Super Mario Galaxy 2

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by Blackout32, May 18, 2010.

1. Easterling Capt

Easterling Capt I am Vern Schillinger

Ebay:
    16 more days untill relesed in sweden...bahhhh

2. Optimus_Prime

Optimus_Prime Roll out!

Finally got SMG2 and NSMB. $15 for NSMB was just too good to pass up considering I've been wanting to play that with the kids since Christmas (was sold out everywhere just after xmas when we went looking for it, and then waited for a sale that never came).

Probably going to open up NSMB tomorrow, but do you think it's worth playing through SMG1 before we open SMG2? I'm tempted on holding that one for one of their birthdays later this year (they don't know I bought the games). I never played the first and I think my oldest son got bored with it (or got stuck). My younger son plays it every once in awhile and just the other night was playing Super Mario All-Stars on the SNES. :) 

3. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
  4. E. C. R. Former

E. C. R. Former Is probably insane...

SMG1 is awesome. However, it most certainly is not necessary to play through it before SMG2. Galaxy 2 is absolutely awesome as a stand alone game. Its all up to you but SMG2 is perfectly fine on its own.

If you're thinking about it in terms of plot, SMG2 generally appears on the premise that SMG1 either never happened or the characters don't remember the events (looking more likey to be the latter). However, its pretty much kept vague enough so that maybe the characters do remember the events of SMG1 but just aren't putting too much emphasis on it.

5. Eric

Eric VOTE.

News Credits:
    That's pretty much what I thought when I beat the game today.
    Mario and Peach didn't say anything about where the hell Rosalina's been between the two games when the game ends. She just appears, says that Bowser attacked, and the Lumas got separated, and the Luma that follows Mario goes back to her at the end.
    And to be honest...

It feels more like an add-on. The entire game feels like playing Super Mario Galaxy 1 again, only with more levels, the ability to play as Luigi in some areas without having to get 120 stars first, Yoshi, new enemies, some cool new music, and power-up items. I mean, SMG2 is pretty awesome, and it's fun to play...but it just feels like DLC that was too big to fit in the first game. I'm a bit irritated, but it's still a good game.

6. Haloid1177

Haloid1177 Hey, That's Pretty Good

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    I too beat the main part of the game last night, and am finishing up all the stars.

I do have a question though. I beat SMG1 last Saturday, and when Peach and Mario finally came home, they woke up. The way they didn't mention anything about all that had happened, I thought they had forgot about it, like nothing happened. At least that's what I am going with, since it makes SMG2's story a little better.

7. Mister D

Mister D Bloosh Compatible

I don't think I've ever butstomped a goombah for its inherent value to the storytelling process.

Give me another 30 hours or so of Mario platforming, and I'll take it. Galaxy was good enough that "add on" shouldn't be an insult. There is no need to reinvent what works.

8. E. C. R. Former

Oh I agree. Bowser kidnaps Peach and Mario heads out to the rescue. BOOM! That's all you need in a Mario platforming game for plot.

9. Mister D

Don't misunderstand me - I'd love to see some variations in the story - a villain different than Bowser for example (biggest disappointment in Mario Sunshine IMO), or a kidnapped babe. But the key is not to make it a plot driven game. The plot is just giving the framework. A new villain, for example, would allow new enemies. Maybe reverse the story, have Mario be the one kidnapped, and the game be about his escape and eventual take down of the baddie. Its a small thing that would change the tone of the game, and some of the level design,but by andlarge, it would still be a fat plumber working his way through a bitching obstacle course.

10. Haloid1177

Haloid1177 Hey, That's Pretty Good

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    As any video game company would say:

"Don't fix a game formula that is great to begin with."

11. Mister D

That's why you have play testers and years of development. Try something new, and scrap it if it doesn't work.

For me, one of the biggest problems with Mario Sunshine was that they defaulted back to Bowser after introducing "dark Mario." I didn't see any benefit there, and I think it hurt the game as the final level was pretty lackluster.

Anyway, back to SMG2, I just started playing yesterday, and made it to the wood block world today. Bloody brilliant, IMO. And the 2D gravity worlds are a blast as always.

12. ViperDragon

ViperDragon Well-Known Member

I would love to see Mrs. Bowser as the villain. Heck, throw in a plot about the Bowser Family Reunion!

13. RabidYak

RabidYak Go Ninja Go Ninja Go

That stuff writes itself.

Peach's Castle

[Knock Knock]

Toad - Hello?

Mrs Bowser - I'm looking for Princess Peach, is she in?

Toad - Hold On. PRINCESS, THERES A KOOPA AT THE DOOR FOR YOU!

Peach - Dammit Bowser, how many times do I hav...

[PUNCH]

Mrs. Bowser - STAY OUT OF MY BUSINESS BITCH!

14. Blackout32

Blackout32 ANTHRAX - PERSISTENCE OF TIME

Cybertron The Matrix of leadership knowledge,power
    Twitter:
    YouTube (Legacy):
  15. Gaastra

Gaastra Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Here's a trick if you need extra lives. Go to the megasize galaxy (the one were everythings big) and get the part were you are on a small planet with 3 giant koopa troopa's. Don't get the drill. Jump on the back of one of them and push over to stay on when it moves. You will start to get extra lives! You can get 99 lives really easy!

Try it!

16. E. C. R. Former

Its certainly a useful trick. However, to be honest, I kinda find it redundant: every time you save and quit you end up back with 4 lives. Just like in Super Mario Galaxy 1, there are enough 1-ups scattered throughout the hub to give you about 12~14 lives, and to be honest I generally find that to be enough to make it through a stage or two.

17. Blackout32

Blackout32 ANTHRAX - PERSISTENCE OF TIME

Cybertron The Matrix of leadership knowledge,power
    Twitter:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Thanks for the tip on SMG 2.

18. Wheeljack_Prime

Wheeljack_Prime Searching for the Infin-Honey Stones

News Credits:
    Just got this a few days ago. already on ~65 stars after 4 days (Only playing 2 -3 hours per day). This game rules.