupid.

9. calvin0

calvin0 Well-Known Member

Mon-El's mother
    hired assassin to kill supergirl, tries to kill supergirl and kill her own husband..
    this show hate men so much that every major villain is somehow a women instead of men (Supergirl's aunt, Lex Luthor's mother and now Mon-El's mother, and not counting Brainic 8, Livewire and Roulette)... and a women president.. ops... she is apparently evil too..

you must not get the memo... she actually dated one of them... and those friendzoned sidekick.. have thier own girlfriend.. last time i check.. and they are not a sidekick anymore..

yeah i know it's mind blowing that the plot move on without you... oh.. better hurry, i can see the plot moving again..

anyway... i feel like instead of hiring lois lane to play mon-el's mother, they should have hired Xena... i mean, come on... Evil Dead can get her, why this show cant...

Last edited: Mar 28, 2017
  10. lars573

lars573 Well-Known Member

Evil dead is produced by her husband and shot in her home country. She's not really available to a show shot in North America.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Sylent

Sylent Making Cybertron great again

I get a headache from watching Supergirl because they beat us over the head with Alex's relationship issues every episode. They spend more time on her relationship than Supergirl's! We get it already!

12. lars573

Which they do for a specific reason. Attracting viewers.

13. Sylent

I suspect that at this juncture, it turns off more viewers than it attracts. The show should spend more time on the superhero aspect and less on relationships and "it's okay, you're not alone" subliminal lectures. But, this is the CW and the status quo has been established.

14. Scaleface

Scaleface Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    It may be a budget thing. It costs less to make two girls date on screen than make one girl fly and shoot lasers. So when they run out of special effects budget each week they march in the lesbian romance to fill time cheaply.

15. AutoBobby

AutoBobby The Collector

That was one of the main reasons we stopped watching it.

16. OmarJT82

OmarJT82 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
  17. lars573

Your suspicions are dubious at best. This show has, from the beginning, been written with a female audience in mind. That's why it has the different distribution of soap opera and action elements compared to Flash and Arrow. Watch other CW shows aimed squarely at women (like Reign or the Vampire diaries). You'll find it's very similar in structure.

18. Sylent

Are they?

The proof is in the pudding. I'm certainly not alone, although that wouldn't cause me to stop watching the show.

I enjoy a good soap opera, heck, I used to avidly watch One Life to Live for decades. The difference is, they didn't beat us over the head with the same relationship issue for months. Additionally, this relationship felt forced from the beginning as if the writers were trying to convey a message, then, they turned a strong, kick-ass lead-potential character in Alex, into a whiny, needy insecure shell of herself.

I will agree that CW shows marketed towards female viewers are quite similar, like the 100, which I stopped watching last season as the show lost its identity. I hope that doesn't happen with Supergirl.

19. lars573

You concentrate on the micro far too much, we're a few dozen in a thread on a forum. Where as Supergirl competes with Flash to the CW's highest rated show week to week.

Really. You should reign then. Where, much like Alex on Supergirl, they got a seasons long sub-plot of two characters (King Henry's mistress and bastard son) being forced to get married at sword point. You say forced, it's more accurate to say awkward. As they took a woman who was all about work and gave her something she's never ever had, a relationship. Don't forget in season 1 Alex's personal life was not explored beyond her family.

20. janeDoe001

janeDoe001 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Finally caught up with the season... and pissed that there's no new episodes until April 28th (but I understand the possible reasons) ...and it was interesting. At first I was like "yeah, kick ass alien POTUS in the house" but now I'm more like "I don't think this POTUS' motives are all that innocent."

and yeah, J''onn's gonna face punishment sooner than later, or that's what I think, and Mon-El's mommy's gonna be back. She kinda reminds me of Mother Gothel so much I expected her to sing the line "Mother knows best." :lol 

jD001