Heavy/Scratch: Super-articulated papercraft Optimus Prime by avon

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by Avon, Jul 4, 2011.

1. Avon

Avon Well-Known Member

Hi all,

I'd originally started this ages ago (there's an old post on the boards somewhere), but the first method I tried to use for the joints took ages to do, so I got bored. I came up with a solution (magnets), but then have been away for a while, so only just finished it.

I've always wanted some super-articulated, detailed, playable tfs, which I think basically means them not being able to transform; there'd just be too much complexity for it to hold together well (I think). Loving the action masters as a kid probably helped. (This doesnt mean I don't like the tfs we do get though!)
    I like the look of the revoltech movie op coming up, but I don't like how their joints move, they seem too awkward, the planes of motion at strange angles, judging by the Rodimus Prime I've got. So, I tried to make something that would do;

ImageShack Album - 15 images

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

It was modeled in google sketch up, and then I unfolded the parts with waybe (Waybe - From the digital to the real world - Home) and printed them out. The resolution of sketch-up isn't brilliant, but c'est la vie.

I would upload the printouts or sketch-up file, but I have no idea how to (the output files are in .htm for some reason - no idea how to convert them). It uses (10) 6x1 and (46) 4x1 Neodymium Magnets (about £10's worth) for the various joints. It's also got white parcel tape on some surfaces, to increase the tension on the joints.

I'm pretty happy with how it came out, but I think the limitations of paper and magnets (durability, and the complexity of design - the head is 13 individual pieces!) mean I won't make any more. If 3d printers become affordable at some point, then I'll probably return to do a load; something like the gundam Master Grade kits would be the approach I'd like to see (though not necessarily in kit form), and would give a go if the technology was there.

Edit: and sorry for the rubbish photos!

Attached Files:

2. Treadshot A1

Treadshot A1 Or just 'A1' for short...

The board doesnt allow .skp files. You could upload to a file hosting site, though I'm not sure what site. Either that or print out your template, and scan.

Nice model. Good to see another user of Sketchup. :) 

3. G60Force

G60Force World Smallest Mini-Con

Ebay:
    or use the free rapidshare.com

4. encline

encline customizer of love TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    man that is awesome!!

5. Alloy Alchemist

Alloy Alchemist Decepticon sympathizer

a true masterpiece in paper!

6. Theand

Theand Well-Known Member

Excelent, I like papercrafts too.

7. spoonman

spoonman Kitbasher extrordinaire!

This is absolutely amazing! Well worth the wait and I'm hoping you get going on another one, real soon!

8. robvega214

robvega214 Mp5_Brut

awesome shyt man

9. Avon

Avon Well-Known Member

Thanks for the comments!

I looked into rapidshare (thanks), and for anyone who wants them, the below link (should) be to a 7zip file with the print outs, the 3d file and some notes. Let me know if it doesnt work;

https://rapidshare.com/files/3924661474/papercraft_optimus.7z

Don't think I'll make another one, although I like how it came out, I'm a bit too much of a perfectionist. For me, I think I'll wait for 3d printing to become affordable and then give it a go in that medium.

It is amazing what some people manage to make out of paper, this pales in comparison to that movie bumblebee someone in china made!

And yep, sketchup is great! Apart from stuff like this, I use it for modelling redecorations/floor plans and helping get my head round a particular perspective to draw; no end of uses!

10. blaynescott

blaynescott Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    This is fantastic work Avon. :) 

I just posted another thread here asking if anyone had designs (or how to knowledge on putting together) something like this -- only with PLA Board / styrene sheets so it could be jointed with regular TF/robo joints.

I agree with wanting a super articulated Prime -I really buy/intend to build a MP-scale prime that's robot mode only. Your rapidshare post is downloading right now - thanks again for posting it. :)  If I make any progress with upscaling it for use with the headless/footless MP Prime body I have, I'll be sure to post in this thread. :) 

Last edited: Jul 6, 2011
  11. Avon

Avon Well-Known Member

Thanks! And good luck with the upscaling; I think it'd be fairly easy to do, you'd just need to perhaps use magnets with a slightly larger diameter.
    Hope you find a good way of using the sheets. It might not make sense to do so, but on the 3d printing theme, you could perhaps print out some of the parts through Shapeways | Passionate about creating or one of the similar sites.