Customs: Super glue and transformers.

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by Dark Magnus, Apr 13, 2007.

1. Dark Magnus

Dark Magnus Your opinion is wrong!

Ebay:
    Hey guys,
    I figure this is an appropriate forum to ask this question in...

I've had a couple of figures break on me of late and I want to fix them with superglue. Are there any drawbacks to using superglue that I should know about? I've heard stories of super glue wrecking havoc on transformer pieces and don't want to risk ruining the figures completey. Especially since one of the broken figures is the SuperLink "Fireguts" convoy magazine exclusive.

I was TFing him and one his knees joints broke! Hopefully I can fix it, I'm not terribly concerned with full functionality of the knee, I just don't his leg falling apart every time I look at him wrong.

If superglue isn't the way to go, anyone have any advice on what adhesive is the best to fix my banged up soldiers.

2. SoundWave2007

SoundWave2007 Well-Known Member

ive worked alot with citadel plastics in the past soim not sure about transformers plastic but i have found using superglue was too thick and didnt actually create a permanent bond. what i have found to work well is a liquid plastic cement which actually will to a degree melt the plastic slightly at the point of application (do both pieces to be attached) and it was basically remelt the plastic into one piece.
    i used to build and paint warhammer 40k models and this stuff was the best for building the models, so like i said im not sure how it would work on transformers, but you could always find a really broken one and test it on a small area to see what effect it might have.

3. robotsongs

robotsongs Active Member

I wouldn't use superglue-- when it outgasses it'll leave a nasty white haze most of the time. Devcon plastic weld is great stuff that's super strong. Try that on something that's not important to you first and see if you like it. Not quite as fast, but fast enough and super strong!

4. TJOmega

TJOmega The Plastic Addict Content Contributor

News Credits:
    I've used krazy glue on a broken Minicon before. As far as functionality goes it holds strong and the figure works fine again. Problem is the part was clear plastic and you can easily see where it was broken. Don't know if it would be the same case on an opaque piece.

5. Ops_was_a_truck

Ops_was_a_truck JOOOLIE ANDREWWWWWS!!!!!!

Ebay:
    FYI to those worried about a haze after they use superglue - running a cloth doused with isoprohpyl alcohol over the hazed area a few times usually clears up the haze entirely. You could use Goo Gone too.

6. SocrManiac

SocrManiac TFW2005 Supporter

Future Floor Wax can also do a job on that CA haze., but you'll probably have to quote the entire part, rather than just the affected area.

The thing to remember is different plastics will have different reactions to bonding agents. Common plastics used in toys, such as polystyrene, polypropylene, polyvinyl chloride, acetate, etc should be bonded with agents that specifically address their structure. Certain glues that work well on polystyrene, for instance, can melt PVC. Additionally, accelerators will serve to aid you in quickly setting the glue, but will weaken the structure of the bond- usually a negative in toy application.

7. Wajo357

Wajo357 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    it would be great if people can post links to online alternatives to crazy glue. I just busted two pegs on MP-Megs and I have a feeling crazyglue won't cut it.

8. SocrManiac

I'd try an automotive-grade 2-part 15 minute epoxy on MP Megs.

9. Wajo357

Wajo357 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    thanks
    *scratches head*
    now where can I get one?

10. SocrManiac

Automotive grade. Automotive supply stores: Autozone, Pep Boys, Advanced Auto. NAPA, CAP, etc.

11. CommanderDARN

CommanderDARN Active Member

i snapped a transmetal 2 beast wars megs at the waist while transforming him any one have any suggestions what to use to repair.