Super Hero Rehauls

Discussion in 'Comic Books and Graphic Novels' started by Vorked, Aug 1, 2012.

1. Vorked

Vorked Member

We all know Deadpool gets a major rehaul every few years, but this newest one, done by Daniel Way, really cheesed me off. Sure, he has been unbearable for the past two years, but now it is just getting ridiculous. The last anything Deadpool was in that was actually good, and not just "Lolsorandumb look at me guys" was the Alex Hayden run.
    Now he is a pretty boy with no facial and body scars. This means his whole megacancer thing is no longer in to play. I really don't like how everyone is being turned in to the most absolute beautiful heroes, especially if they were mishapen, ugly, or what have you. There is less and less dynamic range in characters now.
    I am getting off topic, let me rerail myself.
    How do you guys feel about how characters are always changed to try to appeal to other mediums, while they usually ignore fans? Is this what you feel they do? How do you view character changes when they are this large?

2. smkspy

smkspy is one nice fucking kitty

I like Pie.

3. Wreckgar

Wreckgar Anthony Stark Veteran

News Credits:
    its something that needs to be done to keep the characters fresh. The same old thing month after month for years just gets boring. Think about it, DD has been around for what, close to 15 years? He needs something to reignite the flame. I personally dropped it a while back but I also appreciate they are trying to keep people interested. The same thing goes for every book.

Jim Rhodes becomes Iron Man
    Spiderman is no longer married
    Batman was Dick Geryson
    Superman dies

It can go on and on.

4. Star Saber

Star Saber Cybertron 5th Commander

News Credits:
    While I personally don't like huge overhauls, I've learned to accept them. It's a cycle in the comics industry, they need these things to "stay fresh". One very important thing for me though is the writing. DC and Marvel has shown us a lot of overhauls in the past few decades, with some being great successes (i.e. Wally West as Flash, Kyle Rayner as Green Lantern, Dick Grayson as Batman, Bucky as Cap, the X-Men relaunch of the early 90s), but also a bunch I feel are duds (i.e. Bart Allen as Flash, Electro Superman, Teen Tony Stark, Angel Punisher). These days I feel a lot of things are just part of stunt events, and less driven by creative intentions, which leaves me wary. Anyone remember Joe Quesada hyping up the "Spider-Man reveals his secret ID" story and saying this would allow them to tell all sorts of new stories? Yeah that well dried up pretty quickly.