Super Street Fighter IV ULTRA Edition - red focus = IN-DE-STRUCTIBLE

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by atlianz, Dec 6, 2007.

1. Smasher

Smasher HUNKY BEATS

News Credits:
    I would be satisfied with that. I would like to see Ken fight in jeans and a T-shirt, or maybe more modern exercise clothes.

I also want to see Sean and Sakura more grown up with new moves.

I swear to God, if Chun Li is in this game looking to avenge her father against Bison, I will not play it.

2. MGX

MGX Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Bison is dead. Akuma killed him in SF2. By SF3, she had a new storyline and adopted a little girl.

3. RabidYak

RabidYak Go Ninja Go Ninja Go

No complaints here so far.

I'm certainly not going to cry EX, that shit was 7-10 years ago and ASW pulled this off with solid looking results last year.

4. Caterwaul

Caterwaul Busou Shinki Loremaster

I'm still more interested in the storyline. Yeah, I know that's never a REAL big point in Fighters, but Street Fighter always interested me. I wanna see what happened to everyone in the last 10 years or so. Ryu's pushing into the 40's by this point, is age effecting him? What about Ken's son and his other student? Did Guile's daughter ever do anything worth while? Where'd Sakura go?

It DOES look pretty though. They've advanced cell shading a heck of a lot.

5. Liege Prime

Liege Prime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I have to agree with Ktulu that in order to be a hit, they'd have to move to 3D. It looks good, but I would love to see it have a highly stylized look when in motion, almost like the early video we saw. Whatever the case- it's all about responsive controls. No way a street fighter would even be street fighter if it controlled like the more realistic but sluggish in comparison 3d fighters.

6. Smasher

Smasher HUNKY BEATS

News Credits:
    Where did you get that from? I assume you are piecing together bits and pieces of game endings but is there some source that claims any of that is canon?

Chun Li was looking for a little girl in Third Strike, but there was nothing that said she adopted her. And there was nothing that mentioned Street Fighter II at all in Street Fighter III except a reference to Chun Li's legs helping to take down "that organization".

ASW? Do you mean Arika? Super Dragon Ball Z?

I don't need the characters to have aged exactly as they would in real life, but I would like to feel like something happened.

I realize that the story in fighting games is down on the priority list, but I have always loved Capcom's Street Fighter characters and they do have some nice backstories, but it is frustrating to have the overall storyline completely ignored.

7. MGX

MGX Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    http://www.gamefaqs.com/coinop/arcade/file/583632/26094

That's the Street Fighter Plot Guide. The stuff that is canon and it also tells you what isn't...

http://www.gamefaqs.com/coinop/arcade/file/583725/25007

Here's Darkstalkers too, while I'm at it.

8. MGX

MGX Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    If they are even aging them any more. They might just keep everyone at their prime for as long as they can put out games.

9. Liege Prime

Liege Prime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I would like to see some good story thrown into the mix. Maybe have an arcade mode with just a small ending for each character like the older titles, and then throw in a World Tour mode like Alpha 3 that has much more story and character interaction between bouts. Speaking of which, I would love if they made another world tour mode with replayable challanges that allow you to build your characters stats, and then have seperate online modes with arcade only characters and then with custom leveled up characters. I guess I could go on with a laundry list of features I'd like.

Oh, and as far as people quoting story bits, I really only go by endings within the games. Since they can't all be canon, it's either up to the player, or SF4 will tell us what ending they went with from 3- if they include 3 as canon. Personally, I was always interpreted the ending of SF2 to be Ken and Ryu teaming up against Bison. Akuma was tacked on as "badass" evil character, and I don't really feel he fit in with the canon of SF2. Akuma was given a lot of granduer in the comics, but I wouldn't count those as canon for the games. Further more, SF3 was so out there in terms of characters, that I found it hard to believe it was the same universe as SF2, as outlandish as the characters already were.

10. RabidYak

RabidYak Go Ninja Go Ninja Go

Arc System Works, as in the folks that make Guilty Gear. They did a game last year called Battle Fantasia with a 3D graphics engine that specifically behaved like a proper 2D fighting game. Dimps took a stab at it before them as well with Rumble Fish,a althougth tht seems to be a bit rougth around the edges.

11. Smasher

Smasher HUNKY BEATS

News Credits:
    Coolness. I have never seen that game though.
    Time to go Youtubing.

Thanks for the link.
    However (and I don't mean to sound like a jerk), it looks like 15,000 words of fanwank.
    I seriously doubt Capcom is concerned where Saturday Night Slam Masters fits in a Street Fighter timeline.

12. drippy

drippy Well-Known Member

I tried skimming that thing...

I gave up before I even got to the plot.

13. Cheetatron

Cheetatron Drat, outsmarted by a Lorry, I am disgraced

Looks pretty badass though I'm a bit surprised though. I thought SF2HD was supposed to be a test for how well their audience would receive future SF games but they plan and develop SF4 before they can do any data mining SF2HD?

14. MGX

MGX Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    It isn't.

There is alot of material. Slam Masters had Haggar in it, Haggar was in Final Fight and Final Fight characters show up in Street Fighter. Basically, some of their games are inter related.

The easiest way to read it is to scroll to a character you want to read about. The FAQ complies EVERYTHING ever written about the Street Fighter capcomverse and sorts it out. Some things are actually canon, as backed up by Capcom of Japan. And the FAQ also calls out things that are wrong or changed.

15. Shin-Gouki

Shin-Gouki Retired Admln Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Handle):
    Pinterest:
    Looks like they shifted gears. Oh well as much as I would have loved a Hi-Rez 2-d game this is the best compromise that the business model will support. They have to go with Rendered Graphics these days to make a game profitable. Thankfully they stuck to their guns and are keeping the signature gameplay.

This also supports the new rumor that Capcom is working on a deal with Sega to be their Arcade Hardware supplier. Those Graphics look very Lindberg to me

16. ShockWave_AZ

ShockWave_AZ Shock and Awe

News Credits:
    Wait, wait, wait... Your telling me that Sega is still around?

:) 

17. Smasher

Smasher HUNKY BEATS

News Credits:
    Sega is still in the hardware business as far as arcades go -and that is primarily in Japan. There are rumors about them trying to reenter the home console hardware business, but I really don't see that hapenning.

Kotaku had some more pictures.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I am really not feeling great optimism after seeing the "Hurricane Kick" picture. Ken's face looks awful -looks like a triangle with hair on it.

18. smangerbot

smangerbot The Holy Zombie Jesus TFW2005 Supporter

he does look somewhat uncomfortable...

19. McBradders

McBradders James Franco Club! Veteran

09/09/09 - Dreamcast 2. Beleive!

20. Shipley

Shipley extremely online

News Credits:
    In all fairness a 60FPS game with hand drawn graphics would take a really, really, really long time to make. Rendering in real time not only makes more fluid movements, its a ton more efficient for the designers.