Super Robot Wars kits

Discussion in 'The Toyark' started by Scourge_151, Oct 23, 2006.

1. Scourge_151

Scourge_151 Dangerous when naked! TFW2005 Supporter

Anyone built any of the SRW model kits from Kotobukiya? I have the original generation game on my DS and I'm being severely tempted by the kits now, how do they hold up agains the smaller gundam kits (only ones I've experience of), I'm looking at the 1/144s so how big are they completed and hows the posability to boot?

2. LigerPrime

LigerPrime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I have no recollection of the model kits you're talking about so the most I can help with you is the size. 1/144 isn't that a large scale and its shorter than the average Marvel Legend figure...less than 6 inches. I do have some "High Grade" Gundam model kits but have not taken any pictures of them.

Below is a picture I took quite awhile back and if you're interested in the scale of 1/144, the second last largest Gundam is from the Gundam Fix series; which folks are saying is 1/144 scale. Hope that helps with the scale. Regarding articulation...I won't have too high hopes on them as the size alone limits them.

[​IMG]

3. Scourge_151

thanks for the size guide, I've built a HGUC before so i had a rough idea
    bump to see if anyone has built any actual SRW kits though, examples being:

Alteisen
    Weissritter
    Gespenst Mk2

4. LigerPrime

News Credits:
    I'm afraid I can't help you because none of the folks I know have built that particular series.

5. Chaos Convoy

Chaos Convoy Dai Gurren-Dan member

News Credits:
    They're all about the size of 1/144 Gundams, yeah..so about 4 inches tall. I still say they're worth it. Especially since the only other "toys" you can buy of these are the PVC figures..and they regularly go for $100+.

I'm waiting for the Huckebein Boxer and Daizengar. Although I do need an Alt too.

I think they're making an R-1. But I'm not sure about R-2 or R-3..or if they combine into the SRX.

6. thor20

thor20 Omnibot

The scale is different for these kits. I've seen a comparison somewhere but don't remember where. Also 17 cm is 1/100 scale territory for Gundam kits.

7. Scourge_151

found a review on robot japan of the 1/144 Wildwurger which also helpfully has a comparison with a 1/100 MG kit size-wise.

8. Phy

Phy I want... ROOM SERVICE!!

News Credits:
  9. Scourge_151

wow, they're pretty snazzy even unpainted!

10. LigerPrime

News Credits:
    Wow! Cool links! By the way, what's that MG Gundam in the 2nd link? Where can I find more information on it?

11. Emperor Mengde

Emperor Mengde Instrumentalist

That's the extra finish version of the MG OYW Gundam that's in the first picture in this thread. Here's the link to the review on dalong. MG OYW Extra Finish Version Gundam

12. LigerPrime

News Credits:
    Oh whoa! Thanks man! That kit looks awesome! Where can I get him? Ebay? By the way, its not chromed yes?

13. mx-01 archon

mx-01 archon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I'm not sure you quite understand the concept of scale. What determines the kit's size is the actual size of the object the kit is supposed to represent. The average Gundam stands about 18m tall, so a 1/144 scale kit should be about 12.5cm tall (5 inches). HLJ says 17cm, or 6.7 inches. Same scale, bigger kit. Means that the actual mecha is meant to stand about 24.5m tall, much larger than the average Gundam.

14. LigerPrime

News Credits:
    I know what you're trying to get with the scale thingy. Example, the 1/100 Valks released by Toynami are smaller than the 1/100 Master Grade Gundams in relation to the actual thingy.

My bad. I'm so used to the Gundam scales (as with other collectors in my country) that we simply use Gundam model kits as the standard scale.

15. Scourge_151

Felt it was better to resurrect an old thread than start a new one, I ordered the Alteisen and the Weissritter from HLJ, Weissritter arrived yesterday and I built it last night (pics to follow when I get home from work).

It may only be a 1/144 kit (near the size of my HGUC 1/144 Ex-S I think but bigger then the smaller Wing kits) but I'm almost certain it took me longer than my MG Freedom to build, a lot of small parts to fit on. They really made a big effort to make the kit look near-prefect without paint and it does!!
    Posability is OK in the legs (mech design hampers it a little) but the arms are very well jointed: shoulder joint, bicep twist, elbow twist and pivot and ball joint for the wrist.
    Has a few different hands: open, closed, hand for beam sword and hand for Oxtongue rifle (BFG).

Overall I'm very impressend with the quality and finish of the kit, the instructions are well done also, it was a nice challenge to build and I'm very much looking forward to Alteisen turning up now :) 
    Wouldn't reccomend it to anyone who hasn't built an MG-level kit before as it is quite a long assembly and ther a lot of small parts to put together.

16. LigerPrime

News Credits:
    Dude, remember to post pictures!!! Will you be painting the kits? Or do the kits look good without paint?

17. Scourge_151

only thing that could really use it is the BFG but it looks fine and accurate without IMO

18. Emperor Mengde

Emperor Mengde Instrumentalist

Sorry it took so long to get back to you, didn't see this...Anyway, it looks like it has that almost powder coat looking plastic and coating, rather than the regular shiny electroplate (like on Transformers). And I would think eBay or Yahoo Japan would be the places to get it, since it is a limited kit.

19. Scourge_151

ok pics up:

[​IMG]
    parts out of the box

[​IMG]
    eyes painted for me, no stickers here, as you can see the parts are still in the bag!

[​IMG]
    one arm done...

[​IMG]
    all done, and remember this is UNpainted, every bit that is a different colour is a separate part!!

20. Alpha

Alpha I saved the internet.

WOW!It looks nice. BTW, where's the guns?