Sunstreaker's Joints

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Tigertrack, May 3, 2010.

1. Tigertrack

Tigertrack Back In The Game!

I have a question regarding G1 Sunstreaker. Is it typical for his joints to be tight? My KO seems to be very, very tight at the shoulder. Sometimes I fear I'm going to brake his arm right at the hinge. I don't know if this is normal, or if it just feel's weak because it's a KO. I noticed on ebay somebody is selling the original red Diaclone figure with a broken arm. So maybe it's common amongst Sunstreaker figures?
    Mine already has a stress-mark right behind his arm. Will try and take a picture of it later.
    So, is this a common issue with all Sunstreakers? Or just an issue with KO's?

2. Auto Morph

Auto Morph Gimmick Bot

I used to own an original G1 Sunstreaker and the joints as a whole were always pretty tight. Not so tight that they risked breaking from usage, but in over 20 years of owning him, his joints remained tight all along.
    They just don't make 'em like they used to! Except they do really...

3. RoboticPlanet

RoboticPlanet Exclusively Exclusive

News Credits:
    I've never had this problem on any of the G1 Sunstreakers in my possession over the years. However, I have noticed similar problems with the KO Constructicons, also by Zhong Jin. Some joints are incredibly tight, leaving stress marks, but some are floppy-loose.

If the reverse-engineered theory behind the source of the molds is accurate, then the slightly different sized parts from these re-created molds could explain the joint issue.

4. Tigertrack

It makes me nervous transforming the figure, but I love doing so! Just don't want it to brake on me!

5. Paladine

Paladine Well-Known Member

Mine's very tight too. Just be careful when you transform him and you should be OK. Properly brace the joints with your other fingers to help reduce the load on the joints. Mine has a slight stress mark on one of the shoulders, but it's not growing any larger. I probably created it the first time I transformed him and wasn't aware of his stiffness.

6. Tigertrack

I tried to get a shot of the stress-mark. But it's right here just next to hinge of the black shoulder piece. Yea, I can see the stress-mark. It is practically in the middle of the photo.
    [​IMG]
    I noticed that the other side has a tiny one starting to form. Just wondering if this is a common occurrence to this figure, or to the KO version. KO's use weaker plastic perhaps?

7. Omnius

Omnius Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I have the reissue from 1990/91 and to this day the joints are still quite tight - the darnedest thing is, one of his fists likes to rotate until it's upside-down.

8. Tigertrack

Is there any way to reinforce this?

9. brr-icy

brr-icy G1 Collector

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    buy a real one loose incomplete for $20

10. chrisr291

chrisr291 Master of the Unknown

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Is that what G1 Sunstreaker is worth nowadays? damn.... glad I got rid of mine a long time ago.

Also, I wouldn't worry about the tight shoulders because it will loosen up the more you transform it.

11. Tigertrack

I'm not worried about the tightness, I'm worried about the stress in the plastic. I don't want the plastic to brake on me as I'm transforming him.

12. Lunar Archivist

Lunar Archivist Well-Known Member

I'm wondering if the problem might also be "Frankensteined" molds, i.e. in the sense that the KO makers used parts from different Sunstreakers to make an excellent condition master mold. The pre-rubsign and rubsign versions of Sunstreaker seem to use different molds for almost everything and trying to mix and match parts between them will only lead to disaster. Take this from someone with a lot of experience in that area. :( 

13. brr-icy

brr-icy G1 Collector

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    one that has no parts, not even the spoiler, a complete one is still a bit more than the ko

14. chrisr291

chrisr291 Master of the Unknown

News Credits:
    Ebay:

Oh ok, yeah maybe you should do that Marcatron? Just buy a junker and swap out the arms. Like what I did for Wheeljack.

15. Tigertrack

It's not the arms that are the problem. It's the thin bit of plastic their attached to.

16. brr-icy

brr-icy G1 Collector

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    then swap the good painted metal onto the junker, and you'll be good to go, as long as the junker isn't too junky