Super charged immune system or just damn lucky?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by CdnShockwave, Mar 17, 2007.

1. CdnShockwave

CdnShockwave The Prince of Poses TFW2005 Supporter

The last time I was sick was in October 2006. Since then I've been drinking mass quantities of orange juice and apple juice every day. I worked it out and on an average day I consume about 600% of my daily Vitamin C requirement. Could this be why I haven't been sick in the last six months, despite being at a university where there's some bug or another going around at any given time? *shrugs*

2. MegaMoonMan

MegaMoonMan www.megamoonman.com TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube:
    I've gone that long without being sick before, and I never get enough C, so I'd say luck.

I'm sure all that C doesn't hurt, though.

3. Ogami Daigoro

Ogami Daigoro Blue Lantern Bearer

My current "health plan" consists of a multivitamin, an extra C and E vitamin, and orange juice daily. Zicam is used when I start to feel something bad coming. I avoided most colds for over a year, but unfortunately have been fighting off a cough and some minor congestion for the past month.

4. ams

ams Generation All Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Outside of seasonal sinus headaches, I haven't been ill with cold or flu in close to fifteen years. It's actually a bit bizarre.

I think you're right, though - vitamins coupled with general good eating habits and moderate exercise probably helps keep you ahead of the game.

5. MegaMoonMan

MegaMoonMan www.megamoonman.com TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube:
    Zicam actually works? I've tried using it (properly) before, and all it seemed to do was make my cold WORSE.

6. llamatron

llamatron Shut up, Nigel. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Perhaps a combination of both? I can regularly go over a year without being sick and I'm not really a super healthy kind of guy.

7. CdnShockwave

CdnShockwave The Prince of Poses TFW2005 Supporter

I've also been staying off the white/refined sugars, which might be another reason. I read that bacteria and such grow faster when you've got a lot of white/refined/basic sugars in your system. So more complex sugars (like those found in orange juice and such) are harder for them to break down and they don't grow as fast.

Same thing (again, I read this somewhere) applies to cancer. Cancer cells thrive on those basic sugars. In some cases you've had people who just cut off the basic sugars entirely and starve the cancer out by diet.

8. Insane Galvatron

Insane Galvatron is not insane. Really!

News Credits:
    You know the old saying, "An apple a day keeps the doctor away"? I've been putting it to the test. Each day I take a multivitamin and a banana for breakfast, then put some baby carrots and an apple in my lunch. Since then, I've felt better and have not been sick.

Eating healthy FTW!!

9. Katamari Prime

Katamari Prime Hassan Chop! TFW2005 Supporter

As long we're dicussing diet/healthy habits:

Staying away from High fructose corn syrup , trans fat, heavy accountable fats or heavily salted foods

A bowl of Shredded wheat, a can of well drained no sugar added peaches over yogurt

Moderate work out

A sandwich with whole wheat bread, a little mustard and cabbage; two carrots and stalks of celery, and a V-8

sensible dinner with an apple or salad.

lost 16 pounds and haven't gotten sick yet.

10. Kranix2k

Kranix2k Spare me this mockery!! TFW2005 Supporter

You've cursed yourself now - you'll probably have the flu within the next week or so. My wife and I said the same thing - 3 consecutive years without being sick (not even a cold) then BAM both of us get hit hard with the flu at the same time. Wife had it worse - strep throat on top of it all.

11. BigPrime3000

BigPrime3000 Well-Known Member

I'd say it's probably the vitamins, they do help if you are consistent with taking them. I'm lucky enough to have a pretty badass immune system. I get a minor cold that's more irritating than anything else once a year in the winter, but that's pretty much it. The last time I actually had a fever was Christmas day 2003, and I was only sick for two days that time.

12. eyeballkid

eyeballkid Old

green tea is the answer to everything!

13. Predaking

Predaking Well-Known Member

I am trying to drink cranberry juice, green tea, and take multivitamin whenever I can. I plan to go back to the gym either April or May and change my diet. So far I haven't been sick despite being in a company where many people took sick days so maybe they have an effect, however small.

14. LigerPrime

LigerPrime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Its the vitamin C. Late last year I was suffering from flu and sore throat but after taking more vitamin C via tablets and juice, the flu totally disappeared...of course, I consider "grace" as part of the equation too! LOL!

15. KA

KA PENIS GOES WHERE?!!

News Credits:
    dude youre a machine!

*does the robot*

16. Boggs6ft7

Boggs6ft7 TFW2005 Supporter

I would say the Vitamin C is helping you out giving your situation of being around so many people. I drink POB (Dole's pinapple-orange-banana juice) every morning and it really helps me. I'm a teacher exposed to a bunch of dirty kids all the time, so the diseases are thick. The flip side of that is that now I have a super-immune system from being exposed to so much and it takes something really strong to take me down.

17. Blunticon

Blunticon The Oddjob

Feeling good as a whole can have effects as well. If you feel good in the mind and body you and your energy is strong you can stay healthy and have no sickness.

18. MegaPrime33

MegaPrime33 Follow me @NerdActivist TFW2005 Supporter

I honestly used to go over a year without getting sick. However I noticed that the older I get, the more times I got sick. But I'm still glad that when I did, it only lasts a couple of days.

19. fschuler

fschuler Member TFW2005 Supporter

I treat my body like a portable job site toilet and haven't been sick in over 13 years...no shit!

20. Deefuzz

Deefuzz Beard On! Beardmaster! Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:

The mind is a powerful thing. I have gotten myself very sick from stressing out too much.