Super Mario 3D Land

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by Prowl, Nov 13, 2011.

1. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Picked this up today. Loving it. The 3D is used in such clever ways. Finally and original game for the 3DS.

2. The Primes

The Primes Well-Known Member

I've done the first 5 worlds along with getting all the Star Medals so far, and I wasn't sure how it would hold up to the Galaxy games, since I just replayed the first one last night in anticipation for this. I'm incredibly surprised by how well 3D Land holds up to Galaxy. While it's not quite as innovative as Galaxy, the controls and level design all feel quite different from previous 3D Mario games. It really is a perfect hybrid of the gameplay from 2D Mario and 3D Mario. On top of that, EAD has come up with levels just as diverse and creative as those in the Galaxy games.

It's easily the best Mario platformer made for a handheld (I believe the only ones are Super Mario Land, Super Mario Land 2, New Super Mario Bros., and Super Mario 3D Land).

3. Ribieconvoy

Ribieconvoy It's pronounced "ribby"

News Credits:
    I racked up about 470 lives using the good ol' fashion koopa shell trick, then got to about world 4, almost the end. I haven't died once yet, except one time when somebody called me and I took my eyes off the screen for a sec, but I had to shut the game off anyways. So as far as the game knows, I haven't died yet :p  . I've made the game last a lot longer by going back and getting every star medal and getting a gold flag (hitting the top of the pole) every stage. Also, I heard that if you die less than five times on each stage, you get a special bonus at the end of the game, so there's something to try for.

4. Gigatron_2005

Gigatron_2005 President of Calendars

Picked it up today. I must say, I felt the first world was a bit dull, but its been picking up quite a bit since then. A very fun game so far. Graphics look really nice. I sometimes think it looks better than the Galaxy games. I think my only complaint is that I would have liked to see multiple stars in each level, like in SM64 and the Galaxy games.

As a side note, I really love how you can change the 3D between pop-out and depth 3D. Very awesome. I hope more games give us that option in the future.

5. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    shut up, that works here?? What level?

6. Lazerwave

Lazerwave My Most Prized Treasure

News Credits:
    I hope to get one for Christmas.

7. G1Wheeljack

G1Wheeljack Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Planning to get a 3DS either on Black Friday or for the holidays, either this or Ocarina of Time 3D will be my first game for it.

8. Gigatron_2005

Gigatron_2005 President of Calendars

You can get a good bundle pack with this game and a red 3ds or Zelda and a black 3ds. The Zelda 3ds has a awesome gold design on the lid. I'm jealous of it.

9. Ribieconvoy

News Credits:
    The one easiest for me is on world 4-1. As soon as you start going up the platforms on the left, there will be a wall with a small pond in front of it. On a platform in front of the pond there is a koopa. Wait for him to get close the the leftmost wall, and jump on him. Now you'll see another platform near the back wall that has a brick in the back wall. kick the shell straight towards that platform. Let the goombas in the pond walk into the shell, then as it's bouncing between the edge of the platforms, jump on it. If you jump in the right spot Mario will continually bounce over and over without any need for pressing buttons. Just keep an eye on time, I usually stop and go for the flagpole when time gets to around 200-175. It sounds complicated, but once you see it you'll understand. And yes, 470 lives. I guess it goes to 999 in this game, not 99.

10. The Primes

I just stopped playing for today. I've done the first 6 worlds and gotten all the star medals so far. I also spent a ton of time just messing around in levels I already completed.

11. bignick1693

bignick1693 Maximal

News Credits:
    PETA is saying this game is saying you should wear fur and that it not right. Lol I didn't know dressing up as a raccoon is wrong. I'm not kidding look it up on google.

12. prime326

prime326 Autobot Leader

News Credits:
    My wife got me it for xmas yesterday. Killing me I have to wait to play it.

13. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Seriously?? They are really saying that? It's a bloody costume. That's like implying that if I killed a racoon outside that I could fit into its skin and look like a racoon. It's not even logical. I suppose that kid dressed as a Jedi for Halloween was implying that he'd like to kill a human being and wear his skin as him dressed as a jedi.

14. The Primes

15. Ribieconvoy

News Credits:
    As much as I'd like to chime in, I think if the discussion goes any further it may delve into territory we're not supposed to talk about according to the rules, and I like browsing this site :thumb  I just got to World 8 and did the castle, but I won't spoil what comes afterwards (Hint: not the end). I've gotten every star coin and hit the top of every flagpole. I also have 675 lives stacked up. I'm trying to do a no-death run, so I just reset every time I die (I didn't say continuous no-death run :p ) and go back to 4-1 to get more lives every once in a while so I can max the meter out.

16. x BlackMagnus x

x BlackMagnus x Is not impressed

News Credits:
    Lol, I wonder if it matters that it's actually a tanooki (Tanuki - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia), at least Nintendo left out the giant testes.

EDIT:Nvm, just saw this post-
    Still, no balls.:) 

17. The Primes

I beat the final boss a little while ago. Without giving anything away, it didn't wow me, but it was pretty damn fun. Plus it's not a repeat of earlier boss fights like in the other 3D Mario games, which is definitely a plus.

18. CrypticIllusionist

CrypticIllusionist Well-Known Member

Well, at least it's pretty much confirmed that they're just desperately looking for targets at this point; considering they're about 25 years late to the party on this one.

19. Ribieconvoy

News Credits:
    Oh man, that boss battle was SPECTACULAR. I don't wanna give anything away either, but let's just say seeing a white-hot fireball so close to Mario it could burn his hat off practically come out of my screen at the last second was nerve wracking fun.

20. MetalRyde

MetalRyde is an a-hole with a heart.

so, this game. its good right? something i should spend my money on this weekend?