Customs: Super Glue Plastic Fusion Help! Not drying?

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by deliciouspeter, Apr 8, 2009.

1. deliciouspeter

deliciouspeter Back in Black TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Hello friends,

I had a bit of a glue issue this week. I have used Plastic Fusion quite a bit, with great success, but this last one has me stumped.

I applied it to a few small pieces, but some are odd shaped, so the glue filled in those gaps. The glue in the gaps is a soft rubbery texture, and it has been drying for over a week now. The pieces seem secure, though, so I think the contact points have adhered.

The tricky thing is paint is not sticking to it. I discovered it when I sprayed a light coat of krylon fusion on it. It stuck to everything, but the glue parts, and that just flaked away, and got gummy.

The only thing I can figure is that it is a bit colder lately. I have the toy in my basement, which is probably around 58-65 degrees. It's heated, but not as well as the rest of the apartment.

My mixing surface/scrap has dried hard. This is usually how I gauge that it will be dry.

2. frenzyrumble

frenzyrumble Banned

News Credits:
    You might have not mixed the stuff exactly 1:1, that's what happens. I notice I get that sometimes also, the tubes will have bubbles in 1 side, not the other, and when you eject some epoxy, your ratio ends up being off.

3. defstar

defstar Autobot...

If you're having to fill a lot of gaps with the glue (as in this case)...use super glue's gel glue...it comes in the exact same packaging/container type as plastic fusion but it's the green handle (not purple)...

For me this stuffs works better than the fusion...

4. deliciouspeter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Thanks guys. I pulled the glue out and started over. 1:1 as close as I could get (two pea sized balls!) and start again.

I'm using some super glue gel for smaller parts, but I went with Fusion for the big bulky parts. Seems to be very strong adhesion though.

5. deliciouspeter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Update: Worked much better this time, and dried hard within hours. I honestly think it was the cold/damp basement.

Also...I found a small pocket of rubbery Fusion that I couldn't get out, so I dabbed a little Krazy Glue on it, and it solidified quite a bit. IF this ever happens to you, maybe try that.

6. frenzyrumble

frenzyrumble Banned

News Credits:
    might I ask, where are you getting the plastic fusion from super glue? I can't seem to find it other than online, and my supplier's now out of it. been using Devcon, which is almost as good.

7. TonyzCustomz

TonyzCustomz Am I doin it rite? TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Yeah definitely eyeball it for 1:1 ratio. Was using Fusion on Leader Megs and the same thing happened, stayed rubbery and wasnt sticky at all. Problem I see is not pushing on the plunger equally and on of the parts does come out slower than the other.

The only places I have ever seen it was at Home Depot and online at Amazon. Home Depot had them in the paint section though which I thought was kinda weird.

8. DanHibiki

DanHibiki Dan Couga Mellencamp

How humid is your area?

9. frenzyrumble

frenzyrumble Banned

News Credits:
    Yeah, that was home depot in Cali though, I don't think the tri-state area (here) is allowed to sell it, though super glue rep promises they should.

10. deliciouspeter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Chicago, so it's basically a swamp.

F_R, I'm getting it an Ace Hardware. They have a glue section on lockdown, I think I'm the only one who buys it. I think Ace Hardwares are independently owned, so they can all stock differently. This one syringe has lasted me some time though.

11. frenzyrumble

frenzyrumble Banned

News Credits:
    thanks. I think it's a regulation here in the tri-state area which keeps some of the stores from stocking it, at least that's what the dude in Home Depot's told me. I use the stuff like mad....just on this current project, I've blown through about 6 of them :(