Customs: Super-Glued Parts and dissassembling them? (TM2 Megatron)????

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by Corbet, Apr 28, 2007.

1. Corbet

Corbet Wanderer

I'm trying to fix TM2 Megatron's left leg. Basically around the area where his foot connects to the leg the plastic broke. In order to do this I'm trying to take apart the knee half with the wheel. Problem is when I take the 2 screws out the part still isn't splitting in half! I've tried alot of force and really have no idea what to do.

I can only assume Hasbro super glued this part for whatever reason. Does anyone have any advice on splitting this part without damaging? I'd love to fix this guy because he is very cool.

2. manyoufactsure

manyoufactsure Maximal TFW2005 Supporter

The thighs have been superglued the entire length of the mating area. The one that I took apart (and other toys with superglue) have popped apart with a little leverage and the glue, seperating, did not damage the plastic. I have always jammed a knife or screwdriver in the seam but it usually leaves a widened area where I had to force the tool in.
    My pieces of TM2 Megs, thigh, does not show alot of pry marks so that means it must have come apart fairly easy but one has been damaged where it attaches to the foot (one side of slot is missing). Just don't jam a screwdriver of knife into your hand. Place it on a surface that won't be harmed if you slip and if you use a knife, don't use a really sharp one.

I would assume that the knee is attached in the same fashion. The knees would be easier to pry apart since you can pry from the inside. Just don't pry against the little wheel piece or you might snap that off. I have two whole Knees and feet if you want to make a deal to purchase them, if you can't fix yours. Let me know.

Hope this helps and good luck fixing him.

3. manyoufactsure

Is this the correct pieces your looking for? Is the knee, the one thats seperated or the piece with the foot?
    [​IMG]

4. Corbet

Corbet Wanderer

Yes, separated part(s) with the wheel is what broke and what I'm trying to fix/replace but it's the wrong leg, I believe that is the right, I need Meg's left when in dragon mode.

My pics:

The piece in question:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I'm also looking for a screw for the part that actually connects to megatron's body. the highest part of the leg has 3 smaller screws compared to the rest of the legs screws and I'm missing one for some reason.

5. plowking

plowking I'm with ErechOveraker. Veteran

News Credits:
    Along the lines of what Manyoufactsure has said, I have successfully got these types of parts to come apart the same way.
    I use my razor knife and repeatedly scribe the seam line, eventually you'll get them to seperate with (if any) minimal damage.
    I've ran into this problem with the Alt Jeep molds, the lower "calf" is pinned and glued...my razor knife has worked everytime.

Just be careful!!

6. manyoufactsure

Here's a suggestion. The KO TM2 Megs is very close in size (but I don't know how close in color since I only have the green ones) but you could use one of them for a replacement part plus a little work. For the knees, the two screw holes line up good (ko/origonal)but the small pin is out of alignment. You could use one or both pieces from a KO but the hip piece is very loose on the KO post. You would have to add some nail polish or epoxy to snug up the fit so he could hold his knee in position. The screws are close in size but they have a brassy finish.

Hope that helps. later.

Edit: There isn't any glue holding the knees together on the KO.