Super Star Wars (SNES)

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by Batman, Jan 5, 2011.

1. Batman

Batman The Dark Knight TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I got a Wii points card for Christmas and decided to download Super Star Wars.

It is just as great and frustratingly difficult as I remember. The inside of the damn Sandcrawler took me forever to finish.

Is anyone else here playing it, SESB or SROTJ ?

2. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    No. Once you've been to hell, you don't try to return, even if the sites are nice.

3. Atomsplitter

Atomsplitter Needs a new title.

Escaping the dammed Death Star 2 in SROTJ still haunts me. That was some tough shit, especially as a kid.

4. Spoiler

Spoiler Autobot Spoiler

News Credits:
    Ya know...it's funny. Games back then, there was no beating them...they would either be impossible, or they would get you far and hit you with an impossible level! I swear, they made these games to laugh at the people who wasted their money. Ghostbusters, Back to the Future, you can name all sorts of games back then, that you were lucky to get past the "EVIL" level... Games nowadays, it is all about how fast you can beat it, or how close to 100% complete you can get. There is no way to not beat games these days.

I did pick up all the Super Star Wars games on the Wii...played each for about 20 minutes before I was reaching for the non existant cartrige to throw.

5. seeker311

seeker311 The Collector

News Credits:
    I still have the original Super Star wars, Empire, and ROTJ; all with the boxes and booklets

6. Liege Prime

Liege Prime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I only ever rented Super Star Wars. I loved it, but the difficulty lead me to use a cheat code. I bought both Empire and Jedi, and while tough, were beatable compared to Super Star Wars. The Death Star Escape was killer though.

I still love the series, and owning a Genesis first, Super Star Wars was one of the games that got me to give in to getting the SNES. It's sound and mode 7 effects totally amazed me.

7. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Never used cheat codes on these, but Holy Shit I will never repeat that experience.

8. Sol Fury

Sol Fury The British Butcher Administrator News Staff

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Instagram:
    Got the originals. Won all three. Tough games but crazy fun and some of the best videogame representations of the trilogy.

I sort of wish for a similar approach on the modern trilogy - Revenge of the Sith would provide some great levels to play through.

9. Spoiler

Spoiler Autobot Spoiler

News Credits:
    What they needed to do, was make the trilogy in the game style of the Jedi Knight games. Like Outcast and Academy. The good ol first and third person style. We got all the space battle ones taken care of with Rogue Squadron.

10. Switch625

Switch625 "Up, up, and away!"

I had the originals and loved them all. We're planning on getting a Wii sometime this year and I'm happy that they're available for download.

11. RabidYak

RabidYak Go Ninja Go Ninja Go

I finished SSW legit at the time, but got prison raped by the other two and passed entirely on the Indy game.

12. McBradders

McBradders James Franco Club! Moderator

Wussies.

13. smangerbot

smangerbot The Holy Zombie Jesus TFW2005 Supporter

oh shit that indy game. there's a point where the boulder is rolling after you right at the beginning, i swear its the hardest video game thing ever.

14. Spoiler

Spoiler Autobot Spoiler

News Credits:
    BTTF Cafe would like a word with you...

15. AMG

AMG Old School

I still have Star Wars and Empire in my SNES collection. Did manage to finish Empire once, never beat Star Wars though. Great Games.

16. Counterpunch?

Counterpunch? Interior Renovator

Ebay:
    Empire was the most difficult and Jedi was the easiest. Star Wars was really just a matter of never ever ever losing your powered up blaster once you get it.

Funny though, because when I think back on those games, what I remember most is, "damn, sure is a long way back up now that I've fallen off the sand crawler..."

17. smangerbot

smangerbot The Holy Zombie Jesus TFW2005 Supporter

which one has the chewie sound effects in the option menu? i got a lot of mileage out of that.

18. Batman

Batman The Dark Knight TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I managed to finish SSW last night. Fuck it was hard. I didn't use any cheat codes, but I did do the 99 lives trick which came in handy on the last stage of the game.

19. Zeta Otaku

Zeta Otaku Who ya gonna call? TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    speaking of impossible games of the 80s and Back to the Future... was there anything even PAST the cafe? No one I know has ever made it past that part... ever! I remember seeing a SINGLE commercial where you see the DeLorean driving down a street, lighting being hurled at it as if it called Zeus a pussy... and to this day I am CONVINCED it was part of a different game.

I saw Ghostbusters mentioned... I beat that game several times... but only once did I do it legitimately. No game genie codes, no turbo controller, just pure skill and luck... mostly pure luck on those damned stairs. And I swear, the first time I beat the game, I thought it locked up on me. I started to cry... then I saw the ending screen... and I felt empty. EMPTY. Why did I continue to play it? I was (still am) a Ghostbusters fan... but mainly it was the 80s and amazingly fantastic games wouldn't enter my personal collection until the SNES was invented.

20. ZeroEdge

ZeroEdge Geass'd

News Credits:
    I remember making it to the end level of Super Return of the Jedi, but I could NEVER get past the ending sequence with the Falcon.

The first game was relentless though, I couldn't get past the Sand crawler level.