Super Smash Bros for Nintendo Switch

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by pinoy78, Mar 8, 2018.

1. CyberBlade507

CyberBlade507 Well-Known Member

I don't think three years should be a problem considering (from what I remember) the last games (I.e. 3DS and Wii U) only took about two or so years.

Edit: Did some checking on the development period.
    Earliest start of Smash Bros. 3DS/Wii U development: March 2012 after completion of Kid Icarus: Uprising
    Main game released (Wii U): December 2014

So less than three years from start to finish of the main game. And now it's been over three years since the last game was released. Even accounting for DLC (ignoring that a full development team is unlikely to have been working on just that), they could have started working on a new game as late as February 2016. It really seems like they have plenty of time to have created a new game.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2018
  2. marvel b

marvel b Bearer of the Matrix of Smash

News Credits:
    325.jpg

makes sense.
    in my opinion, it'll be a port if it uses a good chunk of assets from the wiiU/3ds games (all characters, stages, items, etc) but I can see things not making it through because of the version differences, like Smash tour/Run, the various trophy box...achievement things.... and a few other bits. like a "revision port"....

is this going to be the Smash communities equivalent of "retool/remold?" because I feel like it will be. :ev:  :duel 
    "fight for my amusement"

3. Eric

Eric Per sempre marciamo.

News Credits:
    I have to agree with marvel b on this, had it not been for Brawl, we may have never gotten Mega Man, Pac-Man, Bayonetta, Ryu, and Cloud for Smash 4. Once you start adding in characters from third-party companies, a lot of fans are gonna want more of them in future entries in the series.

That's...actually kind of a tough question to answer. One site that I had read stated that Sakurai's tweet regarding his involvement said that the game wouldn't be a port. However, it's only been over three years since Super Smash Bros. for 3DS/Wii U were released, and a big crossover fighting game series like Super Smash Bros. would have to take at least a few years to develop. It would also probably take some more time to add in third-party characters simply by getting the greenlight from said third party developers who want their character to fight the likes of Mario and Sonic. We've had large gaps between the releases of Melee and Brawl, and then Brawl and Smash 4. Then again, it only took Sakurai less than two years to develop Melee to release in late 2001 for the Gamecube after the success of the original Super Smash Bros. released for the Nintendo 64, so who knows.

If I had to hazard a guess as to what I believe Smash Switch will be, it may be a new game, but it will reuse assets from Smash 4. It's not uncommon for new games to reuse assets from previous installments. In fact, I think some of the trophies and Assist Trophies from Brawl were reused for Smash 4 without a lot of touch-ups.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Lazerwave

Lazerwave My Most Prized Treasure

News Credits:
    I'm just watching everyone's reaction videos on the announcnement of Smash Bros. Boy, there is a lot of excitement.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Dr Kain

Dr Kain Well-Known Member

I guess I just don't get the excitement. Every Smash Bros game has been the same thing over, just with new characters and a new control scheme.

6. Lazerwave

News Credits:
    Don't forget new locations.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Dr Kain

Dr Kain Well-Known Member

:lol 

8. Eric

Eric Per sempre marciamo.

News Credits:
    Let's not forget new items, new Assist Trophies, new regular trophies spanning Nintendo's history (along with a few non-Nintendo histories), and the obnoxious memes that spring up with every game's release. :p 

• Like Like x 1
  9. Mako Crab

Mako Crab Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Can we get Simon Belmont this time? I feel like he’s one (of a small handful) of the last major 3rd party characters from the NES era that has yet to join the party.

• Like Like x 5
  10. Lazerwave

News Credits:
    Plus the most important challenge of all...

New Controllers.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Mako Crab

Mako Crab Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    She’s definitely earned it. Love those games.

• Like Like x 3
  12. pinoy78

pinoy78 Shoji Kawamori having FUN

13. Gaastra

Gaastra Well-Known Member

News Credits:

• Like Like x 1
  14. excelhedge

excelhedge Overseer of Weird

News Credits:
    Why does everyone assume it's 5? It could just be a enhanced combined port of WiiU/3ds with new stuff like what they did for MK8 and Hyrule Warriors

• Like Like x 1
  15. Tigran

Tigran Well-Known Member

But there is no DX or Definitive Version suffix added. And they've had no problems indicated the enhanced ports before.

Also, BoTW link is an indication, as does the theme that plays in the trailer.

Right -now- *this can change* there is more evidence to it being a new game, than a deluxe port. *Which as of right now, we literally have NO evidence for*

16. Deathcatg

Deathcatg Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Belly Dance Transformation Magic for the Win!

• Like Like x 1
  17. marvel b

marvel b Bearer of the Matrix of Smash

News Credits:
    that's my vote. going patrick for this!
    they could add the text afterwards... i mean, technically, super smash bros doesn't have a suffex, just explaining what system they're on, if you think about it...

i'd also like to point this bit out, that whenever a NEW game gets released, they overhaul the old smash bros website to fit the new, but like i said with the text, they could just edit it once the next info bit drops. i'd prefer if it was a dx port, but i will accept a new game as well.

....what if....it's BOTH a sequel AND a port?!?!?! *mind blown*

18. E. C. R. Former

E. C. R. Former Is probably insane...

Given that Konami owns Simon, I'm sorry to say that the conclusion I'm going to give is not a chance (which is a shame). Same deal with Solid Snake who's a character I would love to see return but alas, its too unlikely.

Hmm, given how I was the one going on a tangent about not wanting third party saturation I'm starting to feel like a tad bit a hypocrite now. Oh well.

As for roster, I also definitely want Ice Climbers and Wolf to return. For newcomers, my personal picks are the following: Decidueye, Rex with Pyra/Mythra, K. Rool, Dixie Kong. Inklings were on that list but they've already been confirmed. I'm not entirely sure if I want a playable ARMS character or not, mostly because it would most likely be Springman and Ribbongirl at the cost of other more interesting characters. I can easily see ARMS characters as assist trophies though. You know, now that I think about it, we're really starting to exhaust the options for new first party entries into the game. Guess I'll have to brace myself to the fact that most lists are going to filled with third party characters now.

While I would prefer that no character gets cut from the game, if there is one (and I don't know if I'll get hate for this or not) I would prefer it be Bayonetta. Alas, with Bayonetta 1 & 2's recent rerelease on Switch and Bayonetta 3 on the horizon, I don't see that happening.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2018
    • Like Like x 1
  19. Gaastra

Gaastra Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I'm sure they will be in. Bet they will be like animal crossing and you can swap one for the other. Nintendo is really pushing arms. I'll be shocked if they are not in it.

Ice climbers I would love back. Don't give a crap about fox clone 3 but if they put wolf in I won't cry over it. I just don't care about him.

Wonder if we will get linkle (or any of the HW cast) or captain toad or the xbc2 cast this time?

• Like Like x 1
  20. MetalRyde

MetalRyde is an a-hole with a heart.

Can't decide if the characters I'm thinking of should be assist characters, 3 new separate characters or a new special attack for Link.

Goron Link, Zora Link and Deku Link from Majora's Mask.

And Paper Mario.

• Like Like x 1