Superbowl commercials cost A LOT

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by manyoufactsure, Jan 13, 2009.

1. manyoufactsure

manyoufactsure Maximal TFW2005 Supporter

This is based off of the recent movie rumors so please DO NOT continue reading if you haven't already been spoiled.

I am not a football fan and DO NOT watch the Superbowl but I do hear about the commercials and how much they cost.

It costs a MILLION, or more, for a minute of air time, during the Superbowl and I feel the movie can be advertised, in regular ways, without spending that much for ONE commercial.

I would rather they put that money into the movie and CGI effects. It cost 1.2 or 1.5 million to make TFTM1 and they brought in over 5 million. If a commercial costs 1 million, to start, then the initial cost is higher and it will mean less of a profit margin. With each movie costing more and having less profit coming in (everyone involved makes more, More robots, more hands in the pot, etc.), it will mean a quicker demise to the TF movie franchise.

I, for one, would like them to stay around as long as possible.

Is anyone in agreement? Disagreement?

Maybe Megatron or Bumblebee will get a spin-off movie. Ha. Yea, right

2. NGW

NGW Rawr

News Credits:
    Production cost and promotion cost are seperate things...I think >_>

3. Cory Bauer

Cory Bauer Well-Known Member

That one million dollars buys them 40 million viewers. Since they missed the boat on advertising in front of the winter films (not that there were any worthy of advertising in front of — Harry Potter and Star Trek are being held up till next summer), they need to get it out in front of people in another big way. Keep in mind that the advertising budget for most big blockbusters is usually around 30-40 million dollars, so a million dollars isn't really all that much.

And no, they can't save their advertising dollars and put them toward production instead.

4. transmetal2dinobot

transmetal2dinobot Sub-Commander

Ebay:
    where are you getting your figures for the movie budget? the movie cost 150million and took in something like 5 times that(including the IMAX release)
    and they sequel budget is about 300million
    such huge figures get under my skin, that people are willing to throw that much money into entertainment, but i guess you gotta break some eggs if you wanna make a good cake. an exploding cake.

EDIT: yes, production and promotion costs are seperate, production funds come from producers and studios, promotions usually come from distributors within the overall studio umbrella and sponsorship funds

5. samtheman

samtheman Well-Known Member

You didn't site how much money the put into advertising for TF07. IMO the Super Bowl is an incredibly smart place to advertise. Millions of people watch the Super Bowl and some, believe it or not, watch it just for the commercials.

I mean c'mon it's a much better choice then before a small time movie (cough Twilight cough cough) or during the Grammies. I mean out of the above options the Super Bowl is definitely their best bet at this point.

6. 13eelzebub

13eelzebub Well-Known Member

It cost 1.5 mill to make the first transformer movie? This is the live action film your talking about right? Not the 1986 one? o.@

7. cheetorBWORG

cheetorBWORG Cheetor Fan

News Credits:
    Yeah, considering the amount of people that watch the painfest that is footballs championship event, that 1-2 million dollars... it's going to multiply by 10 if they pull off a good trailer that will hype those who watch that sunday.

So, you're worrying too much, man. Too, too much.

8. 35InchMudders

35InchMudders Well-Known Member

He's not worrying too much, he's got his figures completely wrong. Like has already been mentioned, the first movie cost more like 150 Million, not 1.5...

His whole argument is based around it costing 1.5 mil to make, so... CLOSED anyone? ;) 

9. Gadep

Gadep Banned

News Credits:

yes :locked2:  this thread must go now!

10. Velcrohead

Velcrohead Banned

You obviously don't know a whole lot about the economics of movie-making, do you?

By the way, there's a reason why companies pay an assload for ads during the Super Bowl: THEY'RE WORTH IT.

:) 

11. Ash from Carolina

Ash from Carolina Junior Smeghead

It's not really a bad investment. You have all the people who watch the game themselves and it's become the grand event of all advertising. Because not only do you have the people who watched the game, but the ad generate what they used to call water cooler talk. In other words people who watch the ads tend to talk about the ads with co-workers, friends and family, who might not have watched the game.

So lets say they have a really buzz worthy trailer that's a contender for the unofficial best trailer title. Then you get not only the people watched the game but they will be out telling other people "dude, you've got to see this movie trailer". Heck a million might be fairly cheap considering not only the sports market but all the people then who will be looking for the ad because their buddy said it was cool.

Oh and the morning news shows love to talk about the super bowl ads so a got to see it trailer would get buzz from there as well.

12. NGW

NGW Rawr

News Credits:
    I don't even care for watching football all that much and I watch the Super Bowl...for the food and commercials.

13. manyoufactsure

manyoufactsure Maximal TFW2005 Supporter

I just got my decimal points WAY off and I don't know much about the economics of movies but even if it won't cost Hasbro anything, up front, the pay-back comes from somewhere. So hasbro might make a little less profit.

As for Superbowl commercials; Does anyone remember the origonal Hulk commercial. They really bombed that one so I hope they don't rush the cgi.

Thanks for the comments

14. Infil

Infil Well-Known Member

Considering how long they took for the trailer, I doubt the CGI is rushed