Super Mario Brothers 2.

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by HordakFan, Nov 30, 2011.

1. HordakFan

HordakFan Banned

Who else finds this game underrated? i do! it's been called the black sheep of the Mario games (either that or Super Mario Land).

I loved this game since i got it for my NES when i was 7 when it came out including Zelda II (Another game series black sheep) since i loved the first one when i got my NES for my 6th birthday and i thought this was better than the first.

However i did research later in my teens when i used the net and found out that America's SMB 2 was NOT the actual SMB 2 but rather a Mario enhanced version of a Japanese game called Doki Doki Panic when the original was more like the original but only difficult, but that was a clever move.

2. The Barracuda

The Barracuda Retro, bitches.

This is a fantastic game and always will be. I know it's just slightly changed from Doki Doki Panic (I actually have the original Famicom disk game) and though some may question the choice made by the higher-ups, it doesn't make it any less enjoyable. As much as I would've loved to play the Japanese version of SMB2, this game is forever cemented as a part of my childhood. I'd love Nintendo to give Subcon another visit in these 2-D remakes. I'd love to fight Wart again, or Tryclyde, or Mouser, or Fryguy and Clawgrip.

3. QuinJester

QuinJester T. Bison

News Credits:
    It's up there as one of my favorite Mario games.

I used to speedrun the game for fun when I was younger. I knew every aspect, every warp, every jump and every vegetable of the game up, down and sideways. Good times.

4. Rewind

Rewind Space Hipster

News Credits:
    I can still jump, crouch and slide my way through the ice world with my eyes closed. Easily the Mario game I've played the most - it's downright therapeutic.

5. TheIncredibleHulk

TheIncredibleHulk Find Gary Busey!

I love SMB2

6. MidnightBliss

MidnightBliss Well-Known Member

I loved that game. I remember a glitch on the NES version that would make 2 Mousers appear.

7. Blackout32

Blackout32 Subdivisions

So did anyone buy the Mario package set that came with the all the marios except my fav which was mario land. If you did then you seen that Mario lost levels was in their so go and try and play THAT game cause its really really tough. If you havn't heard about it do a search on mario games for the Wii and it will come up in a red box. Can't rememeber the exact name cause I am so lazy to go get that game and type it all out lol.

8. Joe Moore

Joe Moore Is Not Jim... Administrator

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    I think SMB2 is a fantastic game. Great design, excellent graphics for its time, great music. My personal favorite version being the Gameboy Advance version, which was beautifully redone. One of the best platformers of the NES era. However, I do not think it's a great "Mario" game, which is understandable since it originally wasn't a Mario game. But that doesn't change how enjoyable a game it is.

9. Starfire22

Starfire22 Wall crawling menace!

News Credits:
    While SMB3 is my all time favorite mario game, SMB2 has kind of grown on me (thanks to the all stars pack), but I still hate those flying faces.

10. gil

gil Godmaster

Wart and Mouser needs to return to the Mario franchise. At least in the Mario Kart games.

11. Liege Prime

Liege Prime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I think it's a great game. I loved it back when it came out and didn't think twice about it being Mario 2- it was to me. Also, everyone else I know thought it was great, I don't really know anyone who thinks otherwise.

That, along with Castlevania 2, TMNT and Zelda 2 were all considered great in there time but thanks to metacriticizing on the internet they somehow got bad reps.

12. Easterling Capt

Easterling Capt I am Vern Schillinger

Ebay:
    Castlevania 2 suffers from faulty rpograming were you can in the midst of nowere just fall down in a hole and die. Other then that Castlevania 2 is great but 3 is even better.

I lvoe MArio 2 even though it was not a MArio gam in Japan if I remeber correctly, lost levels is the real Mario 2.

13. Liege Prime

News Credits:
    I've never experienced falling in a hole and dying unless it was a hole intended to kill me. If anything, CV2 suffered from basically requiring a guide since the clues to some of the things you had to do were too cryptic. As a kid I guess that didn't bother me, and even without the internet, word of mouth seem to spread enough so everyone helped eachother and knew what to do. CV2 still stands as my favorite NES Castlevania, mainly because it I enjoyed the exploration.

14. Easterling Capt

Easterling Capt I am Vern Schillinger

Ebay:
    luckey you then ;) , It has happend to me a few times in the 80s and it was even emntioned in a article in a swedish gaming magazin when they hade a Castlevania special for Lord of Darkness. But yeah Simon Quest is good hard but I prefer 3 on the Nes.

OVerall though few Castlevania games are as lovely and great as Super Castlevania for SNES. That game is probbaly my favorit and the one I can play anythime. That is why I have it on my Wii.

15. Liege Prime

News Credits:
    I LOVE Super Castlevania 4. It takes second place to only Symphony of the Night in the CV series, but honestly I consider SOTN my favorite game overall.

16. HordakFan

HordakFan Banned

Yes Zelda II and Resident Evil 4 can also be considered black sheeps in their series but they were great games with fresh new stuff that made them addictive.